Sacred by Dennis Lehane

Sacred (1997)

by Dennis Lehane

English (39)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  German (1)  All languages (47)
Patrick and Angie discover that they are being followed, but they underestimate their stalkers and they get kidnapped. "Luckily" for them, it's just a dying billionaire that wants to hire them to find his daughter before he dies. And they feel for him, especially Angie and agree to take the case. What could go wrong, it's just a missing person case? Of course, nothing is as it seems and this missing case turned out to be a much bigger case than they had bargained for and as usual, they just can't seem to catch a break and this case just like the last one will take a toll on them.

This book was not as intense as the last one, still good, but just not exceptionally good. But the final confrontation and Patrick and Angie's way of delivering justice were great. There are twists and turns in the story and that is as always great, I love reading books where nothing is as it seems. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Simpler and more obviously Chandlerian than the first two. A rich old man hires our detectives to find his missing daughter. Nothing is as it seems.

Like a lot of modern noir our heroes always managed to be friends with the best of the best - the scariest thug, the best lawyer. Some great action set pieces but less menacing and less miserable than the first two. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
It’s been a long time since I read anything by Dennis Lehane although I know I have liked the books I have read. He just seems to have dropped off my radar in recent years. This book has been languishing on my TBR pile for many years but I recently picked it up. Immediately I was captivated by the witty repartee. Then I was intrigued by the mystery and I hardly came up for air for two days.
Patrick Kenzie and his partner Angie Gennaro are PIs based in Boston. They haven’t been working for a while because of their previous case which left both of them particularly Angie shocked and depressed. Then they notice someone tailing them. Patrick being the smart ass he is goes over to confront his tail. He really is off his game because he gets assaulted and drugged (as does Angela). It’s all good though because they get offered a lucrative job of finding a missing person by rich business magnate Trevor Stone. Stone’s wife was killed in a car-jacking; Trevor was injured and then was diagnosed with terminal cancer and their daughter Desiree got involved with a grief counsellor. Then Desiree disappeared and Trevor hired another investigator to find her. Jay Becker had been Patrick’s mentor and Patrick knew he could find almost anyone. Except Jay has now gone missing and Trevor still needs to find his daughter. He chose Kenzie and Gennaro for the job and when he couldn’t get them by telephone or letter he kidnapped them. Gives you some idea of the ruthlessness of Mr. Stone but as the story develops the kidnapping seems like small potatoes. The case takes them to Florida where even pallid Patrick gets a tan. They also get the idea that nothing in the case is as it seems. As Angie says “Up is down; black is white.” Trust Kenzie and Gennaro to get to the bottom of things despite attempts on their life bad weather and dishonourable people.
This was just the thing to remind me how much I enjoy a suspenseful thriller written by a great writer. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 30, 2018 |
"Sacred" es la tercera instalación de las ‘aventuras’ de Patrick Kenzie y Angela Gennaro. Dennis Lehane es el autor y lo publica en el 1997.

La trama del segundo libro, "Darkness, Take My Hand", termina en la víspera de navidad; éste arranca a mediados de marzo, por lo que hay una distancia de casi tres meses en la narrativa.

"Sacred" empieza con Kenzie y Gennaro siendo perseguidos y, días más tarde acaban siendo secuestrados.

Trevor Stone, quién los secuestra, es un hombre con la cara destrozada por un accidente y con un cáncer terminal. Él necesita algo de ellos... Él necesita que los investigadores encuentren a su hija, Desiree Stone.

Él es un hombre multimillonario y su primera opción fue la gran agencia Hamlyn and Kohl Investigations, donde trabaja Jay Becker, uno de los mejores investigadores privados, héroe personal y mentor profesional de Kenzie.

En medio de la investigación, Jay Becker también desaparece y es cuando Stone opta por los servicios de Kenzie y Gennaro.

En entradas anteriores ya había dicho que los personajes de Dennis Lehane son multidimensionales, cada libro agrega capas a los protagonistas.

La novela, naturalmente, introduce personajes nuevos. Éstos personajes también son complejos y dan color a una historia llena de giros, pistas y sorpresas.

La trama nos llevará desde las gélidas y grisáceas calles de Boston hasta un colorido y húmedo Florida. Y, en una serie, un cambio de localidad siempre es bueno.

El libro tiene una extensión de unas 396 páginas (tapa-blanda), repartidas en 3 partes, 42 capítulos y un epílogo.

Si tendría que hacer un 'review' de una oración diría que Sacred es mejor que "A Drink Before the War" pero "Darkness, Take My Hand" es ligeramente superior. ( )
  JorgeLC | Apr 28, 2018 |
Some seriously dark stuff. Plus this has more character development in detectives Kenzie & Gennaro than the previous two books and less of their wise-cracking banter. ( )
  wandaly | Dec 21, 2017 |
El multimillonario Trever Stone, antes de morir, contrata los servicios de los experimentados detectives Patrick Kenzie y Angela Gennaro para que averigüen el paradero de su hija Desiree, que lleva tres semanas desaparecida, así como la desaparición del primer detective que el multimillonario contrató para localizarla, Jay Becker, mentor de Patrick.

Acostumbrados a sobrevivir en las sórdidas calles de Boston, los detectives viajan hasta los embriagadores atardeceres de Florida siguiendo una pista poco fiable, que les conducirá a una tierra corrupta y abonada de mentiras. Avanzar en la investigación es penetrar en un territorio donde nada es sagrado. No hay espacio para el error: confiar en la persona equivocada o dar un paso en falso significa la muerte.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Do not give dogs what is sacred;
do not throw your pearls to pigs.
If you do, they may trample them underfoot,
and then turn and tear you to pieces.

-Matthew 7:6
For Sheila
A piece of advice: If you ever follow someone in my neighborhood, don't wear pink.

From School Library Journal
Dying billionaire Trevor Stone has his thugs kidnap sleuths Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro and bring them to his mansion so he can hire them to find his missing daughter, Desiree. She is supposedly grief-stricken over the death of her mother and the impending death of her father but it becomes clear that she may not be the sweet and beautiful daughter her father describes. Patrick's mentor, Jay Becker, was the first investigator on the case but he has also disappeared. Patrick and Angie follow the trail to Florida after a brief encounter with a group of religious swindlers who may be involved with the disappearances. Every person they meet adds more confusion and conflicting information to the puzzling case. The intricate mystery of the changing identity of Desiree, dangerous car chases, bloody shoot-outs, and the humorous dialogue between Patrick and Angie, all with subtle romantic overtones, will keep you turning pages.

The Boston private eyes, Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro, are hired by a dying billionaire to find his missing daughter who has been grieving the murder of her mother. The trail leads them to a religious cult in Florida and more murders.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,464,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible