Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman

Song and Dance Man (original 1988; edition 2003)

by Karen Ackerman, Stephen Gammell

Title:Song and Dance Man
Authors:Karen Ackerman
Other authors:Stephen Gammell
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2003), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Mrs.Sexton's Favorite Books 23

Song and Dance Man by Karen Ackerman (1988)

This book talks about grandparents and music! It would be so awesome to use in the classroom on grandparents day. It encourages participation of singing too which is so much fun.
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
This book is a charming book that proves that you're only as old as you feel. Three children spends the day reminiscing with their grandfather about the good ol'days. He takes his grandchildren on a journey in his attic showing them how those times were fun. This book is so cute, it was awarded in 1989 the Caldecott Medal for illustration. The Lexile level 780L. I agree that students will really enjoy this. ( )
  ktboyd | Nov 13, 2015 |
I love this book. One reason why I love this book is because of the illustrations. The colors in the story are very bright and bold. The pictures are funny too because throughout the whole book the Grandpa's nose is bright red. Another reason why I love this book is because of the character Grandpa. He used to dance on the vaudeville stage and loves dancing and throughout the book you can see how much he loves it and stays true to himself. I think the main idea of this book is for children to learn to stay true to themselves. ( )
  athomp33 | Sep 30, 2015 |
Children go to visit their grandfather and he tells them about his days as a performer. He takes them to the attic to get his old cane, hat, and tap shoes and ends up performing for his grandkids.

Personal reaction:
I love this book because it reminds me of anytime my grandparents have told me stories about "back in their day". None of them were performers but they always have great stories.

Classroom extension ideas:
- students write in their journals about something they didn't always know about their grandparents.
-Students participate in a talent show.
  Megan_Livsey | Sep 21, 2015 |
I was not a huge fan of this book, but I'm sure children would love it. Written by Karen Ackerman, this book shows a fun and loving relationship between a grandfather and his grandchildren. The book shows the grandfather as an energetic elderly person who loves entertaining his grandchildren. Though I was not a huge fan of the book, the illustrations were very vibrant and colorful and really brought my attention to the book. The grandfather takes the children into the attic and shows them his old dancing shoes as he relives his vaudeville days as a dance. This would be great for children to start asking about those times and to get a sense of what the past was like, aside from what they learn in their history classes. This book is a wonderful way to introduce music and entertainment to children. ( )
  AmellDubbaneh | Sep 21, 2015 |

Karen Ackermanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gammell, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394893301, Hardcover)

Once a song and dance man, Grandpa reclaims his youth and profession before the delighted eyes of his three grandchildren one afternoon. He simply cannot resist the urge to dress up in clothes left over from his vaudeville days--complete with top hat and gold-headed cane--and to perform tricks, play banjo and tell jokes. He taps, twirls and laughs himself to tears on a thrown-together stage in his attic. Artist Stephen Gammell takes full advantage of lamplight to render Grandpa in shadow and silhouette, trivializing the concept of age and creating a feeling of intense nostalgia. Related from the point of view of the children, the text in Song and Dance Man is soft and understated, and Gammell's artistry is superb. The book won the Caldecott Medal in 1989.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:03 -0400)

Grandpa demonstrates for his visiting grandchildren some of the songs, dances, and jokes he performed when he was a vaudeville entertainer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,845,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible