She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book…

She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book Club) (edition 1998)

by Wally Lamb

Member:sammyinparis
Title:She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Wally Lamb
Info:Pocket Books (1998), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:****1/2

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

English (168)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (173)
Pretty good... a little dark at times. ( )
  Marion_B | Jan 19, 2016 |
It started out slow but the characters just brought me into their lives and I had to read to the end just to find out what happens. ( )
  Regyna2167 | Jan 16, 2016 |
This 1992 novel had a lot of attention in the 1990's but I never felt inclined to read it until now. It tells the story of Dolores Price who is a thoroughly messed up person, whose life goes from one crisis to another. Her parents get divorced, she comes to hate her father, she is raped at 13, has a horrible high school time, is forced to go to college, where she is shunned because she is obese, runs away from college, her mother is killed, she ends up in a mental institution, spends years seeing a psychiatrist, maneuvers to meet her old roommate's boyfriend and immediately fornicates with him, has an abortion, marries the boyfriend, comes to be very unhappy with him, they get divorced, she does many stupid things and is a very annoying character. The end is inconclusive and non-definitive. There are few admirable characters in the book and the language is often foul. I could not like the book and I suppose the only good thing about reading it is that now I know what a depressing thing it is. ( )
  Schmerguls | Aug 27, 2015 |
Awesome! Wally Lamb miraculously pulls this off--a man writing in first person from a woman's point of view. Totally convincing, I wonder how he has such an intimate understanding of the mind of women? I could relate to so much--Delores Price is my hero. I was able to mourn and celebrate some of my own victories and tribulations in the guise of rooting for the protagonist. This is a truly soul-nourishing work of fiction. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
TOP SHELF FICTION WRITING. ( )
  caitlindyan | Jul 29, 2015 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our day will come
If we just wait awhile . . .

—Ruby and the Romantics
Toward dawn we shared with you
your hour of desolation,
the hugh lingering passion
of your unearthly outcry,
as you swung your blind head
toward us and laboriously opened
a bloodshot, glistening eye,
in which we swam with terror and recognition.

—From "The Wellfeet Whale"
by Stanley Kunitz
To Christine,
who laughed and cried and lent me
to these characters.
In one of my earliest memories, my mother and I are on the front porch of our rented Carter Avenue house watching two delivery men carry our brand-new television set up the steps. I'm excited because I've heard about but never seen television. The men are wearing work clothes the same color as the box they're hefting between them. Like the crabs at Fisherman's Cove, they ascend the cement stairs sideways. Here's the undependable part: my visual memory stubbornly insists that these men are President Eisenhower and Vice President Nixon.

Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Beached like a whale in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herselfd with Mallmomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally rolls into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion andf give herself one more chance before really going belly up. In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Lamb invites us to hitch a ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. At once a fragile girl aned a hard-edged cynic, so tough to love yet so inimitably lovable, Dolores is as poignantly real as our own imperfections. She's Come Undone includes a promise: you will never forget Dolores Price.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671021001, Mass Market Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, January 1997: "Mine is a story of craving; an unreliable account of lusts and troubles that began, somehow, in 1956 on the day our free television was delivered." So begins the story of Dolores Price, the unconventional heroine of Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone. Dolores is a class-A emotional basket case, and why shouldn't she be? She's suffered almost every abuse and familial travesty that exists: Her father is a violent, philandering liar; her mother has the mental and emotional consistency of Jell-O; and the men in her life are probably the gender's most loathsome creatures. But Dolores is no quitter; she battles her woes with a sense of self-indulgence and gluttony rivaled only by Henry VIII. Hers is a dysfunctional Wonder Years, where growing up in the golden era was anything but ideal. While most kids her age were dealing with the monumental importance of the latest Beatles single and how college turned an older sibling into a long-haired hippie, Dolores was grappling with such issues as divorce, rape, and mental illness. Whether you're disgusted by her antics or moved by her pathetic ploys, you'll be drawn into Dolores's warped, hilarious, Mallomar-munching world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Stranded in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herself with the Mallomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally orbits into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion and give herself one more chance before she really goes under.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,173,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible