In for the Kill by John Lutz

In for the Kill

by John Lutz

This book was surprisingly good. I purchased it from Amazon through Book Bub and that is always a hit or miss experience. The majority of the characters are rich and well developed. There are a couple of exceptions and unfortunately that's when things begin to sour.
A serial killer prowls the streets of New York, taunting police with notes. In desperation and because the killer drives the police in that direction Frank Quinn, a retired police detective is called in to action. Along with Quinn his former partners are drafted as well. Pearl Kasner, who is also Quinn's ex lover, and Larry Fedderman (Feds) are called in to assist in the hunt for the Butcher. Along the way Quinn's daughter shows up complicating things even more.
My biggest problem with the characters is the way they show up far into the story and often behave illogically.
While the story is gritty and suspenseful it's predictability eventually left me hoping things would just get to the point.
The end is very unsatisfactory. Dangling story lines, actions unexplained, and a sense of the author rushing through the last improbable chapter left me feeling unfulfilled. ( )
  NewLiz | May 26, 2015 |
I may try this again, but this seems to be one of Lutz's slow, wordy stories & Brick's reading just isn't doing it for me. Actually, I find it really irritating right now.
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
In For the Kill. John Lutz. 2007. This is the second Frank Quinn novel I have read by Lutz. Quinn is a retired police detective who is asked to come back to work with his old team so they can catch a serial murderer who is terrorizing New York City. The novel moves between the killer’s childhood and adulthood and the search for him. There are several twists and turns in the plot that make it interesting. Quinn’s teenage daughter is drawn into the mix. This is a good series, not great but good ( )
  judithrs | Oct 27, 2010 |
Interesting beginning, too much time spent slicing and dicing. I forced myself to finish the book when I was done by chapter 46. I usually like Lutz. ( )
  rrabbit | Mar 29, 2008 |

When a maniacal killer terrorizes the city, dismembering his victims with careful precision, homicide detective Frank Quinn, facing his toughest case yet, is drawn into this psychopath's deadly game when the last names of the victims spell out "Q-u-i-n-n."… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,958,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible