Hell House by Richard Matheson

Hell House (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Richard Matheson

Member:sturlington
Title:Hell House
Authors:Richard Matheson
Info:New York, Viking Press [1971]
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Horror, Maine, 1970s, ghost stories, houses, novel, read in 2003

Hell House by Richard Matheson (1971)

Recently added byPigletto, private library, EmpressReece, gromzip, kvrfan, pgtrnr, ligature, Aneris, knipselli
    The Shining by Stephen King (angelikat)
    The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired by The Haunting of Hill House.
    The Medusa In The Shield (Dark Descent) by David G. Hartwell (cammykitty)
    The Supernaturals by David L. Golemon (Scottneumann)
    The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both very 70s, a bit dated, scary in places but unintentially funny in others... and both about haunted houses.

English (59)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (62)
House of Depravity- 4.5 stars...

So much has already been said about this book so I'm not going to beat it to death but I thought it was a fantastic haunted house story. I can definitely understand why it garnered so much attention. I even really liked the ending which isn't always the case for me in this genre. It was thoroughly satisfying and it wasn't left open for you to draw your own conclusions like some of the paranormal horror stories that I've come across. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because, yes it nailed the gruesome and the shocking but, I thought it lacked the foreboding and build up of suspense to give it the scare factor that I was hoping for and would have been the perfect accompaniment to Belasco's Hell House. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
I haven't got a clue how to rate this book. There are too many things I found either funny or plain bad. I even waited for a day or so to think about it. On the one hand, I like haunted house theme (half a star for the theme). On the other, there are tons of things which I really didn't like. First, it isn't scary. At all. Sure, there are a few moments that should have been scary, but for me they were plain flat - as if I was watching from above.
Second, I didn't like the characters or how they were presented. Barret, the self appointed unofficial leader of the group of people who were hired to spend a few days in that house, is the worst with his constant patronizing chuckle and calmness.
Simply put: I didn't like this story. The ending is hilarious. I think this story might probably be better as a film. I really thought I'd like this book more. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Four investigators spend a week inside a haunted house. ( )
  jrthebutler | Jul 19, 2016 |
I think if I had read this at night and in one sitting it would have scared the crap out of me. Also if I was in my teens. But now that I'm older and have met lots of psychics and read a lot about the spirit world and spirit guides, this didn't scare me as much as it could have. It was very well written and I think the movie version would be scary. Make sure to set the stage when you go to read this and you will definitely have nightmares after reading this. ( )
1 vote MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
I may never find the proper words to describe just how brilliant this novel was.
I will try my best, here it goes:
If anyone wants to pursue a career in writing novels within the horror genre, they must first read this book, and then use it as a BIBLE. It simply is just that brilliant.
Please do not be fooled: This is not your average haunted house ghost story with a couple scares here and there. This is one intricately designed MAMMOTH of a haunted tale that is full of perverse demonic characters and gory details. This is not a story you are allowed to skip if you call yourself a fan of horror. I am upset with myself that I had not given this a go sooner, as I really enjoyed Matheson’s novel “I am Legend”. My advice is, if this is on your to read list, READ IT RIGHT $%^& NOW!!
I listened to this on an audiobook through hoopla, and the narrator, Ray Porter, did SUCH an EXCELLENT job; so much so - that I was jumping out of my skin when he spoke in the tones of the possessed ones.
I realize I need to purchase a copy of this book – because I want to proudly display it within the shelves of my bookcase- to show that:
I SURVIVED THE HELL HOUSE!!!!
1 vote XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |

Richard Mathesonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love, for my daughters Bettina and Alison who have haunted my life so sweetly
It had been raining hard since five o'clock that morning.

Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is going die. But when Deutsch, a wealthy magazine and newpaper publisher, starts thinking seriously about his impending death, he offers to pay a physicist and two mediums, one physical and one mental, $100,000 each to establish the facts of life after death.

Dr. Lionel Barrett, the physicist, accompanied by the mediums, travel to the Belasco House in Maine, which has been abandoned and sealed since 1949 after a decade of drug addiction, alcoholism, and debauchery. For one night, Barrett and his colleagues investigate the Belasco House and learn exactly why the townfolks refer to it as the Hell House.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

A group of four people enter Belasco House, known as the "Mount Everest of haunted houses."

192 wanted3 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,366,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible