Wie het laatst lacht by James Patterson

Wie het laatst lacht (original 1999; edition 2009)

by James Patterson, Gerard Grasman

Other authors:Gerard Grasman
Info:Utrecht : Bruna; 411 p, 18 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=297487825
Collections:Gelezen, Your library
Tags:thriller

Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson (1999)

Recently added bypomo58, lilnursesuhy, arena100, suen526, sherripo, private library, rickdewit, superbiskit, beearedee

English (24)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (26)
Originally on my book blog!

Can I just flail instead of write a review? This was a masterpiece and you should believe me because I don’t use that word often. Everything was fabulous in this book. The characters (that’s nothing new), the plot (also nothing new), the plot twists (go figure), and the ending (SHOCKER, THAT).

No really, this book was like fictional quicksand (as opposed to real quicksand that actually takes a really long time to swallow you up.) This book took a full two minutes, if that, to make me want to read the rest of it in one sitting. I read the back of the book before I started reading it and I saw that they put Shafer’s name on the back and I was like “um??? I know who the killer is so???” but it’s so much more than that. I wanted to keep reading to find out WHY he killed them, WHY he was such a creepo, and WHY he picked him victims.

Alex and Christine are ~in love~ and they are perfect together. They have a very grown up relationship and they took their relationship slow. I love them together. I love Christine’s relationship with Jannie and Damon because that’s a healthy relationship. Parents: if you are going to have step kids due to a marriage with previous kids from it, read about this relationship. They are doing it right. There are some books that if they aren’t filled with suspense, they may get boring or tedious, but this series is not like that. When the suspense is not happening, I still greatly enjoy the books because of how well the relationships are written.

This series has shed a lot on how marginalized groups feel about cops and the justice system as a whole. Patterson doesn’t go out and say “the cops don’t care about marginalized groups” because he doesn’t have to.

“The police won’t do nothin’. You never come back here again after today. Never happen. You don’t care about us. We’re nothin’ to nobody.”

I know not everyone spends their days reading articles of things like this, but I try to keep up on important things and I see things like this frequently. It may be uncomfortable for other people to read, but I think it’s important for Patterson to put these things in the books, especially when Alex Cross lives in a place where it happens daily.

BUT THE PLOT TWISTS. Okay, if you’re not really into the personal lives of Alex Cross and his family, or the ties to Real Life Issues, you can skim those and still enjoy the book because the plot twists are incredible. I don’t remember the last time I read a book where the plot twists surprised me this much. If you’re a fan of plot twists, you’d be a fan of this book.

The ending was as perfect as a book with several murders and sadness could be. I wasn’t sure how they would end a book like this, but the ending was better than I thought it would be. Probably the best ending of the series so far. As soon as I set the book down, all I wanted to do was go grab the next one and start reading it but I can’t because it’s a 3 hour drive from here.

I totally recommend this book to anyone that doesn’t mind murder and some gruesome scenes.

Have you read any books in this series? If so, did you like them? ( )
  beearedee | Feb 14, 2015 |
One of my favs in this series. Patterson will run you through a wide list of emotions in this book and will keep you interested until the end. ( )
  SSbooks | Nov 14, 2014 |
As always this was another great book by James Patterson. I am not sure there have been too many that I didn't like so far. This one kept me reading til I finished and I can't wait to read the next one. Or maybe I have read it...Hmmm! ( )
  diananagy | Jul 10, 2014 |
In POP GOES THE WEASEL, James Patterson has created a formidable villain every reader will see in the shadows when the lights are out, a tender love story, a plot powered by relentless suspense and psychological thrills kicked up to an all-time high 'It's all just a game, darling. I play with three other men. Their names are FAMINE, WAR and CONQUEROR. My name is DEATH. You're a very lucky girl ' I'm the best player of all.' Geoffrey Shafter: a man who never loses, he is prepared to play the game of games for the highest stakes of all. Alex Cross: senior Washington, DC, homicide detective, he is determined, whatever the consequences, to unmask the man he has nicknamed the weasel, the prime suspect for a spate of killings that Cross has been forbidden to investigate. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Das war mein letztes Buch von James Patterson und der Auslöser, warum ich Ihn nicht mehr lesen werde: einfach nur noch unrealistisch.Ich habe auch den verdacht, dass er die Bücher gar nicht mehr selbst schreibt, sondern zusammen mit einem Team von Ghostwritern schreibt, denn der Qualitätsunterschied zu den früheren Büchern ist schon enorm. ( )
  volumed42 | Jan 27, 2012 |
Het afleveren van een onverbiddelijke bestseller is zijn doel. Wel, daarin is hij geslaagd.
This is for Suzie and Jack, and for the millions of Alex Cross readers who so frequently ask, Can't you write faster?
Geoffrey Shafer, dashingly outfitted in a single-breasted blue blazer, white shirt, striped tie and narrow gray trousers from H. Huntsman and Son, walked out of his town house at seven thirty in the morning and climbed into his black Jaguar XJ12.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446608815, Mass Market Paperback)

Likened to a "young Muhammad Ali," Alex Cross, the Porsche-driving profiler, doctor, detective, and father of two has seen his fair share of vicious killers. From a bloodthirsty butcher who came after his family (Cat and Mouse) to a devilish duo working cross-country (Kiss the Girls), Cross has managed to outmaneuver all of his enemies. Until he meets the Weasel.

A series of killings in the forgotten, crime-infested ghettos of southeast D.C. has sent Cross and his 6'9" 250-pound partner, John Sampson, in search of the "Jane Doe" killer. However, their racist, tyrannical boss George Pitman orders them to stay out of the southeast and investigate the high-profile murder of a wealthy white man. Cross already has suspicions that the murders are linked, but when Sampson's ex turns up in an abandoned southeast warehouse kicked to death, the two detectives carry on with their original investigation. Meanwhile, Cross's longtime love, Christine (Cat and Mouse), has taken prominence in his life, and it looks as if the two will finally get hitched--with one glitch: Cross puts everything he loves in jeopardy as he obsessively goes after the Weasel.

Akin to a slick Hollywood action flick, Pop Goes the Weasel doesn't have time for meaningful character development or thoughtful moral analysis. And it doesn't need to. Its winning formula is based on short scenes (chapters average about 3 pages), addictive plot progression, and mean dialogue: "Sampson sighed and said, 'I think her tongue is stapled inside the other girl. I'm pretty sure that's it, Alex. The Weasel stapled them together.' I looked at the two girls and shook my head. 'I don't think so. A staple, even a surgical one, would come apart on the tongue's surface.... Crazy glue would work." --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:31 -0400)

A serial killer unleashes a reign of terror in Washington against black women. Detective Alex Cross goes after him and discovers a British embassy official who masquerades as a black taxi driver to lure his victims.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,798,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible