I Know an Old Lady by G. Brian Karas

I Know an Old Lady

by G. Brian Karas

Summary:
The traditional story of "I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" but named "I Know An Old Lady." The book showed a boy who actually caught footage of the trauma of what all the old lady ate until she died.
Personal Reaction:
At first I did not like the book at all. I think it could have more of a teaching with the traditional story but I enjoyed the new character the little boy who seemed to be bored at the beginning and the old lady across the way he noticed grasping and swallowing a fly.
Classroom Extension:
1) Being an investigator
2)Food chain
3) Encouraging kids to be creative such as journalism and taking pictures
4)Music- singing on last page offers the song with notes to play. ( )
  KristinaCotten | Feb 13, 2014 |
Summary- An old lady swallows a fly. She continues to eat more animals to "catch" the animals she ate before them. Eventually she dies.

Personal Reaction- I loved this story growing up. it is catchy and fun to say all the silly lines. Now that I'm older it is a little weird that it shows her dying in the end.

Extensions-
1) Sing the song in the back of the book with the class.
2) Discuss rhyming words and have the children practice coming up with rhyming couplets.
  megblack | Feb 12, 2014 |
Summary: There once was an old lady who began by swallowing a fly. So she kept on swallowing different animals to catch the animals she swallowed before. Finally, she swallowed a horse and died.

Personal Reaction: There was a little boy behind the scenes reporting the animals the old lady swallowed. The rhythm you read the book to is so much fun for the kids.

Classroom Extension:
1. Use the repetition in the book to get the kids to read along with the teacher.
2. Have the students write their own behind the scenes report about any story they want. ( )
  Mandi20 | Sep 11, 2013 |
Summary:
This story illustrates the traditional tale of an old woman who eats a series of things, beginning with insects and then works her way up the food chain to counteract each previous thing she had eaten (first she ate a fly, then a spider, a cat, a dog, etc.) until she finally dies because she had eaten so much.

Personal Reflection:
While the retelling and illustrations were well-done in this rendition of the story, I personally found the entire story to be completely horrifying.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
-This book could be used in a health lesson, discussing the downfalls of gluttony.
-The items the old lady eats move along the food chain and could be used to open a lesson on that concept. ( )
  JLGadberry | Sep 11, 2012 |
This book told a story of an old lady who ate numerous animals and got bigger and bigger. She ate so much that in the end, she died. It was written in a rhyming, sing-a-long way which keeps the audience interested and involved.

Since it keeps the audience interested, it is a very fun book to read aloud. The pictures are quite funny and very entertaining. It is just a silly story that is fun for everyone.

In the classroom, you could read the story without showing the picture to the students. After finishing the story, you can have the students draw their own picture of how they think the old lady looks eating one of the animals. Then read the story again and show the illustrations. You can then compare and contrast the pictures they drew and the pictures in the book. Another fun follow-up would be to read all of the other versions of this story and make a compare and contrast chart on them.
  Shelby09 | Feb 12, 2010 |

"I know an old lady who swallowed a fly. / I don't know why she swallowed a fly. / Perhaps she'll die." In Brian Karas's zany interpretation of this classic children's song, a young boy spies an old lady with a big appetite for animals. (Musical score included.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:48 -0400)

Retells the cumulative tale in which an old lady pays the supreme penalty for her peculiar eating habits.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,284,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible