The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to…

The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (1997)

by Miguel Ruiz

missing
  annekris | Aug 3, 2014 |
I could listen to Peter Coyote read the phone book, No, REALLY! This book dare one to make four "easy" Toltec agreements with yourself that are anything but and have the power to significantly affect your life view. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Jul 28, 2014 |
An inspiring read. This can speak to anyone, regardless of religion (or lack thereof). ( )
  loewen | Jul 24, 2014 |
To me, this book started out with some mystical sounding things that I didn't always understand. However, it quickly settled into some very clear writing that outlined for me basic ways I can control my behavior that will lead to greater happiness in my life. ( )
  Merryann | Apr 20, 2014 |
I admit I was skeptical about this book, because I am not a spiritual person. However, it was recommended to me by someone I respect, and I need all the help I can get when it comes to self-improvement. Plus, it's flipping famous, and I was curious: the cover is burned into my memory from the years when I worked at Barnes & Noble.

Although, as expected, I did struggle a bit with the mentions of god and spirituality, I was able to look past those references to the techniques being suggested in the book for ways to live an authentic and meaningful life.

The "four agreements" referenced in the title are:

1. Live with an impeccable word.
2. Don't take anything personally.
3. Don't make assumptions.
4. Always do your best.

I created the acronym "IPAD" in order to remember them (impeccable, personally, assumptions, do your best).

I did memorize the agreements and I repeat them to myself as I go through my day as part of my attempt to be a better person. I won't go so far as to say this book changed my life, but it was worth reading, and I'd like to work harder to implement its tenets. I think I could get more out of them. ( )
  dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 187842484X, Hardcover)

At the heart of the Toltec teachings are the "Four Agreements (Los Cuatro Acuerdos)." According to don Miguel Ruiz, a Toltec nagual, or shaman, everything we do is based on agreements we have made -- agreements with ourselves, with other people, with God, with life. But the most important agreements are the ones we make with ourselves. In these agreements we tell ourselves who we are, how to behave, what is possible, what is impossible. One single agreement is not such a problem, but we have many agreements that come from fear, deplete our energy, and diminish our self-worth. In Los Cuatro Acuerdos, don Miguel reveals the source of self-limiting agreements that rob us of joy and create needless suffering. When we are ready to change these agreements, there are four deceptively simple, yet powerful agreements that we can adopt as guiding principles. Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, the four Agreements offer a powerful code of conduct that can rapidly transform our lives to a new experience of freedom, true happiness, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:39 -0400)

Presents advice on how to gain personal freedom by following the wisdom of the Toltecs.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible