She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

She's Come Undone (edition 1996)

by Wally Lamb

10,736191263 (3.82)193
Member:graceless880
Title:She's Come Undone
Authors:Wally Lamb
Info:Washington Square Press (1996), Edition: Oprah's Book Club, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Recently added bymistyrain11, Kitty.Cunningham, alo1224, TabariHeard, ChadGibbons, private library, thursbest, rlb655, PegD, ArchanaV
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen

English (185)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (190)
Delores' character is lovable and annoying at times. She's just like a real human, isn't she? :P

But anyways, really, there were some parts of the book where I'm just like "REALLY????" flabbergasted, and other times I was just like "Yes girl, take the higher road!" and just wanted to be like her in instances. Overall, it's a wonderful book that really gets you thinking about YOU at times because you reflect so much after. ( )
  thursbest | Jul 17, 2017 |
While reading Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone back in the summer of 2003, there were two things that I just couldn't stop thinking about: The Guess Who's classic song, and the Lee Philips-directed film, The Girl Most Likely To (1973).

A remarkable novel, She's Come Undone is a coming-of-age, heartstrings-tugger about a girl named Delores who grapples with childhood obesity, and the maltreatment she endures from others—including her wayward mother—as the result of it.

Delores undergoes quite a bit in her life. And I personally loved and felt a great deal of empathy towards her, considering that my own childhood included battling the bulge.
They all—even her fellow college coeds—mistreat the fat girl, Delores, but all of that begins to change after a distraught and suicidal Delores one day finds herself washed ashore and face-to-face with a beached whale ...

She's Come Undone is one of the greatest books that I've ever read. And it's no surprise that Ms. Oprah selected it as a must-read for her book club. Five stars.
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
Having ambiguous thoughts about this book.
I did not like Dolores Price very much. I felt pity for her, but on the other hand I wanted to shake her to get some life into her again.

I think it is a sad book, but it more or less ends well. I finished the ride, because I wanted to know how Dolores ended up. And all in all I was not disappionted. Life can indeed be very hard.

She's come undone also appears to be a song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4UoIMwQEgL8 ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 1, 2017 |
Meet Dolores, a smart mouthed, bitter 13 year-old girl who deals with situations by eating. By the time she’s ready to go off to college, she’s obese, and she learns just how cruel the world can be. She hits rock bottom, but that allows her to find herself and go after what she wants. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
One of my all time favorites! ( )
  TBoerner | Mar 22, 2017 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionscalculated
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our day will come
If we just wait awhile . . .

—Ruby and the Romantics
Toward dawn we shared with you
your hour of desolation,
the hugh lingering passion
of your unearthly outcry,
as you swung your blind head
toward us and laboriously opened
a bloodshot, glistening eye,
in which we swam with terror and recognition.

—From "The Wellfeet Whale"
by Stanley Kunitz
To Christine,
who laughed and cried and lent me
to these characters.
In one of my earliest memories, my mother and I are on the front porch of our rented Carter Avenue house watching two delivery men carry our brand-new television set up the steps. I'm excited because I've heard about but never seen television. The men are wearing work clothes the same color as the box they're hefting between them. Like the crabs at Fisherman's Cove, they ascend the cement stairs sideways. Here's the undependable part: my visual memory stubbornly insists that these men are President Eisenhower and Vice President Nixon.

Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Beached like a whale in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herselfd with Mallmomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally rolls into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion andf give herself one more chance before really going belly up. In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Lamb invites us to hitch a ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. At once a fragile girl aned a hard-edged cynic, so tough to love yet so inimitably lovable, Dolores is as poignantly real as our own imperfections. She's Come Undone includes a promise: you will never forget Dolores Price.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671021001, Mass Market Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, January 1997: "Mine is a story of craving; an unreliable account of lusts and troubles that began, somehow, in 1956 on the day our free television was delivered." So begins the story of Dolores Price, the unconventional heroine of Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone. Dolores is a class-A emotional basket case, and why shouldn't she be? She's suffered almost every abuse and familial travesty that exists: Her father is a violent, philandering liar; her mother has the mental and emotional consistency of Jell-O; and the men in her life are probably the gender's most loathsome creatures. But Dolores is no quitter; she battles her woes with a sense of self-indulgence and gluttony rivaled only by Henry VIII. Hers is a dysfunctional Wonder Years, where growing up in the golden era was anything but ideal. While most kids her age were dealing with the monumental importance of the latest Beatles single and how college turned an older sibling into a long-haired hippie, Dolores was grappling with such issues as divorce, rape, and mental illness. Whether you're disgusted by her antics or moved by her pathetic ploys, you'll be drawn into Dolores's warped, hilarious, Mallomar-munching world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Stranded in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herself with the Mallomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally orbits into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion and give herself one more chance before she really goes under.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,109,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible