The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to…

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (1997)

by Miguel Ruiz

Great ideas surrounded by childish pablum. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Different. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
The advice Ruiz presents in this book is relatively simple. He provides 4 guiding principles to use to guide your life--your relationship with yourself and your relationships with others:

1) Be impeccable with your word.
2) Don't take anything personally.(When someone says something negative, it is not about you; it is about them.)
3) Don't make assumptions. **Instead, ask questions.**
4) Do your best.

Ruiz uses each of these principles to show the power of the word, which we use to make agreements with ourselves and with others. His goal is to show us how to replace those negative agreements that we have bought into or come to believe through pressures from others and society.

While the advice Ruiz gives is simple and seems to be common sense, he admits that none of this is easy; but, he notes that if we always strive to do our best--and our best changes every day and under different circumstances--that the other three agreements will become easier. But it becomes easier to do our best as long as we practice doing our best.

I think that the book offers refreshing insight as well as a different way to look at how our words and our thoughts impact our self-esteem as well as our relationship with others. It's a very simple approach to personal freedom.

I do think that some readers will have to strive to get past the language he uses when he talks about "white magic" and "black magic". However, if you can get past some of his language choices, it is easy to see the fundamental soundness to this approach to life. ( )
  slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |

1) Be impeccable with your word.
3) Don't make assumptions. **Instead, ask questions.**
4) Do your best.

slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |
Practical advice if applied to personal and professional relationships. ( )
  tamikathompson | Aug 9, 2015 |
To the Circle of Fire;
those who have gone before,
those who are present,
and those who have yet to come.
What you are seeing and hearing right now is nothing but a dream.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 187842484X, Hardcover)

At the heart of the Toltec teachings are the "Four Agreements (Los Cuatro Acuerdos)." According to don Miguel Ruiz, a Toltec nagual, or shaman, everything we do is based on agreements we have made -- agreements with ourselves, with other people, with God, with life. But the most important agreements are the ones we make with ourselves. In these agreements we tell ourselves who we are, how to behave, what is possible, what is impossible. One single agreement is not such a problem, but we have many agreements that come from fear, deplete our energy, and diminish our self-worth. In Los Cuatro Acuerdos, don Miguel reveals the source of self-limiting agreements that rob us of joy and create needless suffering. When we are ready to change these agreements, there are four deceptively simple, yet powerful agreements that we can adopt as guiding principles. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, the four Agreements offer a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

Presents advice on how to gain personal freedom by following the wisdom of the Toltecs.

Beyond Words Publishing

3 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 1878424319, 187842436X, 1878424777

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible