The Hobbit: Or, There and Back Again

The Hobbit: Or, There and Back Again (original 1937; edition 1981)

60,8008408 (4.27)5 / 1933
Member:aardvark2
Title:The Hobbit: Or, There and Back Again
Authors:
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: Graphic Novel by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Elven by Bernhard Hennen (PitcherBooks)
    PitcherBooks: While I enjoyed The Hobbit a bit more than the Elven, I like The Elven much more than the LOTR. I have yet to read the sequels but Elven had the feel of a fantasy classic to it. Time will tell... Pros: Great world-building and characters, mostly action, adventure and magic with only the last tenth or so devoted to the obligatory war. Since I'm not big on wars this was a major plus. Con: The Hobbit was shorter, more endearing and faster moving. Elven is a lengthy tome but the characters and adventures held my interest even so.… (more)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)

1930s (1)
Robin (1)
Unread books (1,050)

English (782)  Spanish (13)  Finnish (9)  Dutch (8)  German (7)  French (6)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  Serbian (1)  All (840)
This book by J.R.R. Tolkien is a classic! It is the story of Bilboa Baggins and his adventure through middle earth. It is full of fantastical creatures such as Elves, Dwarfs, Orks, Wizzards, and Hobbits. I think that this book would be a great book for a student who is interested in fantasy and magic. I believe that this book would also be a great book to read aloud to your older students because I believe they would be more involved in the story.
  kristenbnoble | Apr 20, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. I hadn't read a book for pleasure in a long time, but this book had me hooked and got me back into reading. At 300 pages in length, the book isn't too difficult of a read. The content of the actual book was very engaging, as it introduced the reader to many magical, and fantastical creatures and events. Another aspect of the book that I really value is how the author was able to make each character feel individual and had plenty of personality. There were no "filler" characters and everyone is introduced for a reason. I think the authors purpose for writing this book was to expand the readers imagination in order to entertain. ( )
  mbalte1 | Apr 5, 2017 |
I was trying to remember when I first read this because I know I already had when we did it as a class in Grade... Four I think? Possibly Six, my classmates were by and large illiterate. I then realised that this is one of those books I distinctly remember my mom reading to me and it's probably one of my earlier still-very-clear memories. All of this to say that this book is an old, old favourite and I just re-read it in anticipation of the film that's in progress. I think this book is more perfect than the sequel-trilogy that is more lauded. The pacing of adventures, the superiority of our more glancing sightings of the world of Middle Earth, the amount of humour in our protagonist Bilbo, and oh my god the length. I was done it in the space of a few hours and loved every minute. I've got nothing against long books, really, and like anyone when I enjoy a work I'd like it to last just a little longer, please, but this is perfect for and adventure novel of light spirits. I also find it just fantastic for the main cast. We're following thirteen dwarves and a hobbit. Hardly the most romantic heroes you could think of. It's a rather unusual choice for protagonists, but of course that is the point. (As a side note, the thirteen dwarves were the reason Jackson half-dreaded making the film, and no wonder.) ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This book would best be used as an independent read for a high school student. This book is a tough read, it has a lot of made up names and places and without good comprehension, it would be very hard to follow. It would be best as an independent read because not everyone would enjoy this book, but some would so they could choose this to read. it is very good and well written and would fit very well into a classroom. ( )
  TimGordon | Mar 31, 2017 |
It's been a long time since I've read the Hobbit, but with the movie coming out soon, I felt now would be a good time to reread and see how the LOTR thing first got started.

Well, I was suprised as this book is significantly different in style and reading level than the LOTR books. It works, but at a different more innocent level. You can sense the seeds of the works to come, but it truly was a book that Tolkien wrote as a story to his children and as such the violence is minimized and/or ignored and the whimsy elements are ramped up.

Still, it's way cool to read and remember the beginnings of the things to come, and in some way to see the innocence that later gets shattered. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
The original edition of this book was my absolute favorite as a child. My father (who was one of the first people in America to red LOTR --he read the first volume and was so eager for the rest that my mother had copies of the later volumes set over from England) gave e a copy for Christmas when i was one, and read it to me before I could read myself --I cans till see him and hear him doing it in my memory. This specific copy came out much later when LOTR had become an industry It is very pretty, with a leather binding, nice clear print and a slipcase, but of course it is the second edition, and when I read the opening (which I had practically memorized) I can still catch changes --where the original said hobbits were "smaller than dwarves but very much larger than Lilliputians" this says simply they were smaller than dwarves. Where the original said that it was said one of the Tooks had married into a fairy family "the less friendly said a goblin family" the second edition simply says a fairy family and adds "that was, of course absurd" though I think myself the idea of elvish blood in the Tooks was nice. The major change, of course, is the revision of the story of how Bilbo got the ring;I really preferred the first version and still do, and I do not like to think of Bilbo lying to the dwarves about it. I think Tolkien may have changed it to make the point that Bilbo got the ring while showing mercy, and that was why it did not ruin him as it ruined others Those changes are why I rate this version 4.5 stars; I would rate the first edition at 5.

A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit"
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, normally bound in three Volumes, as follows:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

This is an edition of the full text of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, illustrated by Alan Lee: ISBN 10 0007611625; ISBN13: 9780007611621. It can and should be combined with the original work.
[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

3 1921

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 1598878980, 1611749085

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible