Auto Repair For Dummies by Deanna Sclar

Auto Repair For Dummies (1976)

by Deanna Sclar

Series: for Dummies

I know basically nothing about cars. Didn't even get my license until I was 26. So I'm trying to learn, finally. I got this and one other book out of the library. Of the two, I liked this one better. Clear explanations, helpful pictures. I was able to check almost all the basic stuff under the hood of my truck, which made me feel really handy! (Also, I figured out that I was very low on coolant, and was able to top it off. Go me.) Never did finish it, for various reasons, but I think I want my own copy. ( )
  epersonae | Mar 30, 2013 |
I came across this book thirty years ago at the house of a friend, long before the Dummies series of books existed. I liked the concept, and when the Dummies series of books came out, I wondered about this book. Now this book has become part of the Dummies series. I am happy to say that my copy is pre-series - blue, hardcover, with a dust jacket - although I bought it after the series came into existence, having found it (the book, not the series) at some library or yard sale. But I keep wondering about what happened behind the scenes. Did somebody come across Auto Repair For Dummies, think: "What a great idea for a series of books!" and go from there? Or was it that the Dummies series got started, and then the Dummies people learned about this book and decided they had better bring it into the fold? Inquiring minds want to know.
  LydiaHD | Nov 7, 2006 |
For my children, Gina and Casey, who are now old enough for cars of their own.  May we stay "in tune" forever!

Most of us don’t know the first thing about the machines we’re licensed to drive – and this can turn a ticket to freedom into a ticket to trouble. If you’re like most people, you probably tend to drive around until something goes wrong with the car. You then incur the expense of replacing worn and burnt-out parts (or the entire engine) when low-cost, regular maintenance could have kept your wheels turning for a long time.

Auto Repair For Dummies is indispensable for anyone who is tired of nodding and smiling at the incomprehensible mutterings of your mechanic, only to end up shelling out money for repairs that you neither fully understand nor always need. This easy-to-understand guide is also for you if youDon't have the vaguest idea of how a car works.Can't identify anything you see under the hood of your vehicle.Are tired of other people assuming (especially if you’re a teenager or a woman) that you aren’t capable of handling repairs yourself.Don't want to feel helpless in an emergency.Are tired of being ripped off because of your own ignorance.

This book shows you how your car works; what it needs in the way of tender loving care; and how to keep from being overcharged if you need to entrust repairs to someone else. Auto Repair For Dummies also gives you the scoop on these topics and more:What makes your vehicle go (and how and why)A program of "preventive medicine" to avoid troubleShopping for tools and knowing how to use themDiesel engines and alternatively powered carsHow to keep your car looking its bestDealing with on-road emergenciesChecking your tires, alignment, and steering

By handling the simple maintenance and tune-ups and being able to diagnose trouble and perform the less complex repairs yourself, you’ll save some serious money. Once you break the ice (or crack open the hood), the heady sense of power will carry you through basic car repair and maintenance with confidence and ease.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:25 -0400)

Dispels the mysteries lurking under the hood by explaining every auto system--and shows you step-by-step how to diagnose problems, make uncomplicated repairs, and perform routine maintenance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,285,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible