Die Trying by Lee Child

Die Trying (original 1998; edition 2006)

by Lee Child

Member:Skaidon
Title:Die Trying
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Jove (2006), Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Die Trying by Lee Child (1998)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (Solh)
    Solh: Impossible to put down

English (91)  Dutch (4)  All languages (95)
In a Chicago suburb, a dentist is met in his office parking lot by three men and ordered into the trunk of his Lexus. On a downtown sidewalk, Jack Reacher and an unknown woman are abducted in broad daylight by two men - practiced and confident - who stop them at gunpoint and hustle them into the same sedan. Then Reacher and the woman are switched into a second vehicle and hauled away, leaving the dentist bound and gagged inside his car with the woman's abandoned possessions, two gallons of gasoline. . . and a burning match. The FBI is desperate to rescue the woman, a Special Agent from the Chicago office, because the FBI always - always - takes care of its own, and because this woman is not just another agent. Reacher and the woman join forces, against seemingly hopeless odds, to outwit their captors and escape. But the FBI thinks Jack is one of the kidnappers - and when they close in, the Bureau snipers will be shooting to kill.
  JESGalway | Sep 10, 2018 |
I am not a fan of the Jack Reacher series, but I had to read for a book club. The violence and constant talk of guns ruins the story, for me. In this rambling tale of Jack Reacher, he happens upon a kidnapping and ends up as one of the captives. The story revolves around a crazy, Hitler-like man that hopes to withdraw from the government and form his own community. The community shows dictatorship in the extreme, and the fear of the “inmates”. As in all the Reacher novels, Jack must “fall” for the female involved, but as always Jack heads out alone to his next adventure as the story concludes. The language falls short of being eloquent, and I feel that I am reading an elementary primer with all the he said, or she said on the pages. This is not a cozy mystery nor a thriller, but somewhere in the middle. ( )
  delphimo | Aug 21, 2018 |
Jack Reacher finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time as he gets swept up in the kidnapping of Holly Johnson, FBI agent and daughter of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. A radical faction hell-bent on seceding from the US and creating their own country is using Holly as ransom, and it becomes Reacher's responsibility to not only escape, but to stop the inevitable. Lee Child writes a fast-paced, well-penned story with a lot of impressive technical detail and well-developed characters. This one was a joy to read. ( )
  utbw42 | Feb 26, 2018 |
(Fiction, Crime, Series)

This second installment in the Jack Reacher series was a great disappointment.

Child changed the story to a third person point of view, and this seemed run-of-the-mill after the almost-endearing voice of the first book. Plus, the body count in this instalment just got away from us; it seemed to me to be a lot of gratuitous killing.

I don’t know if the third person voice continues in the rest of series since this outing was enough to make me move the next book so far down my TBR list that I haven’t yet returned to it.

3½ stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Feb 8, 2018 |
This Jack Reacher story took me by surprise in a couple of ways. First of all, it was not written in first person, like Killing Floor, the first Reacher story I read this summer. I actually prefer the first person perspective, but the third person narrator didn't really diminish my enjoyment of Die Trying. The other thing that surprised me was the change of locations. I don't know why, but for some reason I think of these stories in the same vein as an episode of Quantum Leap or even The Incredible Hulk where the hero arrives in a town where there's trouble, takes care of the problem, and then moves on to the next location. And maybe that's how the majority of the Reacher novels are, I don't know. But in any case, I was surprised by the amount of movement in this book, and I enjoyed their final location because it's someplace I'm familiar with.

As for the story itself, it was just as entertaining as I was expecting. Anyone who likes the Bourne stories or the most recent James Bond movies with Daniel Craig will find themselves right at home with Jack Reacher.

Similar to Killing Floor, this Jack Reacher book also mentioned blues music, but only one song by name, "Cold Blooded Woman" by Memphis Slim. ( )
  nsenger | Nov 12, 2017 |
If I listed all the ways she helps me,this dedication would be longer than the book itself. So I'll just say: To my wife, Jane, with thanks
Nathan Rubin died because he got brave.

Book two of the Reacher series finds Jack Reacher kidnapped in Chicago along with a woman who is "worth more than he imagines". It's up to Reacher to save both her and himself against serious odds.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515142247, Mass Market Paperback)

Television writer Lee Child's otherwise riveting first thriller, Killing Floor, was criticized by some reviewers because of an unconvincing coincidence at its center. Child addresses that problem in his second book--and thumbs his nose at those reviewers--by having his hero, ex-military policeman Jack Reacher, just happen to be walking by a Chicago dry cleaner when an attractive young FBI agent named Holly Johnson comes out carrying nine expensive outfits and a crutch to support her soccer-injured knee. As Holly stumbles, Reacher grabs her and her garments--which gets him kidnapped along with her by a trio of very determined badguys. "He had no problem with how he had gotten grabbed up in the first place," Child writes. "Just a freak of chance had put him alongside Holly Johnson at the exact time the snatch was going down. He was comfortable with that. He understood freak chances. Life was built out of freak chances, however much people would like to pretend otherwise." Lucky for Holly--whose father just happens to be an Army general and current head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, thus making her a tempting target for a bunch of Montana-based extremists--Reacher still has all the skills and strengths associated with his former occupation. And Child still knows how to write scenes of violent action better than virtually anyone else around. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

In a plot to overthrow the U.S. government, Montana neo-Nazis abduct the daughter of the nation's top general and her male companion. The companion is Jack Reacher, a former military policeman and he turns the tables on the captors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible