Resurrection Dreams by Richard Laymon

Resurrection Dreams (1988)

by Richard Laymon

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
People praise Laymon like he is the messiah of Horror; so far my experiences with him have been hit and miss. I was sorely disappointed with Body Rides, madly in love and ready to give my virginity (if it existed any longer, that is) to Resurrection Dreams, but as for this one, I’m stuck smack dab in the middle. On the brink, but never quite getting there.

The plot is cheesy, childishly simple, and mainly predictable. Predictable, cheesy, simple plots can be enjoyed, of course, but one usually expects a bit more from Laymon. The idea that Melvin can really do what he does is outlandish enough; a reader learns to suspend a certain amount of disbelief, but the way it came to play here seemed a bit overdone. Also, what was the purpose? You would figure he’d want to show the world now that he had proof.

The characters are real enough, likeable in their own way, even Melvin, who the author made sure you felt sorry for while still making sure you couldn’t help getting amused by his gawkiness. Laymon didn’t go overboard with the sexual lust and wanting here, but he did manage to anger me with the ending concerning a few of the characters. The beginning was fine, with some shocks and thrills, the middle held up well enough pacing wise and the ending, while strongly written, didn’t sit with me well.

Laymon’s writing style is direct, humorous, and dark when it’s meant to be. Regretfully he left any semblance of suspense and genuine horror out the door, instead opting for some cheaper gross out factors, not even dishing that out much.

This isn’t a Laymon book I’d recommend highly, but I wouldn’t tell Laymon fans to pass it up. It’s not bad, it’s more lukewarm – nothing to get excited and ga-ga over, but not something that would entirely spoil an evening either. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Melvin Dobbs is a social outcast with dreams of bringing the dead back to life. Not to bring back lost loved ones, but rather to have servants that will obey him unconditionally. Vicki Chandler, was cordial to Melvin in high school and when she returns to town to pursue being a small town doctor, Melvin has grand plans for her.

Richard Laymon does not hesitate when it comes to writing horror fiction. If a highly disturbing image escapes his pen, it is not edited out. In fact, it may be enhanced to bring the shock factor to the next level. If you do not like gruesome, taboo and gory horror fiction, do not read Laymon. Save him for us, those with a bit of a sick twisted side that enjoy a good scare. ( )
1 vote JechtShot | Apr 10, 2011 |
Laymon has times when he's an excellent writer--Island--at other times he's downright awful--The Woods Are Dark--and then there are books that are okay, such as Resurrection Dreams. It has an interesting premise, with a doctor returning to her old home and finding someone who she stuck up for in high school, but regrets due to his later actions. This same man has found a way to resurrect the dead, and has plans for her, plans that will place the people around her in grave danger.

Like I said before, this book isn't anything spectacular, but it's good fun, so I'd encourage Laymon fans to read it, and anyone curious about his works as well, but I wouldn't start with this one. ( )
  NKSCF | Jun 21, 2010 |
The book went in a direction that I was not expecting, which is great. But with twenty pages left I was wondering, "Just how is he going to end this thing?" And the answer was, "Oh. Okay. I guess that works."
One half of the ending, involving the protagonist, is pretty lame. Didn't care for it at all. The other half is just...great...in my opinion. And I think Laymon gave the protagonist an ultra happy ending to balance the really good part of the ending. A shame. What can I say? I think unhappy all around works better.
1 vote katen | Jul 12, 2007 |
Haunted by memories of a deranged boy named Melvin, who attempted to bring a dead body back with power from a car battery, Vicki returns home years later and encounters Melvin, who, just released from the institution, has special--and horrifying--plans for her.
  sarradee | Dec 12, 2005 |
"Lass dir sagen, Jerry, du kämest in eine verzweifelt schlechte Karriere, wenn das Ins-Leben-Zurückrufen Mode würde."

Charles Dickens, Eine Geschichte aus zwei Städten

Charles Dickens, Eine Geschichte aus zwei Städten
That had to be Steve Kraft.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,215,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible