dismiss

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

On the Road (1957)

by Jack Kerouac

On the Road chronicles Jack Kerouac's years traveling the North American continent with his friend Neal Cassady, "a sideburned hero of the snowy West." As "Sal Paradise" and "Dean Moriarty," the two roam the country in a quest for self-knowledge and experience. Kerouac's love of America, his compassion for humanity, and his sense of language as jazz combine to make On the Road an inspirational work of lasting importance.… (more)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (MyriadBooks)
    On the Road : The Original Scroll by Jack Kerouac (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: If you still have the choice, do not pick up the originally-published edition and instead go for the Original Scroll. This should be on its way to replacing just plain ol' On the Road as the primo Kerouac (and even Beat) text for the adventurous romantics to become enamored with. More rhythm, more life, more of that depressing truth that filled Kerouac's subsequent work. It's a much stronger book.… (more)
    Off the Road: My Years With Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg by Carolyn Cassady (Jannes)
    Jannes: Interesting behind-the-scenes look, and also something of an counterpoint to the tendency of over-romanticizing Jack and the gang that we, or at least I, are sometimes guiltily of. If you're a Beat-geek you can't really ignore this one.
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (thiagobomfim)
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert M. Pirsig (hippietrail)
    The Town and the City by Jack Kerouac (soulster)
    Cigarett : roman by Per Hagman (Sawengo)
    Go by John Clellon Holmes (gbill)
    Théorie du voyage : Poétique de la géographie by Michel Onfray (askthedust)
    The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño (hippietrail)
    Tredje stenen från solen : roman by Claes Holmström (Sawengo)
    The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon (CGlanovsky)
    Big Sur by Jack Kerouac (John_Vaughan)
    One and Only: The Untold Story of On the Road by Gerald Nicosia (mrkay)
    Hopscotch by Julio Cortázar (caflores)
    caflores: Gente que busca y no sabe qué.
    The Day of the Locust by Nathanael West (hippietrail)
    Ye Ole Fiendly Towne and Other Whittier Zombie Haikus: Whittier is suddenly scoured with zombies! And just where is Doobie McDonald during these mayhaps...BAY-beh!? by Doobie McDonald (privycouncilpress)
    privycouncilpress: A road trip film symbolizing the mindtrip your soul will have while reading 'Ye Ole Fiendly Towne and Other Whittier Zombie Haikus"
1950s (15)
Read (92)
Books (23)
Read (16)
1960s (154)

English (298)  French (7)  Italian (6)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (325)
I know this novel speaks to and for a generation, but it fell short of my expectations. There was little philosophical payoff for me. The novel is rather like a regional American photo album with narrativized portraits of local types amid local color. It is anticlimactic in the sense that its baseline is climax; it is an ecstatic, unbroken trip (chemical and geographical) and the sustained intensity can at times feels exhausting. ( )
  TheaJean | Jun 2, 2020 |
I can't say I enjoyed this. Reading On the Roadfelt like a chore most of the time, which is why it took me a month to finish it. My interest in the Beat Generation was the main reason I even managed to finish this. I do know why this novel is significant, but I was hoping it'd click for me - but I just kept waiting for the moment I would understand why this is so popular, and it unfortunately never came.

I'm still giving it two stars (instead of only one star) because while this didn't work for me, I think it might for others, and I wouldn't completely discourage others from reading it. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
813.54 KER
  alessandragg | Apr 16, 2020 |
“I sat there with these two madmen. Nothing happened.” This basically sums up the whole book. Oh, and everyone is an asshole. ( )
1 vote SandSing7 | Apr 9, 2020 |
This was a little cooler than the 50th anniversary edition of On the Road. Seeing the original (real) names, extra scenes and more vivid language was interesting. The accolades, I mean literary criticism, at the beginning were pretty sad. They seemed only to sing praises and attribute god-hood to anything & everything Kerouac did. ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
El Sal Paradise de todas las ediciones conocidas de esta novela mítica es aquí, al fin, Kerouac. Y también Cassady, Ginsberg y Burroughs aparecen con sus verdaderos nombres. Con la publicación del rollo original, la gesta viajera y existencial de En la carretera se vuelve autobiográfica de pleno derecho y a plena luz del día, sin censura alguna. Y el relato adquiere toda su potencia narrativa. El lector tiene en sus manos una suerte de manifiesto de la beat generation. Seguimos a Kerouac y a toda la cáfila que desfila por estas páginas en toda su desnudez y penuria. Precursores del movimiento hippy y la contracultura de finales de los años sesenta, los personajes de esta novela pululan sin rumbo por Norteamérica. La sed vital insatisfecha, la búsqueda de horizontes de sentido, de dicha y de conocimiento y los atisbos místicos se estrellan contra una realidad inhóspita y desesperanzada. Un vívido compendio de los grandes temas, y al tiempo una apasionante aventura humana y una metáfora de la existencia. «El rollo original de On the Road es una de las más veneradas y enigmáticas reliquias de la literatura moderna... Un texto fascinante» (James Campbell, The Times Literary Supplement).
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Kerouac, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charters, AnnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Golüke, GuidoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holmes, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pivano, FernandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sauter, PeeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vandenbergh, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I first met Dean not long after my wife and I split up.
". . . and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"
In the window I smelled all the food of San Francisco.   There were seafood places out there where the buns were hot, and the baskets were good enough to eat too; where the menus themselves were soft with foody esculence as though dipped in hot broths roasted dry and good enough to eat too.  Just show me the bluefish spangle on a seafood menu, and I'd eat it; let me smell the butter and lobster claws.  There were places where hamburgers sizzled on grills and the coffee was only a nickel.  And oh, that pan fried chow mein flavored air that blew into my room from Chinatown, vying with the spaghetti sauces of North Beach, the soft-shell crab of Fisherman's Wharf- nay, the ribs of Fillmore turning on spits! Throw in the Market street chili beans, red-hot, and french-fried potatoes of the Embarcadero wino night, and steamed clams from Sausalito across the bay, and that's ah-dream of San Francisco.  Add fog, hunger making, raw fog, and the throb of neons in the soft night, the clack of high heeled beauties, white doves in a Chinese grocery window.
Great beautiful clouds floated overhead, valley clouds that made you feel the vastness of old tumbledown holy America from mouth to mouth and tip to tip.
'You have absolutely no regard for anybody but yourself and your damned kicks. All you think about is what's hanging between your legs and how much money or fun you can get out of people and then you just throw them aside. Not only that but you're silly about it. It never occurs to you that life is serious and there are people trying to make something decent out of it instead of just goofing all the time.'
Every one of these things I said was a knife at myself. Everything I had ever secretly held against my brother was coming out: how ugly I was and what filth I was discovering in the depths of my own impure psychologies.
Do not combine with On the Road: The Original Scroll

Sal Paradise, un giovane newyorkese con ambizioni letterarie, incontra Dean Moriarty, un ragazzo dell'Ovest. Uscito dal riformatorio, Dean comincia a girovagare sfidando le regole della vita borghese, sempre alla ricerca di esperienze intense. Dean decide di ripartire per l'Ovest e Sal lo raggiunge; è il primo di una serie di viaggi che imprimono una dimensione nuova alla vita di Sal. La fuga continua di Dean ha in sé una caratteristica eroica, Sal non può fare a meno di ammirarlo, anche quando febbricitante, a Città del Messico, viene abbandonato dall'amico, che torna negli Stati Uniti.
(piopas)

Legacy Library: Jack Kerouac

Jack Kerouac has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Jack Kerouac's legacy profile.

See Jack Kerouac's author page.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182679, 0140265007, 0141037482, 0141198206

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,625,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible