Killing the shadows by Val McDermid

Killing the shadows (2000)

by Val McDermid

7842011,747 (3.54)24

English (18)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (20)
A very clever, brilliantly written novel with very interesting well-developed characters and a plot with lots of twists and turns! This is my first Val McDermid book but it won't be my last! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
Review: Killing The Shadows by VAL McDermid. Fantastic book… Brilliantly written. It’s a book that can’t be put down. McDermid created some inconspicuous characters to rivet a twisting plot.

A mystery serial killer on the prowl, but who is it and who is next? There are many serial killer author’s who would never imagine becoming a victim of there own scenes they creatively engineered in their very own best seller books. The killer had a list of author’s and chose which book the author wrote to copycat the murder. The killer was cunning, mysterious, stunning and a surprise to the end.

The egotistic irate authorities were to pigheaded to own up to the fact that the murders were connected. There were many reasons they backed away from a serial killer being on the loose. One murder was in Edinburgh, another in Ireland and the third was at a cottage in Dorset. To far-fetched to make a motive or connection The police tactics kept the story unfolding only a small piece at a time. But that was ok. It kept the story more intriguing for the reader. It gave the killer time to build the resources of his plots and schemes to the readers expectations.

Meanwhile, Professor Cameron, a psychologist who uses computer technology to help the police on some cases had her own opinions. She became frustrated and worried because her partner, who just happen to be an author of serial murder books, received a threatening letter in the mail. There were more letters to other writer’s but at the time no one knew so there were no connections made. The professor kept to her nagging feelings that she was correct but little did she know at the time there were more twist and turns she hadn’t spun into yet.

She was also working on another serial murder case for a former boss. So, her mind was in more than one place at a time. I give the author credit though, he kept her character motivated, sharp minded, short fused at times, and on her toes at all times.

There’s plenty more thrill and mystery to the story but I’ll leave your imaginations somewhere entwined in the aftermath of my memory……
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I thought this book was amazing. Granted that at first I didn't care much for it because it hadn't grabbed me immediately from page one, but by chapter three I just couldn't stop reading. I really liked the character Kit Martin and my heart nearly stopped for him. This book is filled with action and the ideals and motivations behind the human heart, and I can't wait to read more from this author! ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |

Val McDermidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinkman, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fox, Emiliasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moreau, EricTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nilsson, JohanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Struys, Wouter van derCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Styron, Dorissecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for BB. Because it takes two to jump over the rocks in the road.
The haar moves up from the steel-grey waters of the Firth of Forth, a solid wall of mist the colour of cumulus.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312983387, Mass Market Paperback)

A killer is on the loose, blurring the line between fact and fiction. His prey - the writers of crime novels who have turned psychological profilers into the heroes of the nineties. But this killer is like no other. His bloodlust shatters all the conventional wisdom surrounding the motives and mechanics of how serial killers operate. And for one woman, the desperate hunt to uncover his identity becomes a matter of life and death.

Professor Fiona Cameron is an academic psychologist who uses computer technology to help police forces track serial offenders. She used to help the Met, but vowed never to work for them again when they went against her advice and subsequently botched an investigation. Still smarting from the experience, she's working a case in Toledo when her lover, thriller writer Kit Martin, tells her a fellow crime novelist has been murdered. It's not her case, but Fiona can't help taking an interest. When the killer strikes again Fiona finds herself caught in a race against time - not only to save a life but also to find redemption, both personal and professional.

Rich in atmosphere, Killing the Shadows uses the backdrops of city and country to create an air of threatening menace, culminating in a tense confrontation between hunter and hunted, a confrontation that can have only one outcome.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:47 -0400)

A killer is on the loose and he's blurring the line between fact and fiction. His prey - the writers of crime novels. But this murderer is like no other; his bloodlust shatters all the conventional wisdom on how serial killers operate. And for one woman the desperate hunt to uncover his identity becomes a matter of life and death. Professor Fiona Cameron is an academic psychologist who uses computer technology to track serial offenders. She vowed never to work for the Met again after they went against her advice and badly screwed up an investigation as a result. But when her lover, thriller writer Kit Martin, tells her a fellow crime novelist has been murdered, Fiona can't help taking an interest. With the killer striking again, Fiona is caught up in a race against time, not only to save a life, but to bring herself redemption, both personal and professional.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,528,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible