Everybody Cooks Rice by Norah Dooley

Everybody Cooks Rice

by Norah Dooley

Series: Everybody

Summary- This book was about a little girl who went looking for her brother among all her neighbors' houses. At each house she talked about where the family came from and what they were making and she ate a little food. Each family was making a different dish but all included some type of rice. After going through many different houses and cultures and learning about many different kinds of rice she goes home and finds her brother there. The little girl mentions how everyone was having rice for dinner that night.
Genre- This book would be realistic fiction because this is a story that could be true.
Age- 2nd-5th grade.
Media- It does not say but possibly oil painting or some type of drawing.
  crystal.krahmer | Apr 8, 2017 |
Summary
This is a story about a little girl named Carrie who is sent out to find her brother before dinner. While she is searching in her neighborhood she learns that all her neighbors eat rice, buts it’s not cooked the same. This teaches her we are not so different after all.

Personal Reaction
I think this book connects cultures together with food. I think this is a great book to teach children that the way we look on the outside doesn’t mean we are not the same on the inside.

Extension Ideas
1. Have the children come up with different ways to eat rice.
2. Then have them pair the type of rice with the culture. ( )
  April03 | Mar 27, 2017 |
This is a great multicultural book to read aloud to third and fourth graders. This book is about a girl named Carrie who has to find her brother so that they can go eat dinner. I like the illustrations in the book because they aren't just drawings, they are drawn to look like real people. It is also nice that the text is in both Spanish and English. Therefore, giving the reader the option to read it in either language. ( )
  Sthefania | Feb 28, 2017 |
I loved this book because it shows students that no matter your ethnicity or background there is always some sort of middle ground for us all. This book shows multiple cultures via food. Personally I think this book is related simply because everyone loves food so what better way to compare and find middle ground than to eat food. ( )
  kaitlyn_king | Nov 8, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a great multicultural book. Carrie is told to find her little brother because dinner is ready. She enters each of her neighbors houses in search of her brother, but notices it is dinner time in each household. Every neighbor house she goes to are all cooking rice but in different ways, they are cooking rice dishes from their cultural backgrounds. She tastes each dish from all different places like Puerto Rico, Barbados, Vietnam, Haiti, China, India and eventually comes back to her house where her family is having an Italian rice dish. I really like how throughout the story, Carrie describes the different tastes she experiences from each household, this allows the reader to get an idea of how different the foods are even if they are all made with rice. The plot flows very well and is easy for children to follow. I really enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book because the reader sees the types of ingredients the family is using their dishes as well as seeing the different cultures in each household. Overall this book teaches children about diversity in a very simple way, through food, which is easy for children to understand.
  Sierra_Lawson | Nov 1, 2016 |

A child is sent to find a younger brother at dinnertime and is introduced to a variety of cultures through encountering the many different ways rice is prepared at the different households visited.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,770,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible