Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Under the black ensign by L. Ron Hubbard

Under the black ensign (1935)

by L. Ron Hubbard

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Another 80-year-old pulp yarn from L. Ron Hubbard—this one not much more than a mildly pleasurable diversion featuring the usual cast of flat characters going through their standard paces. Even so, I was actually enjoying the fast-paced seventeenth-century pirate action right up until the too-perfect-to-be-believable ending rolled up in the last few pages with a loud clunk. ( )
  bcooper | Aug 10, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read several of Hubbard's books in the past, “Battlefield Earth”, “Mission Earth”, etc., and while this wasn't a bad book I was more impressed with his science fiction ( )
  fletch68 | Jun 17, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the second book that I am reviewing from L. Ron Hubbard and I hope it is my last. Nothing about this work is impressive or interesting. The story seems to be a rough draft with all the details left out. There is nothing that helps you to care about any of the characters. L. Ron Hubbard's deplorable view (this might be an unfair assumption, but both books of his that I have read have this view) that whites are superior is very prevalent in this book. The production is good, but the story is not worth the effort. It is a simple recycling of stereotypes in an unoriginal plot stolen from far superior writers. ( )
  Yvain | May 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This review is for the multicast audio book I got free from LibraryThing in exchange for a review. This is first time I listened to/read a non-science fiction story from L. Ron Hubbard's pen, And I have to say: yeah, let's have some more pulp fiction here. The story was wildly fantastic, with Pirates, and the high seas, and people hiding their identities, and true love! What a ride. It's an old story, re-released by Golden Stories for a new audience. ( )
  susanbeamon | Apr 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have won several of these L. Ron Hubbard dramatizations through librarything.com and they are great. Excellent production values, sound effects and music.

Under the Black Ensign is set in the Caribbean. Tom Bristol was a junior officer on a US ship before he was shanghaied into the British navy. Now, as a simple sailor, he accidentally endangers the governor of Nevis and is unfairly sentenced to death for attempted murder. When the ship is taken by pirates, he gladly switches sides, as does Midshipman Jim, a teenager on the naval boat. Tom's time with the pirates does not go very well and he is soon cast ashore on a small island. Jim comes to rescue him and they begin a series of adventures together.

We can imagine that Galaxy Press, publishers of these dramatizations, is a Scientologist outfit, but there is nothing that points directly to a link.

I received the Galaxy Press audio dramatization of Under the Black Ensign (Stories from the Golden Age) by L. Ron Hubbard through Librarything.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Apr 18, 2014 |
The marlinespike was inoffensive enough.

Tom Bristol's career as first mate of the Maryland bark Randolph abruptly ends during shore leave when he is press-ganged into serving aboard the British HMS Terror.

Toil under the cruel whip of England is merciless: Crew members are treated as little more than chattel barely fed, made to work past the brink of exhaustion and kept in line with a cat-o'-nine-tails. Fate finally smiles on young Bristol when the vessel is overtaken by pirates and he gladly turns coat and joins them.

Yet Tom's new pirate mates desert him quickly after he's found guilty of killing a mutinous pirate and unwittingly harboring a woman on board. Marooned on a deserted island, Tom has nothing but a small supply of water, a gun and just enough bullets to kill himself. But Tom dreams up a devious plan that will return him to the high seas and make his past adventures pale compared to what he has in store for his many enemies. . . .

Pirates maroon ex-first mate of an English ship and fellow pirate, Tim Bristol, on a desert island, but Tom isn't giving up. He schemes a crafty plan to not only get off the island and back on the high seas, but to punish those who deserted him.

Galaxy Press

Two editions of this book were published by Galaxy Press.

Editions: 1592123392, 1592123333

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Under the Black Ensign by L. Ron Hubbard was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,701,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible