Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman

Song and Dance Man (original 1988; edition 2003)

by Karen Ackerman, Stephen Gammell

Member:sextonrene
Title:Song and Dance Man
Authors:Karen Ackerman
Other authors:Stephen Gammell
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Mrs.Sexton's Favorite Books 23

Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman (1988)

Grandpa reminisces about the good ol' days with his grandkids. He then decides to show them more about the good ol' days as he takes them into the atic. In the attic are the old clothes, posters, and music from grandpa's time. He entertains his grandkids with song and dance and they like his show more than the shows on TV. ( )
  mloya | May 3, 2016 |
Karen Ackerman writes about how a grandpa entertains his three young grandchildren. Instead of letting them spend their time watching television, he decides to take out his old tap shoes and perform for them. Once he starts his performance, the children forget that he is their grandpa and just see him as what he used to be, which is a song and dance man. The children and Grandpa all have a great time and truly enjoy each other’s company. Stephen Gammell’s illustrations are absolutely beautiful. After I read the book, I went back and only looked through the illustrations. Even without the words I was able to engage in a beautiful story. ( )
  cedoyle | Apr 25, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. The colors the author used for the illustrations really drew me in. It was really cute to me because the children were so interested in their grandfather reminiscing about his past. The bright colors created a happy tone and mood. The colors used seemed like they were watercolor which would be counted as the medium. I would recommend this book to children in grades K-2 because they would really enjoy this funny and interesting book. ( )
  taylor_garner | Apr 5, 2016 |
This book would be good to use for combining song and dance into your lesson. You could talk about what kind of dances they did in the grandfathers days and the music they listened to. After that, you could get the students up and get them to do the dances and try to sing along the best they can.
  whitneyosborne | Feb 16, 2016 |
In my opinion, this book was fine. The characters were all believable: Grandpa, Grandma and the three grandchildren. A lot of detail was gone into in regard to the Grandpa, but not really any other characters. I believe the author did this intentionally but it would have been nice to at least have a name for the Grandma and the Grandchildren. I thought the illustrations were appropriate and made sense with the text throughout. For example, pages 11-12 presented a really cute picture that went great with the text! The illustrations definitely enhanced the story and matched the written text. The biggest issue I found was trying to discover the big idea/ message the book was trying to get across. Personally, I feel as though the book doesn't really push readers to think about tough issues and broaden perspectives - unless of course a teacher were to mention what issues to look out for/ consider while reading this book.
Possibly the main idea/ message of this book is the fact that even though Grandpa isn't quite ready to give up his passion for singing and dancing, he knows he has to make a tough decision. He has grandchildren who love his singing and dancing side, but he also knows that this isn't what he is going to be able to do with them forever. The big idea that could be pulled away is to not let your past hold you back from spending valuable time with loved ones and the importance of moving on and embracing the things you have around you. Although it may be very difficult to let go of things from the past, it is important to acknowledge the present. Trying to pinpoint exactly the big message from this book is a challenge, and that didn't really sit well with me. As a reader myself, I wish the text could have been a little more straight-forward. ( )
  hfetty1 | Feb 15, 2016 |

Karen Ackermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394893301, Hardcover)

Once a song and dance man, Grandpa reclaims his youth and profession before the delighted eyes of his three grandchildren one afternoon. He simply cannot resist the urge to dress up in clothes left over from his vaudeville days--complete with top hat and gold-headed cane--and to perform tricks, play banjo and tell jokes. He taps, twirls and laughs himself to tears on a thrown-together stage in his attic. Artist Stephen Gammell takes full advantage of lamplight to render Grandpa in shadow and silhouette, trivializing the concept of age and creating a feeling of intense nostalgia. Related from the point of view of the children, the text in Song and Dance Man is soft and understated, and Gammell's artistry is superb. The book won the Caldecott Medal in 1989.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Grandpa demonstrates for his visiting grandchildren some of the songs, dances, and jokes he performed when he was a vaudeville entertainer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,369,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible