An Enchantment of Birds: Memories from a…

An Enchantment of Birds: Memories from a Birder's Life (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Richard Cannings

Member:rightantler
Title:An Enchantment of Birds: Memories from a Birder's Life
Authors:Richard Cannings
Info:Greystone Books (2007), Hardcover, 208 pages
Collections:Stewart's Read, Your library
Tags:nature, birds, Y10

An Enchantment of Birds: Memories from a Birder's Life by Richard Cannings (2007)

This was a wonderful and lovely book, so accessible it felt like listening to a conversation with the author about his experiences with birds and nature.

Each chapter is about a different bird, some of their history and nature and his experiences in seeing them, often going back to when he was a child. Each chapter also only has one image of the bird in question, a simple black and white line drawing of each one and while as usual I would have loved color photos in this case the simple images really suited the book, photos would have been a detraction I feel.
I also appreciated his ecological message which brought the point of the need for better management of natural resources on our part without ever getting preachy.
Physically I also really liked the smaller than average book size, the quality of the paper (at least for this edition) and the simple but elegant cover and overall structure of the book. ( )
1 vote Kellswitch | Aug 15, 2011 |
This is a delightful book of birding memoirs. For me made all the more enjoyable as many familiar birds are featured. A great introduction to Cannings and I shall be seeking out more of his work. ( )
  rightantler | Jul 25, 2010 |
Each chapter portrays a different bird species found in Canada, some common and some endangered, with interesting accounts about their behaviour and habitat, why some are endangered, why some have become less abundant or have changed locations over time, and why the author knows and likes these birds. An appealing read for amateur birdwatchers and students of nature and the environment. ( )
  tripleblessings | Jan 18, 2010 |

Richard Canningsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gunn, DonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My earliest memories are of meadowlarks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,538,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible