Sepulchre. by Kate. Mosse

Sepulchre. (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Kate. Mosse

Member:Gracelesslady
Title:Sepulchre.
Authors:Kate. Mosse
Info:Berkley Books (2009), Edition: 1st PAPERBACK, Paperback
Rating:***

Sepulchre by Kate Mosse (2007)

Recently added byprivate library, tn.t.tn, PriPri77, Andrew-theQM, Caitlin97, xuqt2006, SRose27
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both dark, mysterious, and twisting...

English (66)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (81)
I found this book difficult to give a star rating.

It took a while for the author to set the scene for the story and get the story rolling and I felt it was a while before I really felt into the book. For me there is a lot of superfluous detail that is not needed in the beginning of the book. Don't get me wrong it's not because I dislike long books (this book was 739 pages), some of my favourite books are 800 pages and above (e.g the works of Sharon Kay Penman and Barbara Erskine to name but two of my favourite authors). However if it is long it does need to serve a purpose and I feel some of this was superfluous.

Once the book got going I was totally gripped and didn't want to put it down and subsequently I read it with some pace (who needs food and sleep!). The action in the book takes place in both 1891 and 2007 in France, with most of the story being based in Rennes-Les-Bains. If anything I preferred the 2007 storyline, as this part of the book put some of the meat on the bones of the 1891 story.

Overall the story is both gripping and has an affect on the reader, at points you can see what is about to happen but are powerless to stop it - which often I wanted to! Throughout the book there is detail on the Cathars, Knights Templar, Tarot cards and occultism but this is weaved seamlessly into the story and doesn't hold up the action.

I got lost more in this book than any other book I've read so far this year and really enjoyed the experience. I feel happy to recommend the book to others but feel only able to give it 4.5 stars (rounded down to 4 stars for Shelfari) in the end because of the beginning and as the end was not as gripping as the main part of the story. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
For some reason I just can't get past about a-third of the way into this book!

I read Labyrinth, and while that was okay, it was vaguely unsatisfying; I was hoping this would be better ... sigh ... maybe I'll give up for now.

GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Bon je l`ai lu dans une edition francaise en Inde, c`est plutot assez bien ecrit, mais pas transcendant, distrayant tout simplement.. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 1, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book, but the writing is so terrible & cliched. The story is interesting, but the characters are flat and boring, every description of a person sounds like something from a GCSE creative writing class. I got about a quarter of the way through before giving up as the unimaginative writing kept pulling me out of the moment. ( )
  plabebob | Mar 26, 2016 |
2.17
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |

Kate Mosseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peters, DonadaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
L'âme d'autrui est une forêt obscure où il faut marcher avec précaution.
The soul of another is a dark forest in which one must tread carefully.
Letter, 1891
Claude Debussy
The true Tarot is symbolism; it speaks no other language and offers no other signs.

The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, 1910
Arthur Edward Waite
To my wonderful mother, Barbara Mosse,

for that first piano

And, as ever, my beloved Greg —

for all things present, past and yet to come
This story begins in a city of bones.
L' âme d'autrui une forêt obscure où ik faut marcher avec précaution.
De ziel van een ander is als een donker bos waar je voorzichtig moet lopen.
Brief, 1891 Claude Debussy
Het echte Tarot is symbolisch: het spreekt geen andere taal en biedt geen ander tekens.
The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, 1910
Arthur Edward Waite
Please distinguish between Kate Mosse's 2007 novel, Sepulchre, and James Herbert's 1986 novel of the same title. Thank you.

1891. Seventeen-year-old Leonie Vernier and her brother abandon Paris for the sanctuary of their aunt's isolated country house near Carcassonne, the Domaine de la Cade. But in the nearby woods, Leonie stumbles across a ruined sepulchre - and a timeless mystery whose traces are written in blood. 2007. Meredith Martin arrives at the Domaine de la Cade as part of her research for a biography she's writing. But Meredith is also seeking the key to her own complex legacy and soon becomes immersed in the story of a tragic love, a missing girl, a unique deck of tarot cards, an unquiet soul and the strange events of one cataclysmic night more than a century ago...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

The stories of two women separated by more than a century are brought together by a series of visions that are related to the tarot and a small church, known as a Sepulchre in the grounds of the Domaine de la Cade.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,868,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible