The Hobbit; or There and Back Again by…

The Hobbit; or There and Back Again (1937)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prequel)

64,0058917 (4.27)5 / 1949
    The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings {complete} by J.R.R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    The Hobbit {graphic novel} by Charles Dixon (Percevan)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J.R.R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J.R.R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (1)
Robin (1)
Unread books (1,050)

English (831)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (9)  Finnish (9)  German (7)  French (6)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Serbian (1)  All (890)
Never watch a movie before reading its related novel! It might spoil the novel for you (and I don't like a novel being spoiled!). I did that mistake in The Hobbit, and my journey through the novel became unexpected. The first reaction was - "Whoah! where is all the heroism of the dwarf king Thorin?". I found the novel dwarves whiny to the point of annoyance. Also, I admit that I missed the White Council meeting shown in the movie.

Having said that, its totally unfair to compare then novel that is so old to a movie that was made so recently. So, keeping aside my whiny tone, I loved the novel. Tolkien greatly characterizes Bilbo, starting from a timid, easy-living hobbit to a mature, brave one. However, I felt that the dwarves lacked a bit of details. The journey to the Lonely Mountain was gripping. No one will ever forget Bilbo's encounter with Gollum, and his acquisition (or stealing?) of The Ring. The courage of Bilbo really bloomed when he saved the dwarves from the spiders, after which he actually kept saving them from every living thing.

The demise of Smaug was disappointing. I felt like the whole build-up of the dragon during the story went in vain. However, the Battle of Five Armies was conversely interesting; my most favorite part after Bilbo and Gollum. Bard filled the place of a much required heroic Man.

I would have loved the showing up of the White Council's assault on Dol Guldur. However, I understand that story doesn't relate to our main character - The Hobbit.

jayesh.bhoot | Aug 15, 2017 |
What a read! I love the creativity and unusual characters (not to mention, the interesting places, behaviors, and foods, among other things), vivid detail, imaginative plot, and, basically every aspect of this tale. This is definitely an epic I can read over and over again, and not get bored. I love the author's narration (it seems like he's conversing with you) and explanations of unfamiliar concepts, and his ability to describe happenings in the novel in such a way that evokes intense reactions. At certain moments, I could feel myself tense and hold my breath. Later, when dangerous moments or precarious situations were over, I'd exhale audibly, making anyone nearby wonder what was going on and what was I reading like that. That's characteristic of a great book! ( )
  Trisarey | Aug 7, 2017 |
I read this book as a buddy read on Litsy. I have had it on my shelf for a long time. I have seen the movies but never read the book. I am so glad I joined in on the read and read the book. What a fun and amazing adventure Bilbo went on. I absolutely loved the way Tolkein told this story. It was a lot more happy and upbeat than the movies are. Was very surprised by that. I would definitely recommend this book! ( )
  MinDea | Aug 6, 2017 |
Originally posted at http://abooksofathomless.blogspot.com.au/

A couple of years ago, fourteen year-old Ely thought that reading The Hobbit sounded like an excellent idea and so she borrowed it from her school library- she hardly managed to get past the first chapter. Fast-forward, April 2012: Ely decides yet again that she will try to read The Hobbit- this times she gets five chapters in before she puts the book down again. December 23rd, 2012 rolls around and Ely realises she has six days until she is going to see the movie with her friends which means six days to read the book.

And so began my third attempt of reading The Hobbit and finally, my first successful attempt. If you happened to read my book to movie adaption review (which will be linked further down), you'd known that despite my original difficulty with this book, this time around after the first few chapters I found myself really enjoying what I was reading. As mentioned in the book to movie, I fell in love with all the characters and the world fairly quickly (some more quickly than others), as well as the narrative style that has an aspect of teasing about future events to you.

Out of the three parts (determined by where the movies will end, or rather where they are rumoured to end)- the first and last parts were definitely my favourites. The first part because of the characters, objects, places etc. that were introduced that I was aware of from my very limited knowledge of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the third part because of all the action that was happening and ultimately how everything wrapped up.

Sometime in 2013 I plan to actually pick up The Lord of the Rings books for the first time and hopefully enjoy them as much as I enjoyed The Hobbit! ( )
  EarlGreyBooks | Aug 2, 2017 |
I'm not a fantasy fan really, and despite a couple of attempts have never managed to conquer Lord of the Rings. This is a lovely, accessible story though - a true classic. ( )
  bevok | Jul 31, 2017 |
For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.

This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.

A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

Tolkien, J.R.R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit"
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.
[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

3 2012

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible