The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (original 1937; edition 2012)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:kindle

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1937)

20th century (283) adventure (739) British (317) British literature (226) children's (364) children's literature (232) classic (956) classics (565) dragons (456) dwarves (364) elves (302) epic (211) fantasy (9,376) fiction (4,997) hobbits (822) J.R.R. Tolkien (309) literature (507) Lord of the Rings (875) magic (324) Middle Earth (1,389) novel (576) own (285) read (830) science fiction (233) series (234) sff (315) to-read (211) Tolkien (1,876) wizards (298) young adult (214)
1930s (1)
Unread books (1,045)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: A Graphic Novel by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (DeathByPain)
    DeathByPain: The first book in Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series

English (612)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (8)  German (6)  French (5)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Serbian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (667)
This book is wonderful in every way from beginning to end. The journey Bilbo takes is full of humor, friendship, excitement and courage. It is a life enhancing read for young people, and also for those of us who are still considered young in hobbit years! ( )
  Mirabella_Bean | Jul 20, 2014 |
I first read this book when I was 10, and liked it. Then I reread the book when I was 40, and I loved it. One of my favorite things is the well hidden or snuck-in social commentary of Gandalf's "Good Morning" go around when he first sees Bilbo. Very nicely done.
Shira
Wiliam-James-MEOW Date: Wednesday, July 11, 12014 H.E. (Holocene Era) ( )
  MEOWDate | Jul 15, 2014 |
adventure ( )
  SchusReadingStars | Jun 16, 2014 |
Original post at Book Rhapsody.

***

An Unexpected Adventure

Before I started this, I didn’t know how to read it. That sounds a little foolish for reading to us fortunate people is like breathing. What I mean is how should I read it, what approach is needed for me to enjoy it. These are necessary questions for me because I intend to read The Lord of the Rings books. I thought I’d appreciate the books more by reading the prequel first.

Some of my bookish friends say that it’s like a children’s book. And with that, I read it with childlike curiosity. I’m not used to this genre, but this does not mean that I am not familiar with it. Growing up playing console games allowed me to appreciate and even love this book.

So what’s it about? Just in case you are one of my kind who never really bother with facts, the book is the story of a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins. What is a hobbit? Well, hobbits are a race of creatures who inhabit the earth along with men, dwarves, and elves. I suppose they are more related to dwarves by virtue of height, but what distinguishes them from other races are their furry feet.

I think the hobbits are the author’s own. Anyway, hobbits are timid, quiet, peace-loving creatures. They may not seem to be your typical heroes (read: The Avengers) but I think they are just as courageous and noble as any adventure hero could be.

Bilbo almost stopped breathing, and went stiff himself. He was desperate. He must get away, out of this horrible darkness, while he had any strength left. he must fight. He must stab the foul thing, put its eyes out, kill it. It meant to kill him. No, not a fair fight. He was invisible now. Gollum had no sword. Gollum had not actually threatened to kill him, or tried to yet. And he was miserable, alone, lost. A sudden understanding, a pity mixed with horror, welled up in Bilbo’s heart: a glimpse of endless unmarked days without light or hope of betterment, hard stone, cold fish, sneaking and whispering. All these thoughts passed in a flash of a second. He trembled. And then quite suddenly in a another flash, as if lifted by a new strength and resolve, he leaped.

It is not unusual for books like this to have enemies to be slain and treasures to be found. For this prequel and for the rest of The Lord of the Rings books, it is The Ring, a powerful object created by a great evil to rule the world. Something like that. Bilbo Baggins, being our hero, finds it, and it is actually this first encounter with The Ring that makes this book an important reading to fully grasp the nitty-gritty details of Tolkien’s epic.

This is not to say that the prequel is merely an account of The Ring’s history. In fact, we barely know what it’s for. We just know that Bilbo becomes invisible every time he slips it on his finger. The power of invisibility allows him to save himself and his friends whenever troubles come across their way.

His friends, a dozen dwarves, come to his house one by one at the start of the book. This is at the recommendation of a wizard, saying that taking the hobbit to their westward journey will do them good. The reluctant hobbit, being disinclined to adventures as hobbits usually are, goes with this crew of fourteen.

And what is the intention of this journey? To reclaim the treasures hidden within a mountain that is guarded by a dragon. But before they come face to face with the dragon, Bilbo and the dwarves will encounter trolls, goblins, orcs, wolves, giant spiders, and one strange slimy creature. So yes, there is nothing really much here except fantastic adventure.

And is there something wrong with that? No. In fact, I suggest that if you have a kid no older than thirteen but old enough to read and appreciate a fine tale, get the kid to read the book. I think this book is a great way to introduce anyone to the world of reading. The adventures of Bilbo might seem like stuff that adults will read and enjoy to pass their free time, but to children, this book might be a world filled with wonders: action-packed traveling, suspenseful battles, marvelous creatures, legendary settings.

And oh, I think I haven’t yet mentioned that this made me look forward to the rest of The Lord of the Rings books. ( )
  angusmiranda | Jun 10, 2014 |
This book is about the story of a young hobbit named Bilbo. One day Bilbo gets asked to go on an adventure to help a company of dwarves slay a dragon and take back their treasure. THe cmpany of dwarves are lead by Thorin the king of the dwarf kingdom of Erebor. In the company there is Bifur, Bombur, Bofur, Fili, Kili, Ori, Nori, Dori, Dwalin, and Balin. When they go on this journey they encounter lots of danger. They encounter orcs and goblins. When they reach the mountain they have to face the dragon Smaug. They don't defeat the dragon but a bowman in Laketown takes him down with a rare arrow called a black arrow. When the dwarves take the mountain back they must face the armies of orcs and goblins. Yet the armies of dwarves, elves, and men fight off the orcs, and goblins. Thus the battle of the five armies.

I loved this book because it had everything I like in a book. From this book I have learned skills I can use in life such as ambition. The fact that these dwarves, hobbit, and wizard braved all these dangers that they encountered in this book is amazing. I liked all the action at the end in the battle of the five armies. I liked that a lot. So in conclusion i really liked this book.
  GarrettE1.B4 | May 29, 2014 |
The English-speaking world is divided into those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and those who are going to read them.
added by ed.pendragon | editSunday Times

A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.

For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, normally bound in three Volumes, as follows:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

Two editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,539,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible