Body of Lies by Iris Johansen

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
An interesting story about forensic sculptor Eve Duncan and her involvement in a power play with a shadowy cabal named, appropriately, Cabal. I liked the personalities, but found the pace a bit slow at times. ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 8, 2014 |
Trash. Violates all the criteria of good writing. I would never consider reading another of her books. It really doesn't deserve 1/2! ( )
  riverman | Oct 9, 2013 |
Fast-paced and exciting. ( )
  Cavluvr | Feb 23, 2013 |
I hate to give bad reviews, but this book was so predictable. The characters were flat and stiff as was the dialogue. I just didn't care about them or what they had to say.

I had to suspend disbelief to get through the story. I just couldn't get into the reason the lead character was in so much danger. Johansen had a very twisted plot that put her in harms way, but I just didn't embrace it. I had the bad guy figured out almost immediately, so no surprise for me.

I have 4 other Johansen books, but I think I'm going to cut her loose. Everyone can have a weak link, but I just have so many good books to read and I'm old. I don't have time to mess with mediocre writing.

I give her 2 and a half stars because I did appreciate the feelings and exchanges the main character had with her missing and presumed dead daughter. That was the most honest writing in the whole book. ( )
  DanaJean | Feb 3, 2010 |
Well, that took me a long time to get to. It's a fair page-turner, but so much of it is unbelievable, illogical, and unlikely - and I guessed who the villain was way before the book's characters worked it out. I hadn't read Johansen's books before, and I won't especially be on the lookout for them. ( )
  ffortsa | Dec 25, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553582143, Mass Market Paperback)

Just as there are sculptors who insist they liberate forms imprisoned within marble and granite, Eve Duncan, the strong-willed heroine of Body of Lies, is a forensic sculptor driven by a need to liberate innocence from the shroud of death. Tops in her field, Eve obsesses over recreating the likenesses of faceless, decomposed murder victims, using only their bare skulls as a guide. It's a spooky career that began when Eve's own daughter, Bonnie, vanished and was later discovered, the girl's remains unrecognizable.

In Body of Lies, a killer uncovers a shocking truth about Bonnie, driving a rattled Eve to take a dangerous assignment in the darkest heart of bayou country. There, at the weird behest of a shady senator, Eve rebuilds the visage of the politician's late rival, a challenge that nearly results in her murder, strains her romance with a hard-bitten detective, and uncovers a fantastic global conspiracy over energy profits and much else. Wildly ambitious, Iris Johansen's Body of Lies inspires paranoia about the rich and powerful, though it gets unwieldy when Johansen's action writing and characters don't plausibly sustain the image of a secret society hell-bent on world domination. More effective are her bright supporting characters (especially Eve's Liverpudlian protector, Galen), bursts of descriptive wit, and insights into her wounded but dogged heroine. --Tom Keogh

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:56 -0400)

A past she thought buried...a murder she was driven to solve... Forensic sculptor Eve Duncan has been summoned to Baton Rouge by a high-ranking government official to identify the remains of an unknown murder victim. Eve wants nothing to do with the project. She has finally found peace from her own tragic past, living a quiet life with Atlanta detective Joe Quinn and her adopted daughter, Jane. Then a stunning series of seemingly unrelated events turns Eve's new world upside down. A killer so deceptive, he leaves nothing behind but his victims... Now, in a special government facility, she takes on the project of identifying the victim's skeleton. But she hasn't even begun when the first death occurs. Someone totally ruthless, someone who can strike anywhere at any time and with seeming immunity, is determined to put a halt to her work, her life, and the lives of those she loves. Eve has stumbled onto a chilling conspiracy. There is only one person who can give her the devastating truth...and he is already dead.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible