A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book…

A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography) (edition 1992)

by David A. Adler, John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)

Member:rkrame4
Title:A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography)
Authors:David A. Adler
Other authors:John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)
Info:Holiday House (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Multicultural Books, Biography, Chapter Books, Picturebooks
Rating:**
Tags:deaf, exceptionalities, biography, blind

A Picture Book of Helen Keller by David A. Adler

A Picture book of Helen Keller by David Adler is an interesting biography that focuses mainly on the childhood of Helen Keller. In this biography Helen is a young girl who is deaf and blind. She is depicted as being unable to communicate and is mean to others out of frustration.Then comes Anne Sullivan who teaches Helen ways to communicate. Helen grows up to attend college, becomes a writer and public speaker.

I found this biography to be inspirational. This story would be good to encourage everyone and remind the reader that they can overcome the hardships and challenges of having a limitation.

Story extenders in the classroom would revolve around the senses of sight and hearing. Matching the egg sounds: make a game using twelve plastic eggs. Fill two eggs with matching items that make different sounds. Example fill two eggs with penny, rice, sand, flour, a quarter,and oatmeal[dry]. Tape and glue them shut and the student will shake and see if they can find a match. for sight could fill a sock with various items and the child would have to feel and describe the item. Learning a song in sign language and exploring braille as well as making a list of ways to be helpful to others would also be interesting ways to extend the story. ( )
  imamarie | Nov 11, 2014 |
Summary
This book is a biography of Helen Keller. Helen was deaf and blind and this book tells the struggles she went through as a child. She live in darkness and silence making it almost impossible to communicate with other this made Helen an angry child. When she was seven a wonderful women named Anne Sullivan became her teacher. She help taught Helen how to communicate with others. This women help Helen accomplish so much in life.
Personal Reaction
This I thought this book did a great good telling the truly amazing story of Helen Keller.
Idea Extensions
This book can be used to show children the struggle children with disabilities go through. You can have children close their eyes and cover their eyes to see how Helen lived.
This is also a book of determination it can teach children that anything is possible know matter the struggle that is in front of you.
  christa15 | Jul 15, 2014 |
I was playing library in first grade with Pearsontown Elementary School and they are Durant. Not now. ( )
  allygggggg | Jun 9, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this story about Helen Keller. I learned a lot more about her than I ever did while attending school. I feel that the way that the author chose to write about certain events in the story helped to shape the words into something great. The overall message for this book, in my opinion, is to show that you can excel at anything that comes your way. An example of how the story was enjoyable was how the author mentioned how Helen Keller went to injured soldiers from WWII who were in the hospital. The author stated that her visits meant a lot to the soldiers and she brought them hope that they would be able to pull through. This is something that I never knew that Helen Keller did and I was happy to have learned about it. Another example of what made this book great was how the author did not make the audience feel sorry for Helen Keller. The author made me feel that I was reading a book about a friend and the different trials and tribulations that they had to go through. He even added humor when he said that little Helen Keller was mischievous and would lock her mother in the pantry and cut her friend's hair off. It was a different perspective that I have ever read about Helen Keller and I enjoyed it because it was very personal. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Apr 14, 2014 |
This is a great book for lower elementary students. It is printed in layout format. I find that the illustrations, the picture of a girl on the cover and the heavy use of pastel colors, would definitely be appealing to young girls.

The book tells the story of Helen Keller's life from infancy to death. The author discuss how Keller became blind and deaf, the challenges she faced, how she over came those challenges, and how she inspired others.

This book is a great read with an easy flow from beginning to end. I would highly recommend this as a read-aloud for teacher of elementary students. It will surely invoke a sense of determination. ( )
  bdharrel | Mar 21, 2014 |

A brief biography of the woman who overcame her handicaps of being both blind and deaf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:52 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,013,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible