Hell House by Richard Matheson

Hell House (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Richard Matheson

Member:sturlington
Title:Hell House
Authors:Richard Matheson
Info:New York, Viking Press [1971]
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Horror, Maine, 1970s, ghost stories, houses, novel, read in 2003

Hell House by Richard Matheson (1971)

The Shining by Stephen King (angelikat)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired by The Haunting of Hill House.
    The Medusa In The Shield (Dark Descent) by David G. Hartwell (cammykitty)
    The Supernaturals by David L. Golemon (Scottneumann)
    The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both very 70s, a bit dated, scary in places but unintentially funny in others... and both about haunted houses.

English (57)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (60)
Four investigators spend a week inside a haunted house. ( )
  jrthebutler | Jul 19, 2016 |
I think if I had read this at night and in one sitting it would have scared the crap out of me. Also if I was in my teens. But now that I'm older and have met lots of psychics and read a lot about the spirit world and spirit guides, this didn't scare me as much as it could have. It was very well written and I think the movie version would be scary. Make sure to set the stage when you go to read this and you will definitely have nightmares after reading this. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I may never find the proper words to describe just how brilliant this novel was.
I will try my best, here it goes:
If anyone wants to pursue a career in writing novels within the horror genre, they must first read this book, and then use it as a BIBLE. It simply is just that brilliant.
Please do not be fooled: This is not your average haunted house ghost story with a couple scares here and there. This is one intricately designed MAMMOTH of a haunted tale that is full of perverse demonic characters and gory details. This is not a story you are allowed to skip if you call yourself a fan of horror. I am upset with myself that I had not given this a go sooner, as I really enjoyed Matheson’s novel “I am Legend”. My advice is, if this is on your to read list, READ IT RIGHT $%^& NOW!!
I listened to this on an audiobook through hoopla, and the narrator, Ray Porter, did SUCH an EXCELLENT job; so much so - that I was jumping out of my skin when he spoke in the tones of the possessed ones.
I realize I need to purchase a copy of this book – because I want to proudly display it within the shelves of my bookcase- to show that:
I SURVIVED THE HELL HOUSE!!!!
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Hell House had stood since 1919, a depository for evil to live and flourish. One person had survived it in 1940. Now he is back as part of a group of 4 paranormal investigators invited to spend time in the house to prove the existence of life after death. Dr Barrett doesn't believe in the existence of ghost, Florence Tanner believes all too much and Benjamin Fischer has tried to block his mind and warn the others that the house is waiting and bidding it's time and they will be lucky to survive it. This is a great ghost story. It reminds me of Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
A very strange book indeed. I really enjoyed I am legend by this author and find it hard to credit that the same man who wrote that wrote this!

Notionally this is a horror book, although it feels a little dated and not particularly scary. It also feels unpolished in places and downright silly in others. The characters are paper thin, as is the world created in which psychic phenomena exist.

It's not a terrible book, it's just not very good in my opinion. ( )
  fothpaul | Jan 18, 2016 |

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love, for my daughters Bettina and Alison who have haunted my life so sweetly
It had been raining hard since five o'clock that morning.

Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is going die. But when Deutsch, a wealthy magazine and newpaper publisher, starts thinking seriously about his impending death, he offers to pay a physicist and two mediums, one physical and one mental, $100,000 each to establish the facts of life after death.

Dr. Lionel Barrett, the physicist, accompanied by the mediums, travel to the Belasco House in Maine, which has been abandoned and sealed since 1949 after a decade of drug addiction, alcoholism, and debauchery. For one night, Barrett and his colleagues investigate the Belasco House and learn exactly why the townfolks refer to it as the Hell House.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

A group of four people enter Belasco House, known as the "Mount Everest of haunted houses."

192 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,495,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible