A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book…

A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography) (edition 1992)

by David A. Adler, John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)

Title:A Picture Book of Helen Keller (Picture Book Biography)
Authors:David A. Adler
Other authors:John Wallner, Alexandra Wallner (Illustrator)
Info:Holiday House (1992), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 32 pages
Collections:K-2nd Grade Readers, Multicultural Books, Biography, Chapter Books, Picturebooks
Tags:deaf, exceptionalities, biography, blind

A Picture Book of Helen Keller by David A. Adler

Could use this book to teach vocabulary works in shared reading. ( )
  tlj033 | Oct 29, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book a lot. I learned a lot about Helen Keller, stuff I didn't know there was. I liked how easy and simple the book was to read. It would be very easy to read to children and I know they would understand and be able to point out key details easily from this text. I also enjoyed how the illustrations really reflected what was being read in the story. The message of this story is determination, never give up even when times are at there worse. ( )
  dvazqu2 | Oct 22, 2015 |
Helen Keller was an inspiring person. I have learned about Helen Keller but I did not know everything she went through. I loved how much I learned about Helen in such a short book. First, I loved how kid friendly this text was. The illustrations in this book were so great that you could tell the story without reading the words. The illustrator drew Helen learning the alphabet and certain words. Also, you could tell Helen struggling just by looking at the pictures. At one point, she was outside and the picture shows her falling over everything, just as the text was describing her obstacles she was going through. This book really opened my eyes because you see how Helen Keller’s was a lot different than everyone else yet she reminded hopeful and happy. Her first word was water because her teacher, Anne, had her actually feel the water. Once Helen made the connection to the word and the object, Helen started to succeed. She was a very bright girl who was eager to learn. Her life might be different, being blind and deaf, but she dealt with what she had and made the best of it. This story shows determination. Being a biography of Helen Keller, the readers are able to see the obstacles Helen overcame as well as all the successful things she has done. Helen has touched everyone’s lives by how successful she truly was. ( )
  Jvoorh1 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I liked this book because it showcased what an amazing person Helen Keller was yet it made readers aware of her flaws. Helen was an inspirational and groundbreaking woman but she did have a wild personality. By making children aware of her flaws, the author is showing that not everyone is perfect but everyone has the potential to be great. From what I've read/researched about Helen Keller, this book provided a succinct but accurate character description. The author was successful in giving a comprehensive understanding of who Helen Keller was as a person. I liked that this book pushed young readers to think about a world unlike their own. Without sight or sound, Helen Keller had an incredibly different perception of the world. This book makes children realize that there are different ways to view the world. The purpose of this book was to give children a brief biography of Helen Keller. ( )
  agaski3 | Apr 2, 2015 |
I loved this book! In fact, I went to the book store to buy it so I could read it all the time! I enjoyed the writing style that Adler used, as for it allowed for an easy read. Adler started at the beginning of Helen's life and told her story until her last day on Earth. The story is told from a third person point of view. I really did not enjoy the illustrations, I thought they were a little dramatic, however, a younger reader may have enjoyed them. I enjoyed that Adler included the hardship that Helen experienced and how she really did behave instead of embellishing the facts. For example, Adler talked about how Helen locked her mother in a kitchen pantry and cut off her friend's hair. Also, I enjoyed that he included that Helen went and visited wounded warriors during the Second World War because many of them had become deaf or blind from the war. At the end of the book, there was a timeline of Helen's life. ( )
  jspare2 | Mar 8, 2015 |

A brief biography of the woman who overcame her handicaps of being both blind and deaf.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:10 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,912,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible