She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book…

She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book Club) (edition 1998)

by Wally Lamb

Member:sammyinparis
Title:She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Wally Lamb
Info:Pocket Books (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

English (161)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (166)
This book was amazing. Wally Lamb did a great job of writing from a woman's point of view. Even if you dislike the protagonist, you end up rooting for her. ( )
  Tamara_Da_Hunt | Jul 8, 2014 |
didn't finish it. Protagonist was loathsome. ( )
  mny_ldy | Jul 6, 2014 |
Hard to believe a man can write such a convincing book from the POV of a teenage girl! ( )
1 vote CMBlaker | May 6, 2014 |
This was a readable novel about Dolores Price from the 1960s until the early 1980s; I just never got quite that into it. ( )
  mari_reads | May 3, 2014 |
This book is about Dolores Price, from her young years in Rhode Island to adulthood. The story traces her unhappy life as the only child in a dysfunctional family to her adulthood where she finds happiness with Thayer. After suffering the trauma of rape at 13 years of age, she begins her odyssey of self loathing by escaping to her room to eat snack foods and watch Tv and eventually weighs over 250 lbs. After spending years in a psychiatric hospital, she learns to love her new self and she is able to form friendships and relationships with several other characters in the story.
Although I found the story compelling at times, I found her hatred and vindictiveness tiresome and still can't understand why she spent over 7 years in care. Does this make sense to you? Her care was paid by her deceased mother's best friend, another nose stretcher. Although it has a happy ending, I don't think I will be reading other titles by Wally Lamb. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Feb 10, 2014 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our day will come
If we just wait awhile . . .

—Ruby and the Romantics
Toward dawn we shared with you
your hour of desolation,
the hugh lingering passion
of your unearthly outcry,
as you swung your blind head
toward us and laboriously opened
a bloodshot, glistening eye,
in which we swam with terror and recognition.

—From "The Wellfeet Whale"
by Stanley Kunitz
To Christine,
who laughed and cried and lent me
to these characters.
In one of my earliest memories, my mother and I are on the front porch of our rented Carter Avenue house watching two delivery men carry our brand-new television set up the steps. I'm excited because I've heard about but never seen television. The men are wearing work clothes the same color as the box they're hefting between them. Like the crabs at Fisherman's Cove, they ascend the cement stairs sideways. Here's the undependable part: my visual memory stubbornly insists that these men are President Eisenhower and Vice President Nixon.

Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Beached like a whale in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herselfd with Mallmomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally rolls into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion andf give herself one more chance before really going belly up. In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Lamb invites us to hitch a ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. At once a fragile girl aned a hard-edged cynic, so tough to love yet so inimitably lovable, Dolores is as poignantly real as our own imperfections. She's Come Undone includes a promise: you will never forget Dolores Price.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671021001, Mass Market Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, January 1997: "Mine is a story of craving; an unreliable account of lusts and troubles that began, somehow, in 1956 on the day our free television was delivered." So begins the story of Dolores Price, the unconventional heroine of Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone. Dolores is a class-A emotional basket case, and why shouldn't she be? She's suffered almost every abuse and familial travesty that exists: Her father is a violent, philandering liar; her mother has the mental and emotional consistency of Jell-O; and the men in her life are probably the gender's most loathsome creatures. But Dolores is no quitter; she battles her woes with a sense of self-indulgence and gluttony rivaled only by Henry VIII. Hers is a dysfunctional Wonder Years, where growing up in the golden era was anything but ideal. While most kids her age were dealing with the monumental importance of the latest Beatles single and how college turned an older sibling into a long-haired hippie, Dolores was grappling with such issues as divorce, rape, and mental illness. Whether you're disgusted by her antics or moved by her pathetic ploys, you'll be drawn into Dolores's warped, hilarious, Mallomar-munching world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:12 -0400)

In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Stranded in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herself with the Mallomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally orbits into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion and give herself one more chance before she really goes under.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,743,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible