Reversible Errors: A Novel by Scott Turow

Reversible Errors: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Scott Turow

Title:Reversible Errors: A Novel
Authors:Scott Turow
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2002), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Reversible Errors by Scott Turow (2002)

Recently added byCindyMcMahon, JuliannMorris, private library, rowdybug, BKPugh, SLVLIB, GrammaB123

I've finished this book.
To the reader of that sentence it may sound like I'm sighing at the end of it and he would not be wrong.

It was a lot of pages, of which I'm not sure what they wanted to tell me. I often lost track of the (crook) characters and some storylines.

But... I do not entirely blame the book. It is the restlessness in me too, that makes it very hard to concentrate. Another day, under different circumstances this could have been a book I ejoyed very much. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jul 4, 2015 |
The bestselling author of "Burden of Proof" returns with a supercharged, exquisitely suspenseful novel about a vicious triple murder and the man condemned to die for it. Further complicating the situation is that the judge who originally found the man guilty is only recently out of prison herself, having served time for taking bribes. ( )
  Tutter | Mar 2, 2015 |
Read 1/15/2015 Not found of Turow
  trexm5qp7 | Jan 20, 2015 |
I pretty much loved this book, and I'm not even really sure if I can explain why. I'm so tired of legal thrillers--after awhile, they all seem the same. Same critiques of the legal system, same characters, etc. But I gave this book a try because I ready Scott Turow's One L (when I was a 1L) and it was so spot on and terrifying so I wanted to read Turow's fiction. And this book is so different from the usual legal thriller. The characters are complex; none of the characters (except for maybe Arthur) is truly good or truly evil. They all have their own motivations and their own complexities. Character development is so key to a good book and Turow nailed it in this one. Add to that a great whodunit and I couldn't put this book down. The only complaint I did have was what he did at the end-it almost felt like he was saying it was worse to be a heroin addict than an alcoholic. Maybe I'm a little sensitive to the issue, but addiction is addiction and is horrible in all its forms. I didn't understand the distinction between the horribleness of a judge presiding over a trial drunk vs. doped up. Regardless, I would definitely recommend this one and will definitely read another Turow. ( )
1 vote carebear10712 | Dec 31, 2014 |
It can be depressing to spend much time in the hard, all-consuming life of police, prosecutors, and politicians, and defense lawyers, and the inexact legal system where truth runs out the door as it is trimmed for presentation in court. One feels for the poor schmucks with bad luck who get caught in all the messy sewerage of criminality and drown in it because they haven't got the advocacy that cleverer, richer schmucks often buy.

Pretty good story, pretty good writing, pretty good characters, and another window for those of us, peeping toms with a morbid fascination with the dark side, and a penchant for personal redemption even when it falls short of a completely happy ending. Strong characters with parallel love stories, and the police/legal system complicating their lives. ( )
  grheault | Jan 30, 2014 |
reversible error, n. a legal mistake made by a trial court which is so significant that an appellate court reviewing the case must set aside the trial court's judgment. The trial court is then instructed either to dismiss the case, to retry the case, or to otherwise modify its decision.
Jonathan Galassi
The client, like most clients, said he was innocent.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446612626, Mass Market Paperback)

Arthur Raven, more versed in corporate law than criminal defense, is not eager to accept the court-appointed task of handling death-row inmate "Squirrel" Gandolph's last-minute appeal of his murder conviction. Fast approaching middle age, Arthur has come to terms with the burdens and disappointments of his life, among which are a schizophrenic sister for whom he is responsible and the realization that he will probably never make an enduring connection with a woman. But when evidence surfaces that might exonerate his client, he rises to the occasion with a quiet determination to see justice done. Facing a formidable prosecuting attorney and her former lover, the policeman whose testimony convinced Judge Gillian Sullivan to find Squirrel guilty, Arthur's persistence not only wins his client a temporary reprieve from execution but also endears him to Sullivan, who has fallen on hard times since Squirrel's trial--fresh out of prison herself for taking bribes, she is a most unlikely candidate for Arthur's affections. Scott Turow's masterful characterization of complex and multidimensional people catalyzed by events into searching reexamination of their own motives and ambitions is matched by the intricacies of his plot, which itself is well served by his insider's knowledge of the criminal justice system and his extraordinary understanding of the vagaries of the human heart. The prose is luminescent, the narrative compelling, and the moral implications of Arthur's personal and professional choices beautifully articulated. This is a tour de force for a novelist writing at the top of his game. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:20 -0400)

Scott Turow's thrilling drama follows the fate of Rommy Gandolph, an inmate on death row for a triple murder in Kindle County, and the legal friends and foes who hold the keys to his fate. As Rommy nears execution, Arthur Raven, his reluctant court-appointed lawyer, learns of new evidence that may exonerate him. But they run up against Muriel Wynn, Kindle County's formidable chief deputy prosecuting attorney, and Larry Starczek, the original detective on the case, who believe Rommy deserves to die -for many reasons, not all of which have to do with Rommy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,812,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible