No title (1937)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (1937)

The fellowship of the ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: Illustrated Edition by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Whale Kingdom Quest by Ming-Wei (Rossi21)
    Rossi21: This is a alternative science fiction type of novel, very interesting
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling (Eleanor.ela)
    Eleanor.ela: Both by British authors, both fantasy, both have giant spiders, both have imaginary creatures :)

1930s (1)
Unread books (1,167)

English (674)  Spanish (13)  Finnish (9)  Dutch (8)  German (7)  French (6)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Serbian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (733)
"There are some things in life that you just don't forget, like the first time you manage to read a book on your own. This was the first actual book I read by myself, when I was around six years old. Since then, I read it a few more times with different reasons for doing so; sometimes for the sheer thrill of immersing myself in this story again, other times when I wanted to learn new languages and needed to practice reading a story that I liked, for learning a new language can be painful sometimes. Not with this book, though. I can't get enough of The Hobbit. Some people might argue that there's no real literary value to it, since the story is real simple and also there are no hidden deep messages on this book, but I say: screw it! This book is targeted at kids and I can't picture any kids complaining of a simple story, especially when it's so gripping, enchanting and well developed like this.

I'm assuming everybody knows about Bilbo and hobbits already, so I'm going to skip explanations and stick to my favorites aspects about this story. First of all: the level of detail. Seriously, Tolkien does such a wonderful job of describing every single thing on the environment where any given scene is happening that it's just impossible for one not to get a clear picture of everything on their mind. Secondly, there is a certain flow on his writing style that I fail to find on the work of any other author. He uses metaphors in such a smart way, connecting things which relation would probably go completely unnoticed under the watch of others.
Though they were much relieved, they were inclined to be grumpy at being frightened for nothing; but what they would have said, if he had told them at that moment about the Arkenstone, I don't know. Their mere fleeting glimpses of treasure which they had caught as they went along had rekindled all the fire of their dwarfish hearts; and when the heart of a dwarf, even the most respectable, is wakened by gold and by jewels, he grows suddenly bold, and he may become fierce.

This two factors alone were enough to make me love this book, but there is more. All the characters are complex, thus believable. Everyone has their unique features, personalities, vestments and historical background. Speaking of historical background, here is one more point that I have to mention: Tolkien takes his time to write his story. There is no rushed appearance from a random character that, one or two chapters after, vanishes without any good reason, like in some fantasy books out there. Everything that happens in explained down to - for some people - the most excruciating boring detail. I don't care about it; to be honest, I am not one to complain about a good background, but, you know, there are those who are not that much patient, so...

I didn't know it as a child, obviously, but now that I've read all Lord of the Rings books I can say that The Hobbit is a book quite different. It has a lighter tone and is more light-hearted, more relaxed and amusing. Bilbo then is a compelling character, fun and funky, a little chap who thinks he does not have many qualities, not only because of his tiny stature, but also because of his personality, which will be looked upon harshly by other, at first; soon enough, though, he grows on his companions and also on the reader. The dwarves are also hilarious, and if there's one thing you notice is that they are quite different: a mixture of pride and stubbornness, a group that sings songs from the mines and eat like crazy.

For those who despise this book for its simplicity, I must say that there are actually many lessons that you can learn from this story; lessons that have the power of changing your personality, actually, especially if you read it when you're very young. No, it's not food for hungry minds starving for deep intellectual knowledge, but I'm damned if kids don't turn into better human beings after reading such beautiful displays of friendship, loyalty, courage and self-sacrifice. It is a book of fairy tales, this is probably the definition that fits him best; it should be read to all the children, or by all children. Regardless, adults who still want to dream, smile, and be filled with the good vibes of this story, could also find the time to take a trip to Middle-Earth.

The Last Passage
They fell to talking of their times together, of course, and Bilbo asked how things were going in the lands of the Mountain. It seemed they were going very well. Bard had rebuilt the town in Dale and men had gathered to him from the Lake and from South and West, and all the valley had become tilled again and rich, and the desolation was now filled with birds and blossoms in spring and fruit and feasting in autumn. And Lake-town was refounded and was more prosperous than ever, and much wealth went up and down the Running River; and there was friendship in those parts between elves and dwarves and men.
The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions.
“The new Master is of wiser kind,” said Balin, “and very popular, for, of course, he gets most of the credit for the present prosperity. They are making songs which say that in his day the rivers run with gold.”
“Then the prophecies of the old songs have turned out to be true, after a fashion!” said Bilbo.
“Of course!” said Gandalf. “And why should not they prove true? Surely you don’t disbelieve the prophecies, because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself? You don’t really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit? You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!”
“Thank goodness!” said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Classic Literature
  BdF | Jul 30, 2015 |
An excellent book! I somehow stopped reading near the ending last year but I finally finished it just now after watching the second installation of The Hobbit by Peter Jackson. Can't wait for the next movie!! ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading The Hobbit in a way that I don't enjoy many other books. Tolkien was hailed has "a great writer" and "an inspiration". I was young when I read it but can still appreciate the world building that Tolkien took the time and effort that still still inspire many writers today. He took a cowardly small-scale man and made him into a giant through his brave actions. I think for a child, this book is very relevant. A timeless and true message - actions speak louder than words. ( )
  douglasse2 | Jul 3, 2015 |
I remember reading The Hobbit in grade seven. I know back then I really liked it, but I really want to reread it before I properly review it. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

The English-speaking world is divided into those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and those who are going to read them.
added by ed.pendragon | editSunday Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

Mucho menos pesado que el resto de libros del Señor de los Anillos, más facil de leer.
Culmina las tres grandes obras del Señor de los anillos de Tolkien.
added by martinmuniz | editEl hobbit

This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit"
"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, normally bound in three Volumes, as follows:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:16 -0400)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,151,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible