The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to…

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (1997)

by Miguel Ruiz

3,277None1,667 (3.82)30
Recently added byprivate library, Kitamura, mhmr, Miss.Oscar, dysmonia, carltonbrownV47

I admit I was skeptical about this book, because I am not a spiritual person. However, it was recommended to me by someone I respect, and I need all the help I can get when it comes to self-improvement. Plus, it's flipping famous, and I was curious: the cover is burned into my memory from the years when I worked at Barnes & Noble.

Although, as expected, I did struggle a bit with the mentions of god and spirituality, I was able to look past those references to the techniques being suggested in the book for ways to live an authentic and meaningful life.

4. Always do your best.

I created the acronym "IPAD" in order to remember them (impeccable, personally, assumptions, do your best).

I did memorize the agreements and I repeat them to myself as I go through my day as part of my attempt to be a better person. I won't go so far as to say this book changed my life, but it was worth reading, and I'd like to work harder to implement its tenets. I think I could get more out of them. ( )

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
First I should draw your attention that all the principles in this book are a main standards in our religion Islam, However At this time we should practice and seed these simple four agreements in our life:

1. Being impeccable with your own words : cause the words have its power effect be it positive or negative; we always talk with our self inside our head and we also talk to people and the power in our words will reach them ,so we should choose them very carefully.

2. Never take anything personally : I think this is the most crucial one, we -because of our self-doubt nature- we take everything seriously and think that that we are bad and the chain reaction starts here. but we should always know that all that talks whether it is (-) or ( ) it is flowed from the other person own hell so it's not our affair it is their wrong vision of themselves and of life!

3. Don't make assumptions : and from this point all arguments, disputes and breaking up in relationships are from put something you decide it's true in your mind but it is not (like thinking this person knows what I want so why not giving it to me ??) and much more other things

4. Do you best in every aspect of your life and in applying those peaceful agreements :)

Soplada | Feb 27, 2014 |
An easy read. Simple concise and practical. I thought it was an easy application of cognitive psychology. ( )
  Your_local_coyote | Dec 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 187842484X, Hardcover)

At the heart of the Toltec teachings are the "Four Agreements (Los Cuatro Acuerdos)." According to don Miguel Ruiz, a Toltec nagual, or shaman, everything we do is based on agreements we have made -- agreements with ourselves, with other people, with God, with life. But the most important agreements are the ones we make with ourselves. In these agreements we tell ourselves who we are, how to behave, what is possible, what is impossible. One single agreement is not such a problem, but we have many agreements that come from fear, deplete our energy, and diminish our self-worth. In Los Cuatro Acuerdos, don Miguel reveals the source of self-limiting agreements that rob us of joy and create needless suffering. When we are ready to change these agreements, there are four deceptively simple, yet powerful agreements that we can adopt as guiding principles. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, the four Agreements offer a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:39 -0400)

Presents advice on how to gain personal freedom by following the wisdom of the Toltecs.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible