The Air We Breathe by Andrea Barrett

The Air We Breathe (edition 2007)

by Andrea Barrett

Member:pamkol
Title:The Air We Breathe
Authors:Andrea Barrett
Info:W.W. Norton (2007), Edition: Advance Reader Copy, Paperback

The Air We Breathe: A Novel by Andrea Barrett

The Plague and I by Betty MacDonald (betsytacy)
    betsytacy: If the tuberculosis treatment aspects of The Air We Breathe are of particular interest, I'd recommend Betty MacDonald's humorous memoir of her time in a tuberculosis sanitarium in the late 1930s.
    The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (shearon)

I am familiar with the villages of the Adirondacks where this novel is set. In Tupper Lake, there is an institution now called Sunmount Developmental Center that was the site in the late 19th & early 20th centuries of a tuberculosis sanitarium. I have visited Sunmount many times it my professional capacity (it now houses persons with developmental disabilities). Perhaps this is the state institution that Barrett uses as the Tamarack sanitarium. Nearby Saranac Lake is well-known for its history of cottages and homes that housed persons recouperating from TB.

This well-conceived and well-written novel weaves together many interesting themes. Tamarack is populated by persons of lower social classes; many are immigrants. In the private sanitaria nearby persons of means reside. They come together when a rich resident decides to sponsor lectures at the Tamarack institution. This allows the residents there to reveal their interesting histories and life stories. The narration in the novel intriguingly shifts between the second person plural to the third person. The "we" in the narration is never identified, but it serves to identify the community that forms the institution.

As in other works by Barrett there's an element of science, particularly about the treatment before antibiotics and about the early radiological technology that was at the institution. There is adept use of metaphor relating to this.

The book takes place at the onset of World War I and into America's entry into the war. The suspicion and hostility towards immigrants that was hugely manifest in America during the war gets deep attention here.

This is a thoughtful,multi-layered and intelligent book that is well worth attention. ( )
  stevesmits | Apr 18, 2013 |
Other reviewers have had difficulty understanding the narrator "we". This antiphonal narration is not done by a single person, & is nicely explained in the final chapter. Please also consider the author's choice of epigraphs, particularly the 1915 quote from that time period. Then see how Barrett turns those pompous words on their head. The poor, recent immigrants who reside at the sanatorium are anything but "mentally and morally poor", tho the same cannot be said for Miles Fairchild, a rich business man residing in a private care home for his TB cure.
The era of the 1910's is brought to life through the characters. And while we don't hear the fate of those left behind in the fire-damaged sanatorium, a study of the Genealogical chart in the end pages gives a hint to the future lives of the characters.
I look forward to further books by this auther who gives more than fluff. ( )
  juniperSun | Jul 21, 2012 |
Tuberculosis patients are transported to an Adirondack sanatorium for their rest-cure in the days just before World War I, and in Andrea Barrett’s excellent "The Air We Breathe" provides a microcosm for the world on the eve of losing its innocence in the “War to End All Wars.” There are many novels which show an author’s deep understanding of human nature, and "The Air We Breathe" belongs in the ranks of the very finest.

Leo Marburg, a young Russian immigrant without family or cultural ties, contracts the dread consumption while living and working in Brooklyn in the spring of 1917. His arrival at Tamarack State, the institution for tuberculosis patients, precipitates at length a series of misunderstandings, and attracts the suspicion of the self-appointed authorities. His fellow inmates also succumb to unfounded suspicion, and turn on him. At novel’s end, they realize how unfair they were to their former friend, and how unjust.

Ms. Barrett does a marvelous job of bringing in the remarkable historical events at that epochal moment. The inmates, suffering from boredom and a sense of abandonment, begin, grudgingly at first, to gather once a week to hear a talk by one of their own. Late in the book, after all the reproach and recrimination have played their havoc on the principals, particularly Leo, the group reflects on a time of lost innocence (a grand job of the author to catch the tenor and momentousness of the time):

“How innocent we seem to ourselves, now, when we look back at our first Wednesday afternoons! Gathering to learn about fossils, poison gas, the communal settlement at Ovid, about Stravinsky and Chekhov, trade unions and moving pictures and the relative nature of time, when we could have learned what we needed about the world and war simply by observing our own actions and desires. We lived as if nothing was important.”

In awe of events swirling beyond their walls, the inmates make the mistake of missing the feelings and personal strife right within their midst. They have witnessed thwarted love, betrayal, xenophobia, wartime jingoism, and the disillusionment of talented immigrants. The clever author accomplishes two tricks at once here: she uses the folly and selfishness of the patients to illuminate the faults of the outside world (there is a fire that generates poison gas and fatally injures three), and also shows in stark relief the truth that the less we care for our fellow beings, the less we are worth. She offers here a lesson for the world at large, and also for much smaller communities. This is superbly thought-provoking, plainly told, and deceptively straightforward. Find the depth through the archetypes. Recommended, big-time.

http://bassoprofundo1.blogspot.com/2012/06/air-we-breathe-by-andrea-barrett.html ( )
  LukeS | Jun 6, 2012 |
I'm not sure if the cover photograph &/or the title had anything to do with it, but I had been wanting to read this since it was first released several years ago. The story centers around a group of people diagnosed with tuberculosis during the time of World War I, who are "curing" in a medical sanitorium in the Adirondacks. Sadly, the plot doesn't get a whole lot more exciting than that. The story is told by an unnamed narrator who is one of the patients there, but we never hear anything at all about him/her; rather, only what he/she is summarizing in the events that took place. A series of misinterpretations moves the plot along, but it does so at an extremely slow pace. Not until at least halfway through the novel did I begin to become more interested, but even then, not overly so. There was an interesting cast of characters in this one, but the reader really only gets a superficial look at them, for the most part. Overall, the slow pace of this book is what ultimately most disappointed me. ( )
  indygo88 | Apr 26, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Andrea Barrett's novel detailing the lives of patients and caregivers at a tuberculosis sanatorium in New York state in the early 20th century was an enjoyable read, but not one that stuck with me. In fact, had I not found my notes tucked inside the book from when I read it three years ago, I would have been hard pressed to recall what I did or did not like! The narrative was problematic on several fronts: it was too tangential; the narrative voice was sometimes unclear; the references to "before" and "back then" are disjointed from the story; and the flow from events into character analysis was not smooth. Nevertheless, the pace of the novel matches the slowness of the characters' lives, which while periodically frustrating, ties the physical reading experience into the narrative well. ( )
  grkmwk | Oct 26, 2010 |
Men are like plants; the goodness and flavour of the fruit proceeds from the peculiar soil and exposition in which they grow. We are nothing but what we drive from the air we breathe, the climate we inhabit, the government we obey; the system of religion we profess, and the nature of our employment. Here you will find but few crimes; these have acquired as yet no root among us. ---J. Hector St. John de Crevecoeur: Letters from an American Farmer; Letter III, "What Is an American?" (1782)
In the first place, tuberculosis is largely a disease of the poor--of those on or below the poverty line. We must further realize that there are two sorts of poor people--not only those financially handicapped and so unable to control their environment, but those who are mentally and morally poor, an lack intelligence, will power, and self-control. The poor, from whatever cause, form a class whose environment is difficult to alter. And we must further realize that these patients are surrounded in their homes by people of their own kind--their families and friends--who are also poor. It is this fact which makes the task so difficult, and makes the prevention and cure of a preventable and curable disease a matter of utmost complexity. --Ellen N. LaMotte, The Tuberculosis Nurse: Her Functions and Qualifications (1915)
For Heather
Imagine a hill shaped like a dog's head, its nose pointed south and resting on crossed front paws.

The exquisite, much-anticipated new novel by the author of Ship Fever, winner of the National Book Award.

In fall 1916, Americans debate whether to enter the European war. "Preparedness parades" march and headlines report German spies. But in an isolated community in the Adirondacks, the danger is barely felt. At Tamarack Lake the focus is on the sick. Wealthy tubercular patients live in private cure cottages; charity patients, mainly immigrants, fill the large public sanatorium. For all, time stands still. Prisoners of routine and yearning for absent families, the patients, including the newly arrived Leo Marburg, take solace in gossip, rumor, and—sometimes—secret attachments.

An enterprising patient initiates a weekly discussion group. When his well-meaning efforts lead instead to a tragic accident and a terrible betrayal, the war comes home, bringing with it a surge of anti-immigrant prejudice and vigilante sentiment. The conjunction of thwarted desires and political tension binds the patients so deeply that, finally, they speak about what's happened in a single voice.

The Air We Breathe, though entirely self-contained, extends the web of connected characters begun with Ship Fever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:10 -0400)

Detached from the rest of the country on the eve of World War I, the tuberculosis-stricken residents of an Adirondack lakeside sanatorium are housed in accordance with their economic status and languish in their isolation before an enterprising patient initiates a weekly discussion group.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393061086, 0393333078

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Air We Breathe by Andrea Barrett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,600,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible