Hell House by Richard Matheson

Hell House (original 1971; edition 2004)

by Richard Matheson

Member:Karrie_Leigh
Title:Hell House
Authors:Richard Matheson
Info:Severn House Publishers (2004), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Own, Favorites

Hell House by Richard Matheson (1971)

The Shining by Stephen King (angelikat)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Hell House was inspired by The Haunting of Hill House.
    The Medusa In The Shield (Dark Descent) by David G. Hartwell (cammykitty)
    The Supernaturals by David L. Golemon (Scottneumann)
    The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both very 70s, a bit dated, scary in places but unintentially funny in others... and both about haunted houses.

English (70)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (73)
I suppose it's not surprising to compare 'Hell House' with 'The Haunting of Hill House' as they rank among the top haunted house stories ever written. They are very different beasts, however.

In many ways Hell House looms larger then Hill House, its rooms are bigger, its past more vile, the visitors and inhabitants are forced to perform degrading and horrifying acts on one another...perhaps Matheson marks the point where horror becomes lurid and bold - there are no secrets in this book.

Matheson instantly draws one into the book and the chapters and sections labeled with dates and times keeps up the sense that something is about to happen...

I was more than satisfied with Hell House; Shirley Jackson is by far the better stylist but Matheson is more fun: Depravity! Sex! Violence! Absinthe! It's all there along with some good shuddery moments. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Adoro leggere libri Horror e in un certo senso sono abituata a quella sensazione di ansia ed agitazione che cresce durante una lettura del genere.....Con " La Casa d' Inferno" non vi verrà risparmiato nulla, come dicevano le altre recensioni....che paura!!!
Trama solida, personaggi ben descritti e delineati, ambientazione creata perfettamente , unico pelo che posso fare e' il finale e la figura di Belasco che non viene chiarita perfettamente..... tutto il resto lo scoprirete leggendo....
Vi piace leggere con la Tachicardia costante? questo libro allora fa per voi..
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
Vi piace leggere con la Tachicardia costante? questo libro allora fa per voi..
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
This was incredibly creepy in some parts of the book. The narrator was amazing. However, when I wasn’t creeped out I found myself realizing I don’t like scary books. I would rather watch the movie. I understand with all of the sexual assaults how this would have been shocking when it was published. Glad, I listened to this though. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
It was not the most terrifying story Ive ever read but considering when it came out Matheson did an excellent job writing a spooky tale. It lagged a bit midway but I felt was overall worth reading. ( )
  staceyfronczak | Apr 3, 2018 |
I haven't got a clue how to rate this book. There are too many things I found either funny or plain bad. I even waited for a day or so to think about it. On the one hand, I like haunted house theme (half a star for the theme). On the other, there are tons of things which I really didn't like. First, it isn't scary. At all. Sure, there are a few moments that should have been scary, but for me they were plain flat - as if I was watching from above.
Second, I didn't like the characters or how they were presented. Barret, the self appointed unofficial leader of the group of people who were hired to spend a few days in that house, is the worst with his constant patronizing chuckle and calmness.
Simply put: I didn't like this story. The ending is hilarious. I think this story might probably be better as a film. I really thought I'd like this book more.
added by aethercowboy | editbursa lowongan kerja

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love, for my daughters Bettina and Alison who have haunted my life so sweetly
It had been raining hard since five o'clock that morning.

Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is going die. But when Deutsch, a wealthy magazine and newpaper publisher, starts thinking seriously about his impending death, he offers to pay a physicist and two mediums, one physical and one mental, $100,000 each to establish the facts of life after death.

Dr. Lionel Barrett, the physicist, accompanied by the mediums, travel to the Belasco House in Maine, which has been abandoned and sealed since 1949 after a decade of drug addiction, alcoholism, and debauchery. For one night, Barrett and his colleagues investigate the Belasco House and learn exactly why the townfolks refer to it as the Hell House.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

A group of four people enter Belasco House, known as the "Mount Everest of haunted houses."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,451,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible