Strange Fits of Passion by Anita Shreve

Strange Fits of Passion (1991)

by Anita Shreve

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All languages (15)
book about domestic abusive, written in 1991 and set in 1971, when this just wasn't discussed. You knew early that Maureen/Mary killed her husband, but the chapters were written to an author by the different townsfolk where she fled after a severe beating that almost killed her. Intriguing to put the article at the end, and makes you wonder how much media contributed to the woman being disbelieved and convicted. ( )
  nancynova | Jan 16, 2018 |
A novel of a tragic story of domestic abuse.
  PendleHillLibrary | Feb 15, 2016 |
Quick read- couldn't put it down! Even though it starts with the end.. because you know how it ends with the narrator, you want to read and see how she gets there. A woman tells what it's like to meet and marry a man that abuses her and how you can get sucked into relationships without realizing it. (We need to stary true to ourselves!) ( )
  camplakejewel | Oct 22, 2013 |
I loved this book - I feel I somehow missed this novel when it came out in 2000 - it's the story of a women escaping from her abusive husband with her eight month old daughter - told from the perspectives of different local community members in the town she relocates to. It is powerful, frightening, shocking and heartbreaking. I read the book in one weekend. ( )
  colleensorensen | Nov 1, 2012 |
good!
  jenny.whitman | Apr 8, 2012 |
Strange fits of passion have I known:
And I will dare to tell...
--William Wordswort
Once Again, for John
On my book tours, I am often asked a number of questions: Did he really do it? Do I thik that she was justified? Did they do it for the money or for love?

A labyrinthine tale of truth and deception from acclaimed novelist Anita Shreve

Everyone believes that Maureen and Harrold English, two successful New York City journalists, have a happy, stable marriage. It's the early '70s and no one discusses or even suspects domestic abuse. But after Maureen suffers another brutal beating, she flees with her infant daughter to a coastal town in Maine. The weeks pass slowly, and just as Maureen begins to settle into her new life and new identity, Harrold reappears, bringing the story to a violent, unforgettable climax.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:09 -0400)

Mary Amesbury didn't run far enough. For soon there would be murder, a rape charge, and suicide in St. Hilaire. And then one last betrayal that would haunt her to the grave.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,984,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible