Draw Me A Star by Eric Carle

Draw Me A Star (1992)

by Eric Carle

Banned Book Week 2017. This year I'm reading a few picture books that have been challenged for their content, this one due to its depiction of nude Adam and Eve stand-ins.

I'd never heard of this particular Eric Carle, and having read it, I wish I were still ignorant of its existence. This tedious combination of bible creation story and reflection on creativity makes me curious about only one thing: Is this where Darren Aronofsky got the idea for his mother! movie? ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This story has a lot of different things that can be used as math concepts. It shows shapes, line and even time. The little boy starts his painting and constantly adds to it. While at the end, we see how he has aged and how his artwork has progressed. At one point the artist breaks down how to use line to draw a perfect star. ( )
  ktgordon | Nov 27, 2017 |
I'm really glad we got a chance to read this book. It brought up a great discussion about banned books. In fact, I was so intrigued by it all that I went home to ask my husband his opinion about this book. ( )
  glguerra | Nov 30, 2015 |
Eric Carle is a very favorite children's author of mine... I love the variegated colors he uses in each illustration! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Summary: This book follows an artist as he draws several different things. He begins by drawing a star. As he draws a variety of things he ends his drawings with another star.

Personal Reaction: I loved the illustrations in the book until the portion of the book where the artist draws the woman and man. The people are not depicted with clothes on so that could be an issue with reading it to a class. There is not really a story line so I would not read this to any child older than Kindergarten.

Classroom extension ideas: One way I would use it in the classroom is to have the children draw each of the things in the book and make their own Draw Me a Star book. Another way I would use this book is when we talk about shapes. We can also learn about stars and how to draw them because the book shows a very explicit step by step of how to draw a star.
  yourfavhannah | Aug 27, 2014 |
For my father (1904-1960)
Draw me a star.

?Draw me a star. And the artist drew a star. It was a good star. Draw me a sun, said the star. And the artist drew a sun.? And on the artist draws, bringing the world to life picture by beautiful picture until he is spirited across the night sky by a star that shines on all he has made. In Draw Me a Star, Eric Carle celebrates the imagination in all of us with a beguiling story about a young artist who creates a world of light and possibility. ?A remarkable, quintessentially simple book encompassing Creation, creativity, and the cycle of life within the eternal.? -- Kirkus Reviews, pointer review ?This book will appeal to readers of all ages?. An inspired book in every sense of the word.? -- School Library Journal ?A fable about the passage through life and its fullness of possibilities, children will like the cumulative effects of the tale, the creation of the world through paints, and Carle?s collages flaring with rainbow hues.? --The Bulletin of the Center for Children?s Books

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:30 -0400)

An artist's drawing of a star begins the creation of an entire universe around him as each successive pictured object requests that he draw more.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,814,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible