Toxic Shock (A V. I. Warshawski Novel) by…

Toxic Shock (A V. I. Warshawski Novel) (original 1988; edition 1990)

by Sara Paretsky (Author)

V.I. Warshawski isn't crazy about going back to her old neighborhood, but she always keeps a promise. Caroline, a childhood friend, has a dying mother and after twenty-five years she wants V.I. to find the father she never knew. When V.I. starts probing into the past, she not only finds out where all the bodies are buried, she stumbles onto a very new corpse. Now she's stirring up a deadly mix of big business and chemical corruption that may become a toxic shock to a snooper who knows too much.… (more)
Member:portlaoisecbs
Title:Toxic Shock (A V. I. Warshawski Novel)
Authors:Sara Paretsky (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1990), Edition: New Edition, 320 pages
Tags:Fiction

Blood Shot by Sara Paretsky (1988)

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both books deal with employers who knew more about the problems their product was causing employees than they let on to the employees.
    Superheat by M. B. Wood (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both books deal with industrial settings and discovering a cover up.

English (12)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (14)
Detective Warshawski searches for an unknown father and becomes involved in a cover up with a chemical plant. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Prior to this, I only remember reading book 2 in the series, but I am strongly considering requesting the books in between from the library to catch up on what I've missed.

Warshawski is asked by a friend-who's-close-as-a-relative to find out who her father really is. What seems to be a harmless request uncovers several cans of worms--from family secrets to industrial concealment.

I enjoyed Warshawski's relationship with her neighbor and his dog. I can understand why she wants to be independent, but sometimes I think she takes that a bit too far.

It seemed like a lot of people were running scared and not willing to tell the full story to anyone (let alone to Warshawski) which prolonged the novel--and the repetitiveness of it got a bit dull after a while--while it did make me, as the reader, know that there was something going on, it would have been more interesting if not all the characters made Warshawski feel that way. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 9, 2019 |
As I've previously read some of the series after viewing the movie with Kathleen Turner as Victoria 'V.I.' Warshawski, also known as Vic, reading another novel in the series is returning to spend time with a favorite character as created by Sara Paretsky.

In this novel, Vic returns to the old neighborhood on the South side of Chicago - memories abound and it was an interesting turn to learn how Vic would pivot the intrigue into a solved case. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 16, 2017 |
2017 reread: While some aspects of this 5th entry of the Warshawski series are slightly dated, overall it remains an exciting PI story. Paretsky creates a great sense of place with her descriptions of various parts of Chicago, especially the economically struggling South Side. I found that even though I recalled some aspects of the story from my previous reading (20 or so years ago), much of the story took me by surprise, making this a more exciting read than I had expected. ( )
  leslie.98 | Nov 1, 2017 |
Vic Warshawsk grew up in south Chicago. Her neighbor was a very young mother who Vic's mother took under her wing to take care of. Vic got stuck often with watching her neighbor's child, Caroline. Now Caroline has approached her and asked Vic to find out her who father was. Her mother, Louisa, after working in a big factory is dying. Then Caroline panics and asks Vic to stop her investigation. People start dying and Vic stumbles on some deep dark secrets involving rich and corrupt men who are used to getting their own way. Vic is nearly killed and left to drown in a swamp before being rescued by her neighbor. She finally puts together what is going on.
  taurus27 | Jun 7, 2017 |

Petersen, Arne HerløvTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruuska, IrmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für Dominick
For Dominick
Der Geruch. Ich hatte den Geruch vergessen.
I had forgotten the smell.
aka Toxic Shock

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,625,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible