Hell's Kitchen by Jeffery Deaver

Hell's Kitchen (2001)

by Jeffery Deaver

Series: Location Scout (3)

OMG, wow, I have 2 of my favourite authors joining together to write a books. Was I excited when it landed on my kindle YES. Was I disappointed, oh hell no.

This read has it all, drama, sex, alpha males, revenge, violence all rolled into one book. Will you be taken on a rollercoaster, oh yes you will, will you be begging for more, most definitely.

I loved and adore this read, we see some familiar faces popping up throughout this book, but also we will see some swoon worthy new characters. Both these authors have produced a read that flows so perfectly, you will be pulled in by the very first page.

So much action all in one book, and when I got to the end, oh no you cannot leave me like that, seriously I need book 2 now.

If you are a lover of these authors, or just want a fantastic book to read then this is for you. ( )
  Obsessed-by-Books | Dec 24, 2015 |
The book never grabbed me and I waded through the listen while driving on a boring interstate. It was, apparently, well researched as it wound up around one of the New York City's famous neighborhoods. The book contains punks and tycoons as well as a fair plot. But, in the end, I'll never get that time back. ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 18, 2015 |
The cover art doesn't do this book justice. Jeffery Deaver creates a rich archectural landscape for his mystery rather than putting it in some vague cliched archetypal buildings or rooms. The blury red building with yellow lit window does not capture this richness of set and scene!

All through the book not one character nor one scene is wasted. It's an extremely tight and satisfying mystery. The last thread that is tied up as a coda is perhaps one that doesn't need to be addressed. One loose end would have giving the piece complete plausability but to explain the protagonist's motivation for being such a good samaritan is unnecessary and overwritten. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 3, 2014 |
Every New York City neighbourhood has a story, but what John Pellam uncovers in Hell’s Kitchen has a darkness all its own. The Hollywood location scout is hoping to capture the unvarnished memories of longtime Kitchen residents in a no-budget documentary film. But when a suspicious fire ravages an elderly woman’s crumbling tenement, Pellam realises that someone might want the past to stay buried. As more buildings and lives go up in flames, Pellam takes to the streets, seeking the twisted pyromaniac who sells services to the highest bidder. But Pellam is unaware that the fires are merely flickering preludes to the arsonist’s ultimate masterpiece – a conflagration of nearly unimaginable proportion…
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Hell’s Kitchen is the third (and so far final) Jeffrey Deaver Location Scout novel. Whilst doing research in Hell’s Kitchen, Pellam is caught in the fire that burns down a tenement building. The prime suspect is Ettie Wilkes Washington, the old black woman he has been interviewing for his oral history of Hell’s Kitchen. Convinced of her innocence, Pellam starts his own investigation. He mixes it with fire marshals, street kids, youth outreach workers, jaded lawyers, Latino and Irish gangs, land developers, high society and a pyromaniac. Who is telling the truth, and what are cleverly fabricated lies? Is anyone, including Pellam, being completely honest? Once again, plenty of twists in the tale, leading to a dramatic conflagration. An excellent Location Scout novel with room for sequels if Deaver decides to revisit this reluctant hero. ( )
  CloggieDownunder | Mar 16, 2012 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Astori, CristianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I'm a professional. I've survived in a pretty rough business."

- Humphrey Bogart
He claimed the stairs, his boots falling heavily on burgundy floral carpet and, where it was threadbare, on the scarred oak beneath.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671047515, Mass Market Paperback)

Perennial bestselling author Jeffrey Deaver's alter ego, William Jefferies, knows a thing or two about Hollywood. So does John Pellam, the hero of his previous Shallow Graves and Bloody River Blues and the latest in the series, Hell's Kitchen. Pellam made a name for himself as a director before a stint in San Quentin took him off the fast track. Since his release he's been earning his keep as a location scout and not so incidentally shooting a documentary about New York's Hell's Kitchen, which he hopes will propel him back into the career that skidded south after he ran afoul of the law.

Pellam has found the star of his new film, one Ettie Washington, who has lived in the neighborhood for decades and is the perfect voice to tell the story of an area that's losing its old-time seediness to urban gentrification. But then Ettie's tenement goes up in a blaze that kills a small boy and puts her right in the public eye--as a suspect. It's only the beginning of a series of fires, each one more deadly. The cops know Ettie couldn't have set the others, since she's been in jail, but they're convinced she knows who did. Pellam has his own reasons for getting Ettie off the hook and embarking on a search for the real pyromaniac. Jeffries saves the best one for the very end of this taut, well-paced, and highly atmospheric thriller. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

The final part of the Location Scout trilogy. The Hollywood location scout and former stuntman is in the Big Apple hoping to capture the memories of long-time Kitchen residents such as Ettie Washington in a no-budget documentary. But when a suspicious fire ravages the elderly woman's crumbling tenement, Pellam realizes that someone might want the past to stay buried. As more buildings and lives go up in flames, Pellam takes to the streets, seeking the twisted pyromaniac. But he is unaware that the fires are merely flickering preludes to the arsonist's ultimate masterpiece, a conflagration of nearly unimaginable proportions, with Hell's Kitchen - and John Pellam - at its blackened and searing epicentre.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,810,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible