Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman

Seedfolks (original 1997; edition 2004)

by Paul Fleischman (Author)

One by one, a number of people of varying ages and backgrounds transform a trash-filled inner-city lot into a productive and beautiful garden, and in doing so, the gardeners are themselves transformed.
Member:TammyRawson
Title:Seedfolks
Authors:Paul Fleischman (Author)
Info:HarperTrophy (2004), Edition: Illustrated, 70 pages

Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman (1997)

The power of plants, gardens, and community. Each chapter has a different narrator: young, old, from disparate places, all discovering or recovering parts of themselves through their involvement with a community garden in urban Cleveland. ( )
  TAPearson | May 2, 2020 |
Pleasantly surprised by this novella. Little girl in a poverty stricken Cleveland neighborhood decides to plant Lima beans in a neglected, trash filled lot. Others folks from the neighborhood from different backgrounds and religions become a new sort of family. Cute and uplifting. ( )
  Carmenere | Mar 20, 2020 |
$18.97
  CapitalCityPCS | Sep 20, 2019 |
Fictional account of the development of a community garden in Cleveland in a down-trodden inner city neighborhood. 13 immigrants mini-stories showing how peoples of different walks of life can come together to create and grow plants. Heart-warming book. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Sep 3, 2019 |
And with this review it commenced my annual reread of 'Seedfolks' It's such a great book to pick up every spring, reminds me why I get out of my own garden and try to communicate nature so to speak. I'm very inspired by the draw of the neighborhood individuals into one communal space that's why I like participating in my local community garden as well you get to see people from around my own community.

This year I was drawn to the stories from Ana, Gonzalo, and Leona. ( )
  untitled841 | Jul 24, 2019 |
Margaret Jackson (Children's Literature)
With Seedfolks, Newbery Medal winner Paul Fleischman has written a kind of modern-day folk tale about disconnected urban dwellers coming together one-by-one to join in a rather accidental community garden. It all starts with the simple act of a young immigrant girl honoring her dead father by planting a few lima beans in vacant lot in her downtrodden Cleveland neighborhood. She tells her story in chapter one and the chapters that follow are the voices of the other gardeners--spanning all ages and many nationalities--and how they came to be a part of the garden and the new community spirit that blossomed there. Seedfolks is just a slip of a book but a very interesting story well told. 1997, Joanna Cotler Books/HarperCollins, $13.95 and $13.89. Ages 10 up.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Margaret Jackson

I stood before our family altar. It was dawn. No one else in the apartment was awake. I stared at my father's photograph - his thin face stern, lips latched tight, his eyes peering permanently to the right. I was nine years old and still hoped that perhaps his eyes might move. Might notice me.
If we happened to miss, two or three days, people stopped by to ask about Mr. Myles' health. We, like our seeds, were now planted in the garden.

Nora, British nurse
The object in America is to avoid contact, to treat all as foes unless they're known to be friends. Here you have a million crabs living in a million crevices.

But the garden's greatest benefit, I feel, was not relief to the eyes, but to make the eyes see our neighbors.

Amir, Indian manager of a fabric store
My grandmother's sampler from when she was a girl, said "Be Not Solitary, Be Not Idle." That was easy all those years in the library. Being retired, it's harder.

Florence

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,708,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible