A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book…

A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography) (edition 1992)

by David A. Adler, John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)

264None42,996 (4.31)None
Member:rkrame4
Title:A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography)
Authors:David A. Adler
Other authors:John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)
Info:Holiday House (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Multicultural Books, Biography, Chapter Books, Picturebooks
Rating:**
Tags:deaf, exceptionalities, biography, blind

A Picture Book of Helen Keller by David A. Adler

This is a great book for lower elementary students. It is printed in layout format. I find that the illustrations, the picture of a girl on the cover and the heavy use of pastel colors, would definitely be appealing to young girls.

The book tells the story of Helen Keller's life from infancy to death. The author discuss how Keller became blind and deaf, the challenges she faced, how she over came those challenges, and how she inspired others.

This book is a great read with an easy flow from beginning to end. I would highly recommend this as a read-aloud for teacher of elementary students. It will surely invoke a sense of determination. ( )
  bdharrel | Mar 21, 2014 |
This Picture book Biography of Helen Keller tells about her life. This book helps younger children to understand her life from childhood all the way through her college years. It focuses a lot on her writings and lectures. This was written to help the younger children to learn a little about her and what is meant to be blind.

This is a great simple biography for younger children to learn more about someone that is pat of our history. The will learn what it means to be blind and also how you can overcome those obstacles.

One extension idea would be too look at some braille pages and discuss hoe they read them.
Another idea would be to take a trip to the museum to look at things from Helen Keller.
  TARA5X | Mar 18, 2014 |
Summary:
This book tells the story of Helen Keller. She experienced a troubled childhood because she is deaf and blind. She overcomes the odds and earns a degree.

Personal Reaction:
I don't think this book quite enough emphasis on how much of a challenge it was to reach Helen and how hard it was for her to learn.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. Take students on a walk in which they are blind folded in a line holding hands. They will have to communicate with one another without talking.
2. Have students try to describe an object to a partner without using words while the partner tries to guess what is being described.
  MarissaWilliams | Nov 18, 2013 |
The book is about Helen Keller. As a child she an disabilities and wishes that she was like everybody else. As she grew older she find out about the miracle worker. She got an degree with the fact of being blind and deaf. I enjoyed reading this book. Its a good book to read to young children to show them that we are all different in many ways.

Personal reaction
This was my first time reading this book. I enjoyed reading it. It talk about Helen and how she was blind and deaf. I think that this book is a good book for children in the grades of first to third. It would help them understand the different in everybody else and how we are not the same.

Extension ideas
1. I would have the students right down some thing that would be able to help somebody that is deaf or blind.
2. I would cover the students eyes and have to smell the different fruits and be able to guess what each of them smell was, and talk about if they were blind and how it is..
  kathellenahagen | Nov 25, 2012 |
Helen Keller was an amazing individual who overcame her disabilities of being deaf and blind. This book tells the story of her life, how she rose above being a child with severe disabilities to a productive adult winning the Presidential Medal of Freedom. A true hero for everyone to look up to!

I read this book to my students when we were studying Helen Keller and other influential Americans. This is the PERFECT reading level for 2nd-3rd grade. I want the whole series in my classroom now! ( )
  missbrandysue | Oct 18, 2012 |

A brief biography of the woman who overcame her handicaps of being both blind and deaf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:52 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible