She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

She's Come Undone (edition 1996)

by Wally Lamb

Member:epazia
Title:She's Come Undone
Authors:Wally Lamb
Info:Washington Square Press (1996), Edition: Oprah's Book Club, Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Contemporary Fiction

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

English (174)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (179)
Wayne W. Dyer
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
One of my ultimate favorites. This story has always stuck in my mind. The depth of this novel is awe inspiring. Wally Lamb truly knows how to capture a women's voice. Highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Dark and disturbing but in its own way quite brilliant. It's been a long time since I read it, but my memory is that it left me with a similar feeling to Janet Fitch's work, somewhere in between Paint It Black (which was beautiful and dark but somehow not as good as her first) and White Oleander (which blew me away and remains one of my favorite books of all time). ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Our book club chose this book because the cover art and jacket blurbs led us to believe it would be "lighter fare." Even though it wasn't what we expected, we really enjoyed it and were rooting for the heroine.

Dolores Price is a pretty pathetic and sad young woman - with good reason! But I liked the writing and had to keep reminding myself it was written by a man. I wish he would write a sequel so we find out what happens to her. I firmly believe Dolores rises above her circumstances in the end. ( )
  BookConcierge | Mar 5, 2016 |
I empathized with the character so much and found her in situations so far outside my purview that I found this an engrossing good read. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Mar 1, 2016 |

Wally Lambprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heer, Inge deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our day will come
If we just wait awhile . . .

—Ruby and the Romantics
Toward dawn we shared with you
your hour of desolation,
the hugh lingering passion
of your unearthly outcry,
as you swung your blind head
toward us and laboriously opened
a bloodshot, glistening eye,
in which we swam with terror and recognition.

—From "The Wellfeet Whale"
by Stanley Kunitz
To Christine,
who laughed and cried and lent me
to these characters.
In one of my earliest memories, my mother and I are on the front porch of our rented Carter Avenue house watching two delivery men carry our brand-new television set up the steps. I'm excited because I've heard about but never seen television. The men are wearing work clothes the same color as the box they're hefting between them. Like the crabs at Fisherman's Cove, they ascend the cement stairs sideways. Here's the undependable part: my visual memory stubbornly insists that these men are President Eisenhower and Vice President Nixon.

Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Beached like a whale in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herselfd with Mallmomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally rolls into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion andf give herself one more chance before really going belly up. In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Lamb invites us to hitch a ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. At once a fragile girl aned a hard-edged cynic, so tough to love yet so inimitably lovable, Dolores is as poignantly real as our own imperfections. She's Come Undone includes a promise: you will never forget Dolores Price.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671021001, Mass Market Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, January 1997: "Mine is a story of craving; an unreliable account of lusts and troubles that began, somehow, in 1956 on the day our free television was delivered." So begins the story of Dolores Price, the unconventional heroine of Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone. Dolores is a class-A emotional basket case, and why shouldn't she be? She's suffered almost every abuse and familial travesty that exists: Her father is a violent, philandering liar; her mother has the mental and emotional consistency of Jell-O; and the men in her life are probably the gender's most loathsome creatures. But Dolores is no quitter; she battles her woes with a sense of self-indulgence and gluttony rivaled only by Henry VIII. Hers is a dysfunctional Wonder Years, where growing up in the golden era was anything but ideal. While most kids her age were dealing with the monumental importance of the latest Beatles single and how college turned an older sibling into a long-haired hippie, Dolores was grappling with such issues as divorce, rape, and mental illness. Whether you're disgusted by her antics or moved by her pathetic ploys, you'll be drawn into Dolores's warped, hilarious, Mallomar-munching world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years. Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Stranded in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herself with the Mallomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally orbits into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion and give herself one more chance before she really goes under.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible