Running Blind by Lee Child

Running Blind (2000)

by Lee Child

Series: Jack Reacher (4), Jack Reacher Chronology (7)

Sergeant Amy Callan and Lieutenant Caroline Cook have a lot in common. High-flying army career women, both are victims of sexual harassment from their superiors; both are forced to resign from the service. And now they're both dead. Their unmarked bodies are discovered in their own homes, naked, in baths filled with army-issue camouflage paint. Expert FBI psychological profilers start to hunt for a serial murderer, a smart guy with a score to settle, a loner, an army man, a ruthless vigilante known to them both. Jack Reacher, a former US military cop, is a smart guy, a loner and a drifter, as tough as they come. He knew both victims. For Agent-in-Charge Nelson Blake and his team he's the perfect match. They're sure only Reacher has the answers to their burning questions: how did these women die? And why?… (more)
Recently added byLenellEN, rena75, Ian-Angus, Sarielle, Howard_baker, private library, madtwnbmbr

English (65)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (69)
Another author whose works I just did not get around to reading in order, so I am rectifying that this year. Lee Child is a solid writer and Jack Reacher is a character I thoroughly enjoy reading about. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jan 20, 2020 |
this wasn't as interesting or exciting as the others and I figured this one out about halfway through. I also always listen to these in audio and while the narrator was good, wasn't as good as the narrator from the later books. ( )
  tmbookluvr | Dec 3, 2019 |
There are so many twists to Running Blind that it might feel a little like walking through a haunted house. You never know when something is going to pop out at you, but because stuff does pop out at you, and with alarming frequency, you come to expect the surprises. They might not even shock you over time. The premise of Running Blind is former military women are being murdered all over the country. The cause of death is a mystery. There are no fatal wounds, no signs of a struggle, none of the women defending themselves, there wasn't even forced entry into their homes. The commonality between each murdered victim besides military connections is Jack Reacher. Of course. What makes this story like all the others is that government officials keep trying to pin the murders on Reacher. He's always guilty in every book. What makes this story slightly different from the rest is this time Reacher has a serious girlfriend, a lawyer to help bail him out. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Oct 20, 2019 |
Running Blind is substantially better than the last two novels which I found to be a considerable dip in quality when reading the series chronologically. I might even go as far as to say so far it's been the best one so far in terms of substance, mystery of who the responsible party is and generally how gripping the narrative was.

In this installment we also see Reacher facing some level of repercussions for his use of violence according to his own moral code which in earlier novels wasn't so apparent, that I recall anyway.

Where last book we saw the lonely drifter personality trait become tied down with the acquisition of a car and inheritance of a house, in this installment we see Reacher struggling to come to terms with the anchors that they are, and for once he isn't sleeping with the main female character of the story.

The only real problem with the plot is the idea that Reacher is being pressured by the FBI, essentially blackmailed, which to my mind contradicts the events of Die Trying in which the FBI is grateful for his cooperation. To my mind he could have called on his earlier contacts to solve his issues without all the hoopla, but then that wouldn't be a particularly interesting novel.

Overall, an excellent addition to the series that expanding the character further and stepped away from the rather formulaic style of the last novels. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Oct 14, 2019 |
One of the earliest Reacher's. Not the best plot structure and seemed to lack the tension we've come to expect of the series. Interesting though to take a look back and see how Child has developed his character. ( )
  PCHcruzr | Oct 7, 2019 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marques, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Audrey and John, who taught me how to read, and why
People say that knowledge is power.
Running Blind (USA) is a.k.a. The Visitor in the UK and Australia.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

German

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,314,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible