A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book…

A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography) (edition 1992)

by David A. Adler, John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)

Member:rkrame4
Title:A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography)
Authors:David A. Adler
Other authors:John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)
Info:Holiday House (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Multicultural Books, Biography, Chapter Books, Picturebooks
Rating:**
Tags:deaf, exceptionalities, biography, blind

A Picture Book of Helen Keller by David A. Adler

I liked this book because it showcased what an amazing person Helen Keller was yet it made readers aware of her flaws. Helen was an inspirational and groundbreaking woman but she did have a wild personality. By making children aware of her flaws, the author is showing that not everyone is perfect but everyone has the potential to be great. From what I've read/researched about Helen Keller, this book provided a succinct but accurate character description. The author was successful in giving a comprehensive understanding of who Helen Keller was as a person. I liked that this book pushed young readers to think about a world unlike their own. Without sight or sound, Helen Keller had an incredibly different perception of the world. This book makes children realize that there are different ways to view the world. The purpose of this book was to give children a brief biography of Helen Keller. ( )
  agaski3 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I loved this book! In fact, I went to the book store to buy it so I could read it all the time! I enjoyed the writing style that Adler used, as for it allowed for an easy read. Adler started at the beginning of Helen's life and told her story until her last day on Earth. The story is told from a third person point of view. I really did not enjoy the illustrations, I thought they were a little dramatic, however, a younger reader may have enjoyed them. I enjoyed that Adler included the hardship that Helen experienced and how she really did behave instead of embellishing the facts. For example, Adler talked about how Helen locked her mother in a kitchen pantry and cut off her friend's hair. Also, I enjoyed that he included that Helen went and visited wounded warriors during the Second World War because many of them had become deaf or blind from the war. At the end of the book, there was a timeline of Helen's life. ( )
  jspare2 | Mar 8, 2015 |
Review: This book is filled with information about Helen Keller's life and struggle. It has pictures to go along with the story. It is very appropriate and easy to read for children.

Summary: This story is a short biography on Helen Keller and her life of being deaf and blind. It talks about the struggles that she had to go through to just live a normal life.

Argument: Many children do not know a lot about being deaf or blind, and is an awkward topic to write about in a children's book. The author did a really great job describing the events in Helens life so that a child could understand. The author also pulls the reader in and involving them in the story.
The lesson in this story is to always try your hardest no matter how many obstacles you have to go through. ( )
  knold1 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Since I read a chapter book for children about Hellen Keller, I was determined to read a picture biography about her for younger children. After searching through a couple, I found this one and could not put it down. This book illustrates and explains a brief overview of Hellen Keller's life and the struggles and obstacles that she went through and over came. ( )
  sconne7 | Dec 1, 2014 |
A Picture book of Helen Keller by David Adler is an interesting biography that focuses mainly on the childhood of Helen Keller. In this biography Helen is a young girl who is deaf and blind. She is depicted as being unable to communicate and is mean to others out of frustration.Then comes Anne Sullivan who teaches Helen ways to communicate. Helen grows up to attend college, becomes a writer and public speaker.

I found this biography to be inspirational. This story would be good to encourage everyone and remind the reader that they can overcome the hardships and challenges of having a limitation.

Story extenders in the classroom would revolve around the senses of sight and hearing. Matching the egg sounds: make a game using twelve plastic eggs. Fill two eggs with matching items that make different sounds. Example fill two eggs with penny, rice, sand, flour, a quarter,and oatmeal[dry]. Tape and glue them shut and the student will shake and see if they can find a match. for sight could fill a sock with various items and the child would have to feel and describe the item. Learning a song in sign language and exploring braille as well as making a list of ways to be helpful to others would also be interesting ways to extend the story. ( )
  imamarie | Nov 11, 2014 |

A brief biography of the woman who overcame her handicaps of being both blind and deaf.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,384,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible