WildGame by Margo Lanagan

WildGame

by Margo Lanagan

911,396,564 (4)None

I've not read a novel by Lanagan before, just some of her short stories (mostly from Red Spikes and Black Juice), most of which I have been very impressed by. Unfortunately, I wasn't greatly impressed by this novel. In her favour, it doesn't read as a poorly written book, but as an early work of someone who has reasonable potential. The premise is that a teenage girl, Macka, plays an arcade game where the lines between game and reality blur. I've read a few such novels, and this one didn't strike me as having anything new to say on this topic. It did have a couple of interesting points to make about conservation, not sure whether I think that they were overly didactic, given those who might be expected to read the book.
  fred_mouse | Aug 16, 2017 |

A live animal leaping out of a computer game? Unbelievable. And yet there it is in Macka's lap: soft and smelly, alert and terrified, like a real animal; but also glowing with strange energy, like a hologram. Uncomfortably real and challenging, the WildGame invades Macka's life in a way she never expected. Can she get the creature back into the game alive - back into its natural habitat? Could the survival of an entire species depend on her? And - if she enters the game, can she get out? This vivid exciting fantasy draws you into the world of an endangered animal, and leaves you thinking about the risks and rewards of taking action.

A live animal leaping out of a video game? Unbelievable. And yet there it is in Macka's lap: soft and smelly, alert and terrified, like a real animal; but also glowing with strange energy. Can she get it back into the game alive? And - if she goes in herself, can she get out? 'Intriguing, accessible and highly original.' - Reading Time 'A fascinating mystery/adventure with a thought-provoking message.' - Margaret Dunkle, Australian Bookseller and Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,703,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible