The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbit (original 1937; edition 2012)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:kindle

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J. R. R. Tolkien (Author) (1937)

1930s (1)
Unread books (1,057)
    The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien (aang2014, JqnOC)
    aang2014: Starts the trilogy very good, I loved it.
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (ErisofDiscord)
    ErisofDiscord: Written by J.R.R. Tolkien's friend, C.S. Lewis. Although their styles of writing are very different, I have found both of them to be highly enjoyable and the quality of both of the authors books are unmatched.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Death_By_Papercut)
    Death_By_Papercut: Quality, epic fantasy.
    The Hobbit: A Graphic Novel by J. R. R. Tolkien (Percevan)
    Beowulf by Beowulf Poet (benmartin79)
    The Elfin Ship by James P. Blaylock (DCBlack)
    DCBlack: Another quest tale of the reluctant hero who would rather be sitting in a comfy chair by the fireplace than getting mixed up in all sorts of adventures. Full of humor and whimsical charm.
    Monkey by Wu Ch'eng-en (DavidGoldsteen)
    DavidGoldsteen: If you like a quest story, here's the real deal. A Chinese classic first that first appeared as a novel over 500 years ago. Monkey is a lively, funny, exciting story.
    Bilbo's Last Song by J. R. R. Tolkien (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson (chrisharpe)
    The Last Ringbearer by Kiril Yeskov (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Great alternate history version of the Middle Earth saga--told from the 'evil' Mordor side.
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (sturlington)
    sturlington: In addition to Arthur Dent, Gaiman's Richard Mayhew is a reluctant adventurer like Bilbo Baggins.
    Abarat by Clive Barker (Death_By_Papercut)
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    Sprookjes van Tolkien by J. R. R. Tolkien (Smitie)
    Smitie: Three fairy tales from Tolkien
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Tolkien was very familiar with this work, certainly from the old translation by J Giles (which in turn probably influenced Tolkien's own Farmer Giles of Ham)
    The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Prophecy of Zephyrus by G. A. Hesse (OccamsHammer)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (DeathByPain)
    DeathByPain: The first book in Jordan's epic Wheel of Time series

English (627)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (8)  Finnish (8)  German (6)  French (5)  Swedish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Serbian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (683)
I read this story about 30 years ago. I loved reading this just as much the second time. ( )
  stevealtier | Oct 26, 2014 |
I found this book much better the second time I read it, as I could understand the various references, and take my time appreciating Tolkien's writing. ( )
  Shea42 | Oct 19, 2014 |
(6)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I read this during my final years at primary school, so that would make it between 1984-86. I'll go in the middle and guess at 1985.

Before this, we as a class had it read to us by our teacher. I only remember bits of it after all these years, but was quite absorbed by it at the time.

Worth checking out no matter what your age, providing you have some affection for fantasy fiction. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Oct 15, 2014 |
Somehow, for the past decade or so, I have been convinced that I had already read this book. When I finally read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I didn't start with The Hobbit instead, because I'd read that one. But talking with Andrew while he read this book on the train ride to Texas, I began to suspect that this wasn't so. So on the train ride back home, I snatched my book back, and it didn't take more than a few pages to convince me that no, I'd never read The Hobbit. (Later I came to the conclusion that I had read a very abridged version that was a tie-in to the cartoon as a child.)

That said, it was kind of wonderful to read this book after the LOTR trilogy. Already fond of Bilbo, already pitying/loathing Smeagol/Gollum, seeing the eagles again, learning more about the ways of dwarves, and, of course, Gandalf, Gandalf, Gandalf.

There seems no point in reviewing the plot, as everyone knows at least the bones of the plot (even those who've never read the book!) There seems to be no point in discussing the worthiness of the book or the skill of the author, as people seem to be Tolkien fans or not. And in this age of Peter Jackson, it seems inconceivable that any English-speaking person could not know which camp they fall into.

Though I will say that the beginning of the final conflict was surprisingly difficult reading. So many sides with vested and opposing interests, and all of their positions were both understandable and reprehensible. Even Bilbo himself. It all ended alright finally, of course, as it must in a story when you know how the main characters turn out seventy or so years later.

Additionally, I will say that I have finally learned my lesson regarding books and movies. Two months was not enough time to let go of the book version of this story. Every other moment watching the movie I was (mentally) screaming, "What the what?" In the future: if there aren't six months to pass between book and movie, wait and watch the movie first. Especially in this case, when Gollum was already firmly Andy Serkis in my mind anyway.

greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
The English-speaking world is divided into those who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and those who are going to read them.
added by ed.pendragon | editSunday Times

A flawless masterpiece
added by GYKM | editThe Times

A finely written saga of dwarves and elves, fearsome goblins and trolls ... an exciting epic of travel and magical adventure, all working up to a devastating climax
added by GYKM | editThe Observer

This is one of the most freshly original and delightfully imaginative books for children that have appeared in many a long day. . . . a glorious account of a magnificent adventure, filled with suspense and seasoned with a quiet humor that is irresistible.

For it must be understood that this is a children’s book only in the sense that the first of many readings can be undertaken in the nursery. Alice is read gravely by children and with laughter by grown ups; The Hobbit, on the other hand, will be funnier to its youngest readers, and only years later, at a tenth or a twentieth reading, will they begin to realise what deft scholarship and profound reflection have gone to make everything in it so ripe, so friendly, and in its own way so true. Prediction is dangerous: but The Hobbit may well prove a classic.

Tolkien, J. R. R.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is expanded in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.
This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. Dragons may not have much real use for all their wealth, but they know it to an ounce as a rule, especially after long possession; and Smaug was no exception.
There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!
J.R.R. Tolkien's complete work The Lord of the Rings consists of six Books, normally bound in three Volumes, as follows:

Volume I: The Fellowship of the Ring, consisting of Book 1, "The Ring Sets Out" and Book 2, "The Ring Goes South";
Volume II: The Two Towers, consisting of Book 3, "The Treason of Isengard," and Book 4, "The Ring Goes East"; and
Volume III: The Return of the King, consisting of Book 5, "The War of the Ring," and Book 6, "The End of the Third Age," with Appendices.

This LT Work consists solely of The Hobbit; or, There and Back Again, a precursor to The Lord of the Rings; please do not combine it with that complete work, or with any part(s) thereof, each of which have LT Works pages of their own. Thank you.

[R.L. 6.6] The story of hobbit Bilbo Baggins as he travels across middle earth with a group of dwarfs and a wizard. He faces trolls and dragons. Meets elves and shape shifters. And hopes to acquire great treasure as his adventure continues.
So I'm a thief now.
What I really should have took?
Comfortable shoes.
The dwarves had a plan.
They didn't say anything
about hungry trolls.

(Carnophile)
Nasty Bagginses
stole the Precious, yess, and we
hates them forever!
(ed.pendragon)
A ring in a cave?
I’ll take it. I doubt that the
owner will miss it.

(Carnophile)
Wizard at the door?
Twelve dwarves too? You'll be telling
me a dragon's next!
(ed.pendragon)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618260307, Paperback)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest. It is from this life-or-death game in the dark that J.R.R. Tolkien's masterwork, The Lord of the Rings, would eventually spring. Though The Hobbit is lighter in tone than the trilogy that follows, it has, like Bilbo Baggins himself, unexpected iron at its core. Don't be fooled by its fairy-tale demeanor; this is very much a story for adults, though older children will enjoy it, too. By the time Bilbo returns to his comfortable hobbit-hole, he is a different person altogether, well primed for the bigger adventures to come--and so is the reader. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

Two editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 156511552X, 1598878980

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,504,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible