El hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

El hobbit (original 1937; edition 1983)

by J. R. R. Tolkien, Manuel Figueroa (Translator)

51,444None8 (4.26)5 / 1428
Member:Chimista
Title:El hobbit
Authors:J. R. R. Tolkien
Other authors:Manuel Figueroa (Translator)
Info:Minotauro | Barcelona | Noviembre 1983 | 1ª edición | 3ª reimpresión
Collections:Your library, Read, Fantástico y terror, Narrativa, Narrativa contemporánea
Tags:Literatura inglesa, J. R. R. Tolkien, Novela, Siglo XX, Narrativa contemporánea, Fantástico, Minotauro

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1937)

20th century (273) adventure (718) Bilbo Baggins (190) British (317) British literature (216) children's (362) children's literature (227) classic (940) classics (553) dragons (449) dwarves (358) elves (297) epic (212) fantasy (9,273) fiction (4,941) hobbits (812) J.R.R. Tolkien (297) literature (504) Lord of the Rings (867) magic (318) Middle Earth (1,372) novel (559) own (280) read (820) science fiction (228) series (229) sff (306) Tolkien (1,858) wizards (292) young adult (214)
1930s (1)
Unread books (1,079)
    The fellowship of the ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: A Graphic Novel by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Anonymous (benmartin79)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (DeathByPain)
    DeathByPain: The first book in Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series

English (603)  Spanish (12)  Finnish (8)  Dutch (8)  German (6)  French (5)  Swedish (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Catalan (2)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Serbian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (657)
The story of a hobbit journeying from his safe home to a dangerous mountain in control of a dragon. Sounds good? It is.

I tried reading it when I was in junior high school but couldn't get past the unexpected party. I have wanted to try again from some time now and I think I was pushed by the movies coming out. It is a well told tale that kept my interest and I can see why it is a classic. There were a couple of places where I wanted things to turn out differently or with more detail but this is a book I would read again. ( )
  midkid88 | Apr 9, 2014 |
This was a fast read for me. I love the series of Lord of the Rings. In this book Bilbo Baggins is selected by Gandalf to joins the dwarves on a quest. Bilbo becomes a hero for his actions.

This book isn't that in depth as The Lord of the Ring series, but equally good. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
The Hobbit is just good clean fun, delightful for children and adults. If you've read LOTR and wondered how Bilbo got the ring, here's the story. I enjoyed Tolkien's omnicient narrator style in this book --somewhat like Thackeray's Vanity Fair, and more recently Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell-- which I suppose he adopted because he was writing for children. I think it's charming.

I highly recommend the audiobook, read by Rob Inglis. He's a Royal Shakespeare company actor and the best audiobook reader I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot of them). He has a different voice for each dwarf, and he does a great Gollum, too. He actually sings the songs (nice voice!) and he even belches up ponies. The scene with the trolls is especially well-done. Mr. Ingliss could probably make one of Terry Goodkind's later books sound exciting, but The Hobbit actually is exciting and I highly recommend it for adults and kids.
Read more J.R.R. Tolkien book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
1 vote Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
It tells the first adventure of Bilbo Baggins to win a share of the treasure guarded by the dragon, Smaug. Bilbo enter in the company formed by twelve dwarves to earn it. It is fantastic book, it is very enjoyable and I recommend everyone who like fantasy literature to read it.
  Jmariscal | Mar 24, 2014 |
The English-speaking world is divided into those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and those who are going to read them.
added by ed.pendragon | editSunday Times

A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.

For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, normally bound in three Volumes, as follows:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

Two editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible