Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman

Song and Dance Man (original 1988; edition 2003)

by Karen Ackerman, Stephen Gammell

Title:Song and Dance Man
Authors:Karen Ackerman
Other authors:Stephen Gammell
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Mrs.Sexton's Favorite Books 23

Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman (1988)

I loved this book, I especially liked how well the characters were described and developed, most specifically the grandfather. For example, "We forget that it's Grandpa dancing, and all we can hear is the silvery tap of two feet, and all we can see is a song and dance man gliding across a vaudeville stage," the words and pictures really showed how much the grandfather loved song and dance as well as how much he loved his grandchildren and making them smile. I also really liked the language in this book. The writing was clear and everything was very descriptive and used a lot of similes and metaphors. For example, "His voice is as round and strong as a canyon echo, and his cheeks get rose as he sings, "Yankee Doodle Boy,"" which made the book really enjoyable. I think the main idea of this story was the relationship and love between family members. ( )
  shax1 | Oct 6, 2016 |
The Song and Dance Man is a very enjoyable book to read. This book shares the story of a grandfather who is a retired vaudeville performer. This is a very enjoyable story because it allows young readers to look back on this grandfathers past. Reading this story may inspire the readers to ask about their grandparent's "old days". The drawings in this book are very colorful and fun, if there were no words to the book, it would still be understood through the use of pictures. The story has very good pacing and uses fun words to explain things, such as "He sprinkles a little powder on the floor..." the readers could act out the motions as well. Lastly, the ending of the story leaves behind a good message, "Grandpa glances back up the stairs, and we wonder how much he really misses that time on the vaudeville stage," This allows children to realize that there is a past to every person. ( )
  MeganSiebeneichen | Oct 5, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a good book. I liked this book because the characters were very believable. I feel as if many children could relate to the children in the story and what they're going through. I also liked the plot of this book. Although there wasn't a major problem or a lot of suspense in the story, it still flowed very well and kept me engaged. I liked that there was humor involved because it made me want to keep turning the pages and read more. The big message in the story is to enjoy the time spent with your family, especially your elders. ( )
  dberry6 | Oct 3, 2016 |
This book is about a grandpa showing his grandchildren his past in the attic. How he used to dance, sing and do magic tricks. His grandchildren loved the show and loved seeing his past. This book was cute. I love when grandparents tell their old days stories. ( )
  knbenson6584 | Sep 15, 2016 |
Song and Dance Man is a story about a grandfather trying to teach his three young grandchildren about the "good old days." The story begins with the grandfather telling his grandchildren that back in the day they had better entertainment then just watching TV. So the grandfather takes his grandchildren to the basement which is filled with all of the grandfather's old props and costumes from when he use to perform on the Vaudeville stage. I think the book is a cute story that shows the realistic relationship between a grandparent and grand kids. It is relate able for children to read because most kids have grandparents that tell them all about the stuff in the past, and the things they have experienced. I think this book also provides a good teaching moment for a teacher to teach students about Vaudeville and the entertainment it provided back then. The illustrations in the book were very colorful and engaging that it catches your eyes while reading. Overall I really enjoyed the book and think that children will like it too. ( )
  NihadKased | Sep 14, 2016 |

Karen Ackermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394893301, Hardcover)

Once a song and dance man, Grandpa reclaims his youth and profession before the delighted eyes of his three grandchildren one afternoon. He simply cannot resist the urge to dress up in clothes left over from his vaudeville days--complete with top hat and gold-headed cane--and to perform tricks, play banjo and tell jokes. He taps, twirls and laughs himself to tears on a thrown-together stage in his attic. Artist Stephen Gammell takes full advantage of lamplight to render Grandpa in shadow and silhouette, trivializing the concept of age and creating a feeling of intense nostalgia. Related from the point of view of the children, the text in Song and Dance Man is soft and understated, and Gammell's artistry is superb. The book won the Caldecott Medal in 1989.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Grandpa demonstrates for his visiting grandchildren some of the songs, dances, and jokes he performed when he was a vaudeville entertainer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,744,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible