Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman

Song and Dance Man (original 1988; edition 2003)

by Karen Ackerman, Stephen Gammell

Member:sextonrene
Title:Song and Dance Man
Authors:Karen Ackerman
Other authors:Stephen Gammell
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Mrs.Sexton's Favorite Books 23

Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman (1988)

Summary: This is a story about a grandfather telling his grand kids about the good old days when he was younger. The kids started getting bored of all the talking, so grandpa takes them up to the attic before dinner. Turns out grandpa still has some moves! The kids loved the show and at the end the family seems to be closer than they were at the beginning.

Personal reaction: I loved this book because grandpa got to put on a huge show. While I was reading it I could picture a grandpa trying to do a fast tap dance and I was worried the grandpa in the story would pass out or something. It kept me smiling the entire time. I love theatre and performing arts, so for me this was a really great book and I feel like I connected with it because I am a theatre geek.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. Young kids could put on a performance. Either just for the class or for the families.

2. Older kids could use it for a short story and show and tell. They could go home and talk to their parents or guardians about what it was like when they were younger, and then they could bring some sort of memorabilia from when their parents/guardians were younger for a show and tell.
  Bretny | Jan 20, 2015 |
Works great for Grandparents day or if the students are learning about music.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 4, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. To begin with, I loved the colored pencil illustrations spread across the pages. The colors popped out on the page and fascinated me. When the grandfather would dance in the story, the colors would dance as well. I also liked how the illustrator made the grandfathers shoes very shiny to the point where they had their own shadow on the page. The next reason why I liked this book was because it takes the reader, as well as the grandchildren in the story back to the grandfathers past, where he was a "song and dance man" on the Vaudeville stage. I thought that it was interesting that while the grandchildren were learning about their grandfathers past, and how he used to spend his free time, so is the reader. Lastly, I think that this book can be great to use with different lessons or activities in the classroom. The students can ask their grandparents what they would love to do in their free time back in the day, or what they would find if they were to look in their attic, and then share it with the class. Overall, the main idea of this book was for the grandchildren to learn about when their grandfather was a song and dance man! ( )
  margan1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
This is a touching story about a grandpa who shares a bit of his past with his grandchildren. He takes them to the attic and puts on his tap shoes and costume and performs for them. The children love it and enjoy seeing their grandpa as the song and dance man. I really enjoyed this because it shows that memories still live on even when those glory days are over, and that there are always new people to share those memories with. Everyone is happy as grandpa performs for them. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |

Karen Ackermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394893301, Hardcover)

Once a song and dance man, Grandpa reclaims his youth and profession before the delighted eyes of his three grandchildren one afternoon. He simply cannot resist the urge to dress up in clothes left over from his vaudeville days--complete with top hat and gold-headed cane--and to perform tricks, play banjo and tell jokes. He taps, twirls and laughs himself to tears on a thrown-together stage in his attic. Artist Stephen Gammell takes full advantage of lamplight to render Grandpa in shadow and silhouette, trivializing the concept of age and creating a feeling of intense nostalgia. Related from the point of view of the children, the text in Song and Dance Man is soft and understated, and Gammell's artistry is superb. The book won the Caldecott Medal in 1989.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:57 -0400)

Grandpa demonstrates for his visiting grandchildren some of the songs, dances, and jokes he performed when he was a vaudeville entertainer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,167,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible