The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (original 1937; edition 1985)

by J.R.R. Tolkien

54,0437068 (4.26)5 / 1550
Member:chrissybob
Title:The Hobbit
Authors:J.R.R. Tolkien
Info:Ballentine (1985), Paperback
Collections:Your library, 1001 List
Tags:1001 list, fantasy, read

The Hobbit: or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1937)

1930s (1)
Unread books (1,138)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: A Graphic Novel by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (DeathByPain)
    DeathByPain: The first book in Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series

English (647)  Spanish (13)  Finnish (9)  Dutch (8)  German (6)  French (5)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Serbian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (704)
"The Hobbitness of Mr. Baggins seems to me one of the most difficult and triumphant achievements of the book ... I had an operation nearly a month ago and hope to get out quite soon now. The Hobbit has done a great deal to turn these weeks into a pleasure. And as for new editions ... there will be dozens of them: of that I have no doubt whatever."

Letter from Arthur Ransome to J. R. R. Tolkien, 17 Dec. 1937, reproduced in Signalling from Mars : the letters of Arthur Ransome, 1997, p. 251.
  ArthurRansome | Jan 25, 2015 |
Only thing by him I could ever get through. I liked it, just not enough to read 2000 more pages. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 25, 2015 |
This is actually my second time reading The Hobbit and I have to say that I enjoyed it much more the second time around. I'm not saying that I loved it (cause I didn't) or that I would read it again voluntarily (cause I wouldn't) but I didn't want to just quit reading it like I did the last time I gave this book a go in high school.

At first, the writing was driving my crazy, and then I realized that I was reading it wrong. I realized that you weren't supposed to read this book like it was a story written down and reworked into nice language to like most books, but that it needed to be read as if you were hearing the story being told to you orally. I began to read it like someone was reading it out loud to me, and that's when I actually started to enjoy it. At that point, I finally realized what the appeal is of this book. It's rather charmingly written when you it read like this, and as an adult (well, mostly) I was able to remember the nights when my mom would read to me before bed, and this since of nostalgia actually made me like this book.

As for the story, I thought it was fun and I can't say that I was bored while reading it. Something is always happening (even if that something isn't very well explained. *cough, cough* how did they across the river *cough, cough*) and I liked to see the growth in the character of Bilbo.

While at first Bilbo seems a little pathetic and unadventurous, as the story continues, he begins to gain his confidence and basically becomes the leader of this group. Bilbo gets the dwarves out of so much trouble that you actually start to wonder whether or not dwarves are even worth anything. Seriously. How many times can you honestly get yourself into trouble. They all would have died without Bilbo. Granted, they realize this and often thank Bilbo for saving their skins yet again.

Overall, this book was fun to read and I'm glad that I was forced to give it another shot. I actually got so much more out of it reading it as an adult than as a teenager. I can see why Tolkien remains one of the most iconic writers of all time since he still remains an example for fantasy writers today. ( )
1 vote kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Excellent! The world building and characters in this book were fantastic. I really wish that I had read this book as a teenager.

I do, however, have two complaints. One is that the final confrontation with Smaug was a huge let down after all that build-up surrounding it. I really wish there had actually been a confrontation between Smaug, Bilbo, and the dwarves. Instead, the freakin Dragon gets taken down by some random guy that I'm fairly certain we never actually saw until he randomly popped-up in one of Tolkien's cut-away scenes. Lame.

I also had a problem with Tolkien constantly knocking Bilbo out during the action scenes in order to skip over having to write battles. It kind of killed the suspense to have this huge battle getting started only to have Bilbo get smashed upside the head and then have to read through a bunch of people summarizing for Bilbo what happened while he was out. What really bothered me about this is that Thorin, Fili, and Kili's deaths didn't have any real impact since it was pretty much, "oh by the way, Bilbo, Thorin is dying and he wants to tell you a quick peace out. Also, Fili and Kili totally died. They got speared by goblins or something. I'm not too sure what actually happened but I'm positive their deaths were honorable."

Anyway, now I feel the need to re-read Fellowship of the Ring and finally get around to reading the last two books in the series. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I can't believe I have lived for forty years and allowed this book to somehow pass me by. The warmth and wealth of detail therein makes me glad to read every word and savour every page. It made me want to gather children all around and read it all aloud. Indeed, I must have read a good quarter, if not a third, of the book out loud to myself - it seemed such a waste to have this story simply rolling around in my head.

As a fore-runner to Lord of the Rings, I both look forward to reading that next, and rather worry that it won't live up to it. 'The Hobbit' somehow embodies a purity, an innocence, of storytelling, rife with stereotypical characters - fierced and greedy dragons, avarice driven dwarves, fae and distant elves, and tough, flawed men. The story makes reference to princesses to rescue, treasure to seek, adventures to be had, and goblins to avoid. Somehow, I associate the Lord of the Rings with the more studious side of J R R Tolkien. When I look at the 1000 pages and the expansive appendices I see a work that warrants study, a careful attention to every detail contained therein. I can imagine the need for silence and the taking of notes, a reverential approach akin to leafing through some ancient chronicle. The Hobbit, however, filled me with a sense of fun, a sensation of rolling along with the grumbling band of dwarves and a hobbit, myself there with them to share in the adventure. I found reading the book a joy - something that left a smile on my face, that lingers there even now as I write this review.

We follow Bilbo Baggins, a man not taken with the idea of adventure, and more interested in the next meal and a comfortable chair, as he goes off with a dozen dwarves to claim back a hoard from beneath a dragon. With Gandalf to bring them together and guide them, they head out on the long journey through haunted forests, goblin filled mountains, desolate wastelands, and places filled with hardship. They find friends, enemies, allies and monsters - including the first appearance of Gollum as he loses possession of The One Ring to Bilbo, the burglar. In the end, despite his misgivings, Bilbo finds his taste for adventure, embraces his Tookish bloodline, and we set the stage for great events to come.

I loved this book from start to finish, devouring every page and rejoicing in every word. I sang each song aloud, and - as mentioned - read much out loud. I recommend you consider doing the same. If a parent, read it to your children. As a lover of fantasy or Tolkien, or both, read it to your self. Or find a circle of like-minded friends and take turns to tell the tale, like the dwarves and their burglar hobbit sitting close around the campfire. ( )
  PaulBaldowski | Jan 24, 2015 |
The English-speaking world is divided into those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and those who are going to read them.
added by ed.pendragon | editSunday Times

A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.

For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit"
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, normally bound in three Volumes, as follows:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,157,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible