Bite by Richard Laymon

Bite (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Richard Laymon

Member:Skaidon
Title:Bite
Authors:Richard Laymon
Info:Leisure Books (1999), Edition: New Ed, Mass Market Paperback

Bite by Richard Laymon (1996)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
It would be easy to mistake this for a vampire book like I did. I mean, it's called Bite, it's listed as horror, it mentions vampires all over the cover, and the "I" in the title of my edition is replaced with a wooden. Hey, that pretty much screams vampires, right? Except it's actually a suspense/thriller. Okay, technically there IS a vampire in the first few pages, but then it's a suspense/thriller. I know, disappointing, right?

Fortunately, it's an extremely fast-paced thriller, quite the page-turner, and there is a supernatural element (kind of), so it's not a complete waste. Plus, though it's not technically a horror book, if you are a horror fan then there is still plenty of gratuitous descriptions of female breasts. I'm no expert on the genre, but I'm pretty sure that's necessary, right?

Anyway, technically I liked the main characters, although I did feel they behaved in the most absurd ways on occasion. Don't worry though, this is explained a way with a totally ridiculous cop-out. I also found the writing to be compulsively readable, and for the most part I was pretty enraptured with the story, although the end really veered off into a completely unnecessary direction.

I was actually planning on giving the book a 4-star rating throughout most of the book, but towards the end the minor little faults kept piling up ( )
  Ape | Oct 11, 2014 |
A fun book to read, but very thin. ( )
  sberson | Oct 12, 2013 |
Due to the strangely high spirits of the protagonists, this book was violent and gory but not actually frightening. Although dealing with vampires, psychos and the threat of discovery by the police, they spent their time flirting, messing around, and joking that it was a vampire curse that was making everything go wrong for them. ( )
  isabelx | Feb 27, 2011 |
I was a little disappointed when, after seeing a vampire, the story went in an almost totally different way that--as a reviewer noted earlier--was a bit Tarantino-esque. However this is not a bad thing at all. When a man finds the girlfriend who left him years ago, he discovers that she had been visited by a being that she claims is a vampire, and that she wants him to kill the vampire for her. Thanks to the actions that they make, the two go on a journey that brings them into dark territory where it isn't the supernatural beings that are the world's worst problem.

After getting rid of some of my disappointment, I allowed Bite's story to get me back into it, and it turned out to be fun. I don't really agree with certain aspects of it and would have liked to see other parts expanded upon, but it was still great. One of my favorite Laymon novels. ( )
  NKSCF | May 25, 2010 |
what a delicious piece of pulp, this is! it's not at all what i expected -- a nasty, no-holds-barred modern-day vampire novel -- but it was better. Laymon is hit-and-miss for me, and he scored big with this one. the novel somehow remains comedic (dark, that is) and tongue-in-cheek, while being scary at the same time --- which, as horror fans know, is SUBLIMELY difficult to do correctly.

the tale is, indeed, about a nasty, modern-day vampire, and i don't wanna know what part of Laymon's brain induced the image of a skinny nerd with metal teeth as a creature of the njight -- but somehow, it works. best, we're kept in the dark through most of the novel in regards to whether the vampire is supernatural, or not. also, we're never quite sure who to trust. characters that start out as wholly unbelievable end up being the sorts we sympathize with or hate, and who we'd love to meet in person -- albeit, in the day time.

the book starts out with a Tarantino-esque bang, and one wonders while reading the book why Tarantino hasn't optioned it for a film. yeah, it's that cool. Laymon keeps us on our toes, and has us looking forward to the next page. you'll be sorry when the book ends, craving more Laymon blood to drink. ;) ( )
  mel-L-co0l-j | May 9, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to Marshall P. Oliphant. Friend, matchmaker, writer. "Go for it, buddy"
Somebody knocked on my door. I opened it, and there stood Cat.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843945508, Mass Market Paperback)

From the author of ENDLESS NIGHT, IN THE DARK and BODY RIDES, a horror novel in which a young man agrees to help a former lover by killing a vampire who has been haunting her every move.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible