dismiss

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (1937)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Series: The Lord of the Rings (Prelude)

73,6229848 (4.27)6 / 2065
Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia) by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: An Illustrated Edition of the Fantasy Classic by Chuck Dixon (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (1)
Robin (1)

English (917)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (9)  German (7)  French (7)  Finnish (6)  Danish (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Serbian (1)  Polish (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (980)
What to say about a classic? My expectations were very high, so it is no surprise to be disappointed. I love the LOTR movies, and since the Hobbit is coming out, I really wanted to read it before seeing it.

A big pile of meh. I know that is almost blasphemy, but I hated the writing style. The story wasn't bad, but hated the way he told the story, slipping in and out of the narrative. It didn't help that the language was tough.

Most likely, had I read this book as a kid, I'd loved it. It has almost everything. But now, the magic of the book can only be displayed on scene. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
I’d read The Hobbit some ten years ago, went to see the film without any clear memory of the thing, and then just had to reread it again. What really struck me was how much fun this story really is. Sure, it has its meandering sections as do most travelogues. But especially the role of the narrator becomes the highpoint of the book for me: he pinpoints certain things, important or peripheral, breaks off the narrative to explain something else entirely, intervening in good humor.

The Hobbit is brilliantly redolent and entertaining literature on its own, not only as a kind of sidekick to The Lord of the Rings. I’m sure I’ll revisit it many times in years to come. ( )
  Thay1234 | May 27, 2020 |
As its a renowned book based on which a movie is made. There is a minor difference in both, There is more masala in the movie whereas in the movie its not. A importance is given to the warg and bolg in the movie whereas in the book its only a normal character. Loved reading the book it was revisiting the movie again. Overall The Hobbit is a mustread Goodread... :) ( )
  ShriVenne | May 14, 2020 |
In a forgotten world called Middle - Earth, is an adventure that pulled a peaceful hobbit into a world beyond his own. The hobbit lived peacefully until he ran into Gandalf the wizard and thirteen rowdy dwarfs how need a burglar for their quest. The adventures have a quest that lead to an old dwarven kingdom filled with treasure that a dragon invaded and took over. The group runs into many foes before they are in site of the mountain, they face ferocious trolls and are nearly eaten but Gandalf turns them to stone and finds their loot cave. Also along the way they fight orcs and eventually lead them to elves ( the dwarfs loath elves) which they ditch Gandalf with them. Along a mountain is a battle of giants that forces the group into a cave and guess what, that the cave is the goblin's front door. So the dwarfs and Bilbo get captured and some of the weapons found in the cave were goblin's worst nightmare. just as they were going to die, Gandalf saves the day. As they ran, Bilbo falls into a crack of a home of a little creature called Gollem. After a battle of riddles and wights, Bilbo gets a ring that makes one invisible and is able to escape Gollem. Back in the mountain, the dwarfs and Gandalf kill the Goblin's leader and escape from their. As the group runs into the wilderness, the goblin's allies the worgs ( large and deadly wolfs) chase them up a few trees but giant eagles end up saving them. once that nightmare is over, the dwarfs have to get threw a dangerous woods called Mirkwood but they get some help to get threw the woods. The help doesn't go a long way because the the group minus Gandalf and Bilbo get captured by spiders, Bilbo uses the ring to get the spider's attention and free his friends. When the group finds the main road, they are taken prisoner by wood elves. The Wood elf king wants to know what the dwarfs are doing in Mirkwood but the dwarfs know the elf king will take a lot of the treasure if told. Bilbo is able to sneak around the Elf king's palace and is able to come up with an escape plan and get a way t the town below the mountain. The adventures are able to get to the town they need and are treated as royalty in the town. The only question remains, will the dwarfs and Bilbo be able to slay Smaug the dragon and what will happen when Smaug is dead with his hoard unprotected?

This was my all time favorite book, hands down. The author gave the book a lot of details and plenty of plot. The only down side of the story was that the book was so compact the story was a little crushed in the book in itself. Also the book didn't end how I thought it would end with the dwarfs and Bilbo slaying Smaug and taking the treasure. Instead a village nobody killed Smaug and all of a sudden, the town thinks they get half the treasure for killing the dragon. The battle at the end was a little foreseeable. Something that did surprise me, was that Bilbo betrayed the Dwarfs and gave the most important treasure to the human/elf combo. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes fairy fantasy, action, and plot twist. I am really excited to read the Lord of the Rings that might have the end of the ring. ( )
  CErickson.ELA4 | Apr 20, 2020 |
Again a newer translation by Wolfgang Krege of the otherwise wonderful tale by J.R.R. Tolkien. The simplifications made by the translater unfortunately don't improve the book. The older translation by Walter Scherf is way better than this. ( )
  WiebkeS | Apr 13, 2020 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, frequently bound in three Volumes, as follow:
  • Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";

• Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and

• Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.
This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,475,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible