A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book…

A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography) (edition 1992)

by David A. Adler, John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)

Member:rkrame4
Title:A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography)
Authors:David A. Adler
Other authors:John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)
Info:Holiday House (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Multicultural Books, Biography, Chapter Books, Picturebooks
Rating:**
Tags:deaf, exceptionalities, biography, blind

A Picture Book of Helen Keller by David A. Adler

Summary
This book is a biography of Helen Keller. Helen was deaf and blind and this book tells the struggles she went through as a child. She live in darkness and silence making it almost impossible to communicate with other this made Helen an angry child. When she was seven a wonderful women named Anne Sullivan became her teacher. She help taught Helen how to communicate with others. This women help Helen accomplish so much in life.
Personal Reaction
This I thought this book did a great good telling the truly amazing story of Helen Keller.
Idea Extensions
This book can be used to show children the struggle children with disabilities go through. You can have children close their eyes and cover their eyes to see how Helen lived.
This is also a book of determination it can teach children that anything is possible know matter the struggle that is in front of you.
  christa15 | Jul 15, 2014 |
I was playing library in first grade with Pearsontown Elementary School and they are Durant. Not now. ( )
  allygggggg | Jun 9, 2014 |
I really enjoyed reading this story about Helen Keller. I learned a lot more about her than I ever did while attending school. I feel that the way that the author chose to write about certain events in the story helped to shape the words into something great. The overall message for this book, in my opinion, is to show that you can excel at anything that comes your way. An example of how the story was enjoyable was how the author mentioned how Helen Keller went to injured soldiers from WWII who were in the hospital. The author stated that her visits meant a lot to the soldiers and she brought them hope that they would be able to pull through. This is something that I never knew that Helen Keller did and I was happy to have learned about it. Another example of what made this book great was how the author did not make the audience feel sorry for Helen Keller. The author made me feel that I was reading a book about a friend and the different trials and tribulations that they had to go through. He even added humor when he said that little Helen Keller was mischievous and would lock her mother in the pantry and cut her friend's hair off. It was a different perspective that I have ever read about Helen Keller and I enjoyed it because it was very personal. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Apr 14, 2014 |
This is a great book for lower elementary students. It is printed in layout format. I find that the illustrations, the picture of a girl on the cover and the heavy use of pastel colors, would definitely be appealing to young girls.

The book tells the story of Helen Keller's life from infancy to death. The author discuss how Keller became blind and deaf, the challenges she faced, how she over came those challenges, and how she inspired others.

This book is a great read with an easy flow from beginning to end. I would highly recommend this as a read-aloud for teacher of elementary students. It will surely invoke a sense of determination. ( )
  bdharrel | Mar 21, 2014 |
This Picture book Biography of Helen Keller tells about her life. This book helps younger children to understand her life from childhood all the way through her college years. It focuses a lot on her writings and lectures. This was written to help the younger children to learn a little about her and what is meant to be blind.

This is a great simple biography for younger children to learn more about someone that is pat of our history. The will learn what it means to be blind and also how you can overcome those obstacles.

One extension idea would be too look at some braille pages and discuss hoe they read them.
Another idea would be to take a trip to the museum to look at things from Helen Keller.
  TARA5X | Mar 18, 2014 |

A brief biography of the woman who overcame her handicaps of being both blind and deaf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:52 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible