Reversible Errors: A Novel by Scott Turow

Reversible Errors: A Novel (edition 2002)

by Scott Turow

Member:cocomom1
Title:Reversible Errors: A Novel
Authors:Scott Turow
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2002), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*

Reversible Errors by Scott Turow

It can be depressing to spend much time in the hard, all-consuming life of police, prosecutors, and politicians, and defense lawyers, and the inexact legal system where truth runs out the door as it is trimmed for presentation in court. One feels for the poor schmucks with bad luck who get caught in all the messy sewerage of criminality and drown in it because they haven't got the advocacy that cleverer, richer schmucks often buy.

Pretty good story, pretty good writing, pretty good characters, and another window for those of us, peeping toms with a morbid fascination with the dark side, and a penchant for personal redemption even when it falls short of a completely happy ending. Strong characters with parallel love stories, and the police/legal system complicating their lives. ( )
  grheault | Jan 30, 2014 |
ereader ebook
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I read Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent which I liked, and its sequel, with which I was less enthralled. Then I got lawyered out by all the lawyer/crime/mystery books that proliferated like bunnies. This book was one my mother had looked forward to reading and purchased to read. I don't know if she ever did, but there were several clippings tucked carefully inside the book, which I have affixed to the back cover.

The plot revolves around the approaching death of a man convicted of a triple murder. But did he really do it or not? He's on death row as the book opens, next up for execution.

The actual story, they lawyer and investigation bits were par for the course. What made this book, for me, were the characters, particularly Arthur, Gillian and Susan. Those were of enough depth and interest to keep me going, not the "he's guilty/he's not guilty/oh maybe he's really guilty/maybe not" arc of the story.

I'll pass this on via BookCrossing or perhaps see if a friend would like it for the Ruthe/bumma connection. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 25, 2011 |
I forget how good Scott Turow is until I read another of his books. This is no exception! Rommy Gandolph is about to be executed for a triple murder and a court-appointed lawyer, Arthur Raven, must find a way to appeal the death sentence.
Raven is not your typical attorney-he is somewhat shy socially and is not flashy in anything. As he races against the clock, he uncovers alot of slime hidden under rocks. But will he be in time and manage to re-open the case?
A spellbinder and fast-paced novel-a must for Turow fans and suspense fans everywhere. ( )
  elliezann | May 2, 2010 |
While well written, this book belongs in a category I sometimes refer to as bubble-gum books and others sometimes refer to as grocery-store novels. Essentially, the book keeps my brain engaged on a very low level, much like chewing gum does. There is no thinking required and the pages turn by very quickly. This is not my way of saying that I didn’t like this book. That really isn’t the case despite how improbable the plot is.

A corporate attorney is assigned to a death-row inmate for the purposes of preparing any final appeals. Despite the inmates written and video-taped confession, he is now claiming innocence. From there the novel follows along so many plot twists and turns that it just sort of makes you shake your head.

This book isn’t on any list of mine, it just happened to cost a dollar at the thrift store so I grabbed it. ( )
  msstephaniebuck | Apr 4, 2010 |
reversible error, n. a legal mistake made by a trial court which is so significant that an appellate court reviewing the case must set aside the trial court's judgment. The trial court is then instructed either to dismiss the case, to retry the case, or to otherwise modify its decision.
Jonathan Galassi
The client, like most clients, said he was innocent.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446612626, Mass Market Paperback)

Arthur Raven, more versed in corporate law than criminal defense, is not eager to accept the court-appointed task of handling death-row inmate "Squirrel" Gandolph's last-minute appeal of his murder conviction. Fast approaching middle age, Arthur has come to terms with the burdens and disappointments of his life, among which are a schizophrenic sister for whom he is responsible and the realization that he will probably never make an enduring connection with a woman. But when evidence surfaces that might exonerate his client, he rises to the occasion with a quiet determination to see justice done. Facing a formidable prosecuting attorney and her former lover, the policeman whose testimony convinced Judge Gillian Sullivan to find Squirrel guilty, Arthur's persistence not only wins his client a temporary reprieve from execution but also endears him to Sullivan, who has fallen on hard times since Squirrel's trial--fresh out of prison herself for taking bribes, she is a most unlikely candidate for Arthur's affections. Scott Turow's masterful characterization of complex and multidimensional people catalyzed by events into searching reexamination of their own motives and ambitions is matched by the intricacies of his plot, which itself is well served by his insider's knowledge of the criminal justice system and his extraordinary understanding of the vagaries of the human heart. The prose is luminescent, the narrative compelling, and the moral implications of Arthur's personal and professional choices beautifully articulated. This is a tour de force for a novelist writing at the top of his game. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:17 -0400)

Scott Turow's thrilling drama follows the fate of Rommy Gandolph, an inmate on death row for a triple murder in Kindle County, and the legal friends and foes who hold the keys to his fate. As Rommy nears execution, Arthur Raven, his reluctant court-appointed lawyer, learns of new evidence that may exonerate him. But they run up against Muriel Wynn, Kindle County's formidable chief deputy prosecuting attorney, and Larry Starczek, the original detective on the case, who believe Rommy deserves to die -for many reasons, not all of which have to do with Rommy.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible