The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann…

The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (2003)

by Ann Brashares

4,93391928 (3.78)39

English (86)  Spanish (1)  All languages (87)
From Lena's point of view.

This story was so good. It has a lot of pain and love. I cried a lot more than laughed. Carmen surprised me by being very mean and selfish! Her character in the movie is so different. Lena's story in the book pained me so much just like Carmen's mom and her lover David. I can't understand how Carmen was so mean and hateful like that!!! Bee broke my heart but she always gets up and push herself forward. I love her for that. Tibby's love and sorrow for Bailey is so touching. to tell you the truth I have not experience grief. And I don't wish to, though I know it is part of life. Great series. Love them. ( )

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
The sisterhood of the Traveling Pants graduates from high school and spends their last summer before college learning about life and themselves.

This book is from Tibby's point of view.

So I am reading the third book, and again Carmen is killing me, she just spoiled everything. I just finished and I am really happy for Carmen's choice on Win and Williams, and for Tibby and Brain, and Bee and Erik and Lena for once doing what she is good at. But I don't want the series to end. ( )
great!!! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
"For my mother, Jane Easton Brashares, with love."
"Once there were four girls who shared a pair of pants."
There is a novel in this series published as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 which is actually a reprint of Forever in Blue - the 4th book in the series. It has a movie cover tie-in and is NOT this book.

Very enjoyable for a teen book -- the 16-year-old protagonists make everything Incredibly! Dramatic!, but once the reader remembers what it's like to BE 16, that seems very believable and realistic for the characters at hand. The Second Summer of the Sisterhood is, of course, a sequel to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants; Brashares does a nice job of explaining the backstory without being so heavy-handed as to undermine *this* story.

Characters are well-developed; conflicts are resolved in ways that are true to life (though not always pleasing). Some serious themes are addressed -- identity and family, the nature of true friends, and true love lost, among others -- but the book is never heavy or dark. It's a great snapshot be being 16.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553495011, Mass Market Paperback)

Teens who loved Ann Brashares's The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2001) will cheer its equally riveting sequel The Second Summer of the Sisterhood. As in the first novel, four teen girls who have known each other since birth (their moms shared a pregnancy aerobics class) further forge their bond of friendship through a pair of thrift-store jeans that magically, impossibly, fits them all perfectly.

Like the summer before, Carmen, Bridget, Tibby, and Lena share their individual adventures with the Pants collective, creating an engaging, kaleidoscopic narrative of four voices. This summer, Tibby attends a film program in Virginia and Bridget (Bee), whose mother has died, impulsively jets off to Alabama to get reacquainted with her estranged grandmother. Lovely Lena tries to protect herself from the heartbreak of loving her long-distance Greek god boyfriend Kostos, and Carmen deals (poorly) with her mother dating again and having the nerve to borrow the Pants!

The Second Summer, while breezy and fun to read, deals seriously with love lost and found, death, and finding the courage to live honestly. The teens' lessons are often painful, but the Sisterhood prevails. Quotations from luminaries such as Charlie Brown ("Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love") to Nelson Mandela ("There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered") open each chapter and cleverly reflect the novel's many moods. (Ages 12 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:12 -0400)

The four girls of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, now sixteen, embark on another summer of travels and life lessons charmed by a shared pair of seemingly magical thrift-store jeans.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible