Doctor De Soto by William Steig

Doctor De Soto (edition 1982)

by William Steig

Member:storytimestandouts
Title:Doctor De Soto
Authors:William Steig
Info:New York : Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, c1982.
Tags:children's book, picture book, anthropromorphis, dentists, animals, mice, foxes, Newbery Honor Book

Doctor De Soto by William Steig

Summary:
This is the story of a mouse and his wife. He was a dentist and she was the dentist's assistant. They helped animals big and small with all kinds of teeth problems. They did not help those that may eat them. One day he helps a fox that was desperate for pain relief. As the dentist worked the fox grew hungry. The dentist pulled the tooth and sent the fox on his way. The next day the fox came back for his new tooth and he decided after he got his new tooth he would eat the mice. Prepared for this, Doctor De Soto put paste on his teeth and had him clinch them in order to glue his mouth shut.

Personal reaction:
I understand what the story is about, but it may not be as clear to children. I feel sad for the fox because he was expected to have his mouth glued shut for two days. A fox could starve in that time.

Classroom extensions:
1. Have children name other animals that may hurt or eat Doctor De Soto.
2. Have the classroom name the other professions a mouse could do. ( )
  l-thomas-l | Jul 23, 2017 |
I was not the biggest fan of this book for three reasons. The first reason was because I did not find it that enjoyable to read. The plot was uneventful and I was truly unimpressed by the author's writing. Quite frankly I found the writing to be very bland and not punchy at all. In the story, two mice try to fix a fox's teeth and avoid getting eaten in the process. Personally I found this to be boring and overall was disinterested the entire time.
The second reason I disliked this story was because I found it to be outdated. This book was published in 1983 and it shows its age. The pictures are dull and vintage looking. Personally I did not find them that attractive due to their lack of vividness. The pictures also lack detail and depth. This led to me to become bored quite quickly because every page looks very similar to one before.
The last reason I did not like this story was because of its predictability. Immediately after the Fox's character was introduced, I predicted that the Fox would try to eat the mice and the mice would retaliate.
I can appreciate the book's theme of not letting someone intimidate you based on their size; however, this does not change the fact that I greatly disliked this book. I can see why it received a Newberry Honor when it was first released because this book's target audience was children born thirty years ago. Since times have changed, I do not find this book to be as enjoyable as a child might have in the past. ( )
  dluna1 | Apr 8, 2017 |
This book is about a mouse that is a dentist in his town. The only thing is that he didn't help dangers animals until one day a fox came in and asked for help. I like this book because its a very cute story. I would use this book in my class because its has meaning behind it.This book would be good for third or fourth grade. ( )
  Cassandra.k | Mar 27, 2017 |
This is a short and sweet book about a mouse who is a dentist and his wife. The dentist, Dr. De Soto has a rule that he doesn't work on animals that are dangerous to mice. One day a fox begs for his assistance and him and his wife reluctantly agree to help him, even though they know the fox has bad intentions. The mice are able to help the fox and outsmart him so that they remain unscathed. This would be a good book to teach children about problem-solving as well as trying to help and see the good in everyone but at the same time not being naive. ( )
  A_Whitney | Jan 18, 2017 |
Doctor De Soto is a mouse. He performs dental service for all non-carnivorous animals. One day, a fox comes to his office with a broken tooth. Doctor De Soto decides to be brave and help the fox, with a little trickery. This picture book could be used in a classroom to work on reading dialogue, there is quite a bit in this story. I also like how the Doctor De Soto decided to help the fox, but also set up protections for himself. This book can teach students problem solving, and thinking holistically about consequences of all types of action.

This book won a Newberry Honor Medal, a runner up for the Newberry Award. The Newberry Medal was the first available to picture books and is awarded to original creative work in books for children. ( )
  jangelique | Nov 23, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374418101, Paperback)

Doctor De Soto is a well-respected mouse-dentist who runs a successful practice with his wife (and able assistant) Mrs. De Soto. The De Sotos are friendly and professional toward all their patients, from chipmunks to donkeys to cows, the exception being "cats and other dangerous animals," as stated clearly on the sign outside the office. But the De Sotos are tender-hearted rodents, so when a miserable fox shows up begging for treatment, they agree to have a look (perhaps against their better judgment). As it turns out, this fox, with "a rotten bicuspid and unusually bad breath," manages to behave himself while tiny Doctor De Soto is standing mid-molar inside his gaping jaws. When the wily fox returns the next day to get his replacement gold tooth, however, he has mouse-flavored snacks on his mind. Luckily, Doctor De Soto and his wife have anticipated such despicable canine intentions, and find a way to outfox the ungrateful fox.

William Steig, award-winning creator of Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, once again offers young readers a clever, amusing tale of interspecies mingling. As usual, Steig's tone is matter-of-fact, and his enchanting illustrations of the responsible mouse couple and their foxy adversary are alive with expression and emotion. Kids will appreciate the De Sotos' wit, and will be delighted to read more about this diminutive couple's adventures in Doctor De Soto Goes to Africa. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:08 -0400)

Dr. De Soto, a mouse dentist, copes with the toothaches of various animals except those with a taste for mice, until the day a fox comes to him in great pain.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,009,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible