Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman

Seedfolks (original 1997; edition 2004)

by Paul Fleischman, Judy Pedersen

1,6201476,848 (4.2)25
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Seedfolks
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Judy Pedersen
Info:New York : HarperTrophy, 2004.
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Discarded, Working on
Rating:***
Tags:Fic, Childrens, !Sale:FOAFL, __scanned, _Read2018

Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman (1997)

Elementary
  SteppLibrary | May 17, 2019 |
Seedfolks is a book that focuses on perspectives views. It talks about this community garden in a city where different people of color, ages and occupations come together to maintain the beautiful garden between buildings. Even though, they are not very close with each other personally, they all have a common interest. It's a very short book that is narrated through the character's stories in the book. I would recommend this book more for middle school children and up, due to the touch of topics of the characters of the book. I really enjoy reading the short stories and have a little snapshot of their perspective. ( )
  vanesis579 | Apr 17, 2019 |
This book describes how one girl planting a seed in a vacant city lot transforms the land and the entire community as thirteen people in the neighborhood come together, despite their differences and insecurities. This book is wonderful for teaching diversity, community relationships, unity, friendship, and taking risks while being stretched outside your comfort zone. ( )
  R180Lisa | Feb 6, 2019 |
This story is all started because of a young girl with a few lima beans. She never know that she would spur a whole community to turn a vacant lot covered in trash into a garden, but that's what happens. Each chapter of the book is told from the perspective of a different person, and they tell how they began their involvement with the garden.

This story is about a place that doesn't seem very likely to have people work together and make positive changes, but that's what happens. The way the story changes perspective really spiked my interest, and got me thinking about all the different people involved, and their backgrounds and the stories about how they got there.
  maryganderson | Nov 9, 2018 |
Cute little story - a neighborhood of (mostly) immigrants coming together thanks to a guerrilla garden. Nice hopeful ending. That's about all there is to it, though. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 29, 2018 |
Margaret Jackson (Children's Literature)
With Seedfolks, Newbery Medal winner Paul Fleischman has written a kind of modern-day folk tale about disconnected urban dwellers coming together one-by-one to join in a rather accidental community garden. It all starts with the simple act of a young immigrant girl honoring her dead father by planting a few lima beans in vacant lot in her downtrodden Cleveland neighborhood. She tells her story in chapter one and the chapters that follow are the voices of the other gardeners--spanning all ages and many nationalities--and how they came to be a part of the garden and the new community spirit that blossomed there. Seedfolks is just a slip of a book but a very interesting story well told. 1997, Joanna Cotler Books/HarperCollins, $13.95 and $13.89. Ages 10 up.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Margaret Jackson

I stood before our family altar. It was dawn. No one else in the apartment was awake. I stared at my father's photograph - his thin face stern, lips latched tight, his eyes peering permanently to the right. I was nine years old and still hoped that perhaps his eyes might move. Might notice me.
If we happened to miss, two or three days, people stopped by to ask about Mr. Myles' health. We, like our seeds, were now planted in the garden.

Nora, British nurse
The object in America is to avoid contact, to treat all as foes unless they're known to be friends. Here you have a million crabs living in a million crevices.

But the garden's greatest benefit, I feel, was not relief to the eyes, but to make the eyes see our neighbors.

Amir, Indian manager of a fabric store
My grandmother's sampler from when she was a girl, said "Be Not Solitary, Be Not Idle." That was easy all those years in the library. Being retired, it's harder.

Florence

One by one, a number of people of varying ages and backgrounds transform a trash-filled inner-city lot into a productive and beautiful garden, and in doing so, the gardeners are themselves transformed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064472078, Paperback)

Sometimes, even in the middle of ugliness and neglect, a little bit of beauty will bloom. Award-winning writer Paul Fleischman dazzles us with this truth in Seedfolks--a slim novel that bursts with hope. Wasting not a single word, Fleischman unfolds a story of a blighted neighborhood transformed when a young girl plants a few lima beans in an abandoned lot. Slowly, one by one, neighbors are touched and stirred to action as they see tendrils poke through the dirt. Hispanics, Haitians, Koreans, young, and old begin to turn the littered lot into a garden for the whole community. A gift for hearts of all ages, this gentle, timeless story will delight anyone in need of a sprig of inspiration.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:54 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,333,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible