Resurrection Dreams by Richard Laymon

Resurrection Dreams (1988)

by Richard Laymon

198659,376 (3.44)4

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
Melvin Dobbs is a social outcast with dreams of bringing the dead back to life. Not to bring back lost loved ones, but rather to have servants that will obey him unconditionally. Vicki Chandler, was cordial to Melvin in high school and when she returns to town to pursue being a small town doctor, Melvin has grand plans for her.

Richard Laymon does not hesitate when it comes to writing horror fiction. If a highly disturbing image escapes his pen, it is not edited out. In fact, it may be enhanced to bring the shock factor to the next level. If you do not like gruesome, taboo and gory horror fiction, do not read Laymon. Save him for us, those with a bit of a sick twisted side that enjoy a good scare. ( )
1 vote JechtShot | Apr 10, 2011 |
Laymon has times when he's an excellent writer--Island--at other times he's downright awful--The Woods Are Dark--and then there are books that are okay, such as Resurrection Dreams. It has an interesting premise, with a doctor returning to her old home and finding someone who she stuck up for in high school, but regrets due to his later actions. This same man has found a way to resurrect the dead, and has plans for her, plans that will place the people around her in grave danger.

Like I said before, this book isn't anything spectacular, but it's good fun, so I'd encourage Laymon fans to read it, and anyone curious about his works as well, but I wouldn't start with this one. ( )
  NKSCF | Jun 21, 2010 |
The book went in a direction that I was not expecting, which is great. But with twenty pages left I was wondering, "Just how is he going to end this thing?" And the answer was, "Oh. Okay. I guess that works."
One half of the ending, involving the protagonist, is pretty lame. Didn't care for it at all. The other half is just...great...in my opinion. And I think Laymon gave the protagonist an ultra happy ending to balance the really good part of the ending. A shame. What can I say? I think unhappy all around works better.
1 vote katen | Jul 12, 2007 |
Haunted by memories of a deranged boy named Melvin, who attempted to bring a dead body back with power from a car battery, Vicki returns home years later and encounters Melvin, who, just released from the institution, has special--and horrifying--plans for her.
  sarradee | Dec 12, 2005 |
"Lass dir sagen, Jerry, du kämest in eine verzweifelt schlechte Karriere, wenn das Ins-Leben-Zurückrufen Mode würde."

Charles Dickens, Eine Geschichte aus zwei Städten

Charles Dickens, Eine Geschichte aus zwei Städten
That had to be Steve Kraft.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible