The Sleeping Beauty by Charles Perrault

The Sleeping Beauty (1697)

by Charles Perrault

383446,392 (4)2

As this book is a classic text from my childhood, I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting it in the classroom. It is a great example of traditional literature as it portrays all of the characteristics. It is written in a way that clearly displays the time period in which it was written. The use of language is very traditional and old fashioned, as expected. Despite the dark reality of what the princess is experiencing, the author continues to write the story with a positive use of language. The illustrations are very vibrant and detailed which would make any reader want to continue getting through the book. Its a great book for young readers to experience as they will more than likely want to continue until they find out how it ends. And just like any traditional literature story, it has a happy ending.
  sminto2 | Apr 1, 2019 |
In my opinion, this book is very old fashioned but still a unique classic. I already knew the story of Sleeping Beauty, but reading it again allowed me to gain new information that I didn’t know before; and I could see how it’s changed over the years comparing this story to the current version of Sleeping Beauty. I liked the style of the book a lot, it almost felt like it was written in the Victorian era. The author also tried to keep it positive by not saying the evil witch or other negative notations. I also like the illustrations, they were very detailed and old fashioned with what the characters wore. The illustrations were also strong enough that you could read the story by just looking at the if there weren’t any words. They were clear and followed the storyline. I enjoyed reading this book and seeing the original version of this classic. The main idea was basically that true love can break any curse or overcome any negativity or evil in the world
  annamelton | Apr 18, 2017 |
The Perrault version has two parts. The first part is basically the Sleeping Beauty story that we all know with minor variations (7 fairies instead of 12, the good fairy has to put the palace too sleep not the original spell, the King and Queen don't sleep).

In the second part, Sleeping Beauty, having married the Prince and had two children with him must now deal with his mother, who is Ogress, and a nasty one at that. ( )
  aulsmith | Dec 15, 2014 |

Charles Perraultprimary authorall editionscalculated
Samber, RobertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once a King and Queen had a new daughter, and seven good fairies were invited to be her godmothers.

Enraged at not being invited to the princess' christening, the wicked fairy casts a spell that dooms the princess to sleep for 100 years.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,362,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible