Freaky Deaky by Elmore Leonard

Freaky Deaky (1988)

by Elmore Leonard (Author)

This is the first Elmore Leonard book I have read, but I was familiar with the movie based on his novel, "Get Shorty". "Freaky Deaky" was very much the same type of fast paced, wisecracking story with an integral plot involving mishaps and police procedures. The characters were well sculpted and bounced off one another just right.

I found it very entertaining. It is just the type of light relief one needs every now and again. ( )
  pgmcc | Jan 11, 2014 |
If not for my book club, I would probably not have read anything by Elmore Leonard, ever, despite reading reviews praising him for his dialogue and characters. I agree, his writing is superb: funny, sharp, surprising. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
The first time that I read Freaky Deaky (back in the eighties) it was my first encounter with Elmore Leonard and made me want to go out and read most of his back catalogue immediately. Therefore, coming back to it again I was surprised to find that I didn't enjoy it as much as I had previously and felt it lacked the wit and excitement of some of his other books. I think, part of the problem is that the main character Chris Mankowski doesn't really compare in strength to other classic Leonard characters like Foley, Stick or Chili Palmer and although there's plenty of double crossing taking place here it's not as well plotted as some of the other books that he's written. ( )
  andy475uk | Jul 11, 2011 |
One of my favorite Elmore Leonard novels and the first one I read. The first 10 pages had me hooked. ( )
  woodge | Nov 20, 2009 |
Better than a movie, this fast paced adventure is based in Michigan, with all the usual colorful E.L. characters drawn razor sharp. ( )
  gazzy | Jan 31, 2007 |
To my wife Joan
for giving me the title
and a certain look
when I write too many words.
Chris Mankowski's last day on the job, two in the afternoon, two hours to go, he got a call to dispose of a bomb.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060089555, Mass Market Paperback)

He used to be on the bomb squad, but it's not until he transfers out that Chris Mankowski really begins juggling with dynamite. Rape and revenge are just the tip of the iceberg in a twisty tale that brings Detroit's denizens to life -- and occasional death -- in all their seedy glory. Electrifying, explosive, and unexpected, this is Elmore Leonard at his suspenseful best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:41 -0400)

The Bomb Squad never prepared Sgt Chris Mankowski for anyone as explosive as Robin Abbott. She's a 60s leftover with a grudge, back in Detroit to settle a few old scores. But nowadays she's into dynamite.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,572,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible