HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Hobbit; or There and Back Again by…
Loading...

The Hobbit; or There and Back Again (1937)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prequel)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
65,1159006 (4.27)5 / 1956
  1. 910
    The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
  2. 270
    The Lord of the Rings {complete} by J.R.R. Tolkien (Percevan)
  3. 306
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
  4. 223
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
  5. 217
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
  6. 2310
    The Hobbit {graphic novel} by Charles Dixon (Percevan)
  7. 100
    Bilbo's Last Song by J.R.R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
  8. 71
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
  9. 93
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
  10. 41
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
  11. 20
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
  12. 86
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
  13. 10
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
  14. 32
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
  15. 33
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
  16. 77
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
  17. 11
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
  18. 12
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
  19. 23
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
  20. 1012
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

(see all 22 recommendations)

1930s (1)
Robin (1)
Unread books (1,050)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (839)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (9)  German (7)  Finnish (7)  French (6)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Serbian (1)  All (897)
Showing 1-5 of 839 (next | show all)
Um ehrlich zu sein, ist das mein zweiter Versuch, den Hobbit zu lesen.
Beim ersten Versuch kam ich ungefähr zu einem viertel, bis ich aufgegeben hat. Schade, denn danach wird es erst spannend.

Die Geschichte ist schön, und wurde zum Schluss hin auch spannend.

Würde der eigentlichen Geschichte 4 Sterne geben, jedoch habe ich mich über den Hintergrund informiert und daher nochmal einen Stern draufgegeben.

Meine Ausgabe ist eine der "alten", das heißt die ungeänderte Fassung, bevor Tolkien etwas daran ändern konnte, um den Hobbit etwas "erwachsener" zu machen. Diese kindliche Sprache hat mich etwas genervt, jedoch ist es ein Kinderbuch und daher sollte es mich nicht verwundern ;) Das Inkonsistente Storytelling von Tolkien erklärt sich anscheinend damit, dass der Hobbit das erste Buch war, und er dann erst die ganze Mythologie dazu erfunden hat.
Daher ist das verziehen und ich gebe einen Punkt mehr.

Die Übersetzung des Buches ist bescheiden. An einer stelle steht "es ging hübsch abwärts", wo ich mir sicher bin dass im Original stand "it went pretty downhill"...das als hübsch an der stelle zu übersetzen...nun ja. Das nächste Mal lieber das Original lesen.

Zur Geschichte selbst: Ähnlich wie in HdR eine "Reisegeschichte", in der der Protagonist einige Gefahren überstehen muss, und am Ende des Abenteuers wieder nach Hause geht, jedoch nicht mehr derselbe ist. Selbst wenn es ein Kinderbuch ist, merkt man was der Autor über Reichtum, Kriege und Demokratie denkt.

Alles in allem schön zu lesen, es war toll wieder in Mittelerde zu sein. Könnte gleich nochmal ein Buch über Mittelerde lesen. Wie gut das PJ drei Filme macht ;-) ( )
1 vote Geektesse | Dec 10, 2017 |
**Reread in 2015 to Jefferson as a bedtime story book. Wonderful to read aloud, despite the scores of gruff male voices that are a challenge to differentiate.

Review from first reading: (in 2012)
Somehow, for the past decade or so, I have been convinced that I had already read this book. When I finally read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I didn't start with The Hobbit instead, because I'd read that one. But talking with Andrew while he read this book on the train ride to Texas, I began to suspect that this wasn't so. So on the train ride back home, I snatched my book back, and it didn't take more than a few pages to convince me that no, I'd never read The Hobbit. (Later I came to the conclusion that I had read a very abridged version that was a tie-in to the cartoon as a child.)

That said, it was kind of wonderful to read this book after the LOTR trilogy. Already fond of Bilbo, already pitying/loathing Smeagol/Gollum, seeing the eagles again, learning more about the ways of dwarves, and, of course, Gandalf, Gandalf, Gandalf.

There seems no point in reviewing the plot, as everyone knows at least the bones of the plot (even those who've never read the book!) There seems to be no point in discussing the worthiness of the book or the skill of the author, as people seem to be Tolkien fans or not. And in this age of Peter Jackson, it seems inconceivable that any English-speaking person could not know which camp they fall into.

Though I will say that the beginning of the final conflict was surprisingly difficult reading. So many sides with vested and opposing interests, and all of their positions were both understandable and reprehensible. Even Bilbo himself. It all ended alright finally, of course, as it must in a story when you know how the main characters turn out seventy or so years later.

Additionally, I will say that I have finally learned my lesson regarding books and movies. Two months was not enough time to let go of the book version of this story. Every other moment watching the movie I was (mentally) screaming, "What the what?" In the future: if there aren't six months to pass between book and movie, wait and watch the movie first. Especially in this case, when Gollum was already firmly Andy Serkis in my mind anyway.

( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Lord of the Rings fan which was a great read
  Florian5 | Nov 30, 2017 |
The Hobbit
The word "Hobbit" is the name of a mythological species. They all have pointy ears, and hairy feet which is probably why they walk around bare foot. They also grow to be shorter than dwarfs.

The hobbit in this story goes by the name Bilbo Baggins just like in the movie, and when I found that out, I knew that it would be like the movie. So far, a wizard named Gandalf tried talking Mr.Baggins into going on an adventure, but Bilbo said "I do not want any adventures here!", and unusually said "Good morning." in the afternoon.

by: Samuel F. Wright

book author: J.R.R. Tolkien
  Samwri621 | Nov 28, 2017 |
Again, I read this in highschool, and now can't recall how good it was. I think it was a lot of fun. 3/5 stars let's say. ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 839 (next | show all)
For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.
 
This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.
 
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times
 
A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer
 
Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit
 

» Add other authors (31 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Tolkien, J.R.R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Agøy, Nils IvarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anderson, Douglas A.Notesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Andersson, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Balčienė, BronėTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barcia, Moises R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beagle, Peter S.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ciuferri, CaterinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cooley, StevenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ensikat, KlausIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Figueroa, ManuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, EricIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hague, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hehn-Kynast, JulianeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huwendiek, RolandCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Inglis, RobNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansson, ToveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jeronimidis Conte, ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juva, KerstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalka, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krege, WolfgangÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lauzon, DanielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, FrancisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meinzold, MaxCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parcerisas, FrancescTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pitkänen, RistoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Popkema, Anne TjerkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rajamets, HaraldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rajandi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodrigues, Fernanda PintoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scherf, WalterÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skibniewska, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swedenmark, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szobotka, TiborTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trebels, RüdigerCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vrba, FrantišekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zetterholm, ToreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit"
Quotations
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

  • Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

  • Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Book description
[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
Haiku summary
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

(see all 19 descriptions)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

» see all 44 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
321 avail.
986 wanted
2 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.27)
0.5 12
1 164
1.5 44
2 430
2.5 136
3 2038
3.5 501
4 5345
4.5 850
5 8320

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,624,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible