Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman

Song and Dance Man (original 1988; edition 2003)

by Karen Ackerman, Stephen Gammell

Member:sextonrene
Title:Song and Dance Man
Authors:Karen Ackerman
Other authors:Stephen Gammell
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Mrs.Sexton's Favorite Books 23

Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman (1988)

Works great for Grandparents day or if the students are learning about music.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. To begin with, I loved the colored pencil illustrations spread across the pages. The colors popped out on the page and fascinated me. When the grandfather would dance in the story, the colors would dance as well. I also liked how the illustrator made the grandfathers shoes very shiny to the point where they had their own shadow on the page. The next reason why I liked this book was because it takes the reader, as well as the grandchildren in the story back to the grandfathers past, where he was a "song and dance man" on the Vaudeville stage. I thought that it was interesting that while the grandchildren were learning about their grandfathers past, and how he used to spend his free time, so is the reader. Lastly, I think that this book can be great to use with different lessons or activities in the classroom. The students can ask their grandparents what they would love to do in their free time back in the day, or what they would find if they were to look in their attic, and then share it with the class. Overall, the main idea of this book was for the grandchildren to learn about when their grandfather was a song and dance man! ( )
  margan1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
This is a touching story about a grandpa who shares a bit of his past with his grandchildren. He takes them to the attic and puts on his tap shoes and costume and performs for them. The children love it and enjoy seeing their grandpa as the song and dance man. I really enjoyed this because it shows that memories still live on even when those glory days are over, and that there are always new people to share those memories with. Everyone is happy as grandpa performs for them. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |
This story is under the realistic fiction category and as a class we would read the story. Afterwords the students would discuss what they liked about the story and then we would look at all the hats that were in the story. We would go back to our seats and tell what all hats we saw, describe them, and then what hats you would add to the collection. ( )
  hollyegirard | Nov 29, 2014 |
Summary:
The Caldecott Book, "Song and Dance Man," is the story of an older gentleman that once was a performer on the vaudeville stages back in what he calls "the good old days, the song and dance days." When his grandchildren come to visit he begins to tell them the stories of "the good old days." He takes them up to the attic ans pulls out all his vaudeville clothes and props and puts on a show for them. The grand kids love it.

Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this story because I love when my grandparents can share memories with me, especially ones they can act out. I also really liked how it not only told about what a vaudeville show was but the grandpa acted it out in the pictures. I just learned what a vaudeville show was my freshmen year of college so I thought it was interesting and nice that it was targeted at younger kids.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I can see making this into an interactive history lesson, for example, bringing in clothes and music from the time period to give the kids a better understanding of "the good old days."
2. It could also be turned into another history/volunteer project by possibly taking a field trip to a nursing home and letting them hear real life stories from people from the time period.
  AlexCCrupper | Sep 16, 2014 |

Karen Ackermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394893301, Hardcover)

Once a song and dance man, Grandpa reclaims his youth and profession before the delighted eyes of his three grandchildren one afternoon. He simply cannot resist the urge to dress up in clothes left over from his vaudeville days--complete with top hat and gold-headed cane--and to perform tricks, play banjo and tell jokes. He taps, twirls and laughs himself to tears on a thrown-together stage in his attic. Artist Stephen Gammell takes full advantage of lamplight to render Grandpa in shadow and silhouette, trivializing the concept of age and creating a feeling of intense nostalgia. Related from the point of view of the children, the text in Song and Dance Man is soft and understated, and Gammell's artistry is superb. The book won the Caldecott Medal in 1989.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:57 -0400)

Grandpa demonstrates for his visiting grandchildren some of the songs, dances, and jokes he performed when he was a vaudeville entertainer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible