I Am One of You Forever: A Novel by Fred…

I Am One of You Forever: A Novel (original 1985; edition 1987)

by Fred Chappell

Member:SarahAddisonAllen
Title:I Am One of You Forever: A Novel
Authors:Fred Chappell
Info:Louisiana State University Press (1987), Paperback, 184 pages

I Am One of You Forever: A Novel by Fred Chappell (1985)

English (9)  Spanish (2)  All languages (11)
Love Fred Chappell and this was my first book of huis i had read. It's sort of like first love, it always has something special about it. Actually my first Love doesn't seem that special compared to this book: I was laughing and crying for the whole thing I think.
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
"The bright happy days darted past us like minnows."
Jess Kirkman, is a ten year old boy, growing up on a "scratch-ankle mountain farm", in western North Carolina. It is the early years of World War II. He lives with his parents, grandmother and an, older foster brother, he idolizes. Revolving through this wonderful coming of age novel, are a cast of visiting uncles and aunts, each more colorful and eccentric than the next, keeping Jess wide-eyed and awestruck.
The prose is gorgeous; poetic, touching and sometimes very funny. There are also bursts of magical realism, that take the simple rural tale to unexpected places. Also the dialogue, is deft and rich, like this passage, with the foster brother bragging to Jess about his baseball finesse:
"They never got good wood on me and only bad wood when I wanted to give my fielders something to do. I had them looking every place but where the ball was. I had them hypnotized, hornswoggled, and hooligated. They prayed rain on when I was going to pitch and I prayed it off again."
Simply beautiful. ( )
  msf59 | Oct 11, 2014 |
An excellent collection of stories about a southern mountain family, centering around the boy they took in, Johnson Gibbs. ( )
  Fernhill | Aug 20, 2013 |
I AM ONE OF YOU FOREVER is a collection of vignettes narrated by Jess, the son of a farmer living in the North Carolina mountains during World War II. The theme for these stories is family; they mostly concern visits by a series of strange aunts and uncles, but they are also about Jess’ closeness with his immediate family, particularly his father and his adoptive brother. The stories are written in a folkloric style, and many take on the aspect of a fairy tale, as Jess describes the amazing, impossible things he witnesses in the course of his everyday life. While I didn’t connect to this collection as strongly as I did to its companion volume, FAREWELL, I’M BOUND TO LEAVE YOU, I always enjoy Fred Chappell’s poetic voice and his quietly charming style. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 27, 2011 |
Chappell's protagonist, Jess, the son of a North Carolina farmer living in the mountains during World War II tells the stories of a boy growing up in a rural setting. The stories are populated by a collections of aunts and uncles whose visits read like fables of old. The stories must be read with a light heart because if taken too seriously, the book loses its charm. The work while charming is cast under a pall of subtle sadness. The reader's state of mind at the time of reading will influence how it is received. ( )
  gpsman | Mar 5, 2011 |
In memory of Guy Owen
Then there was one brief time when we didn't live in the big brick house with my grandmother but in a neat two-storey green shingled white house in the holler below.

Tells of a father-son relationship in the North Carolina mountains. It is of a family whose men work in the paper mill.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,100,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible