Stone Soup by Ann Mcgovern

Stone Soup (edition 1986)

by Ann Mcgovern, Winslow Pinney Pels (Illustrator)

Title:Stone Soup
Authors:Ann Mcgovern
Other authors:Winslow Pinney Pels (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (1986), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:All Time Favorites

Stone Soup by Ann McGovern

Stone Soup is a wonderfully illustrated and written book. The author does a wonderful job of using words and dialogue that will make the reader laugh. Although this book is older, the author did a wonderful job of picking illustrations that help support all that is being read. Even though the colors are basic (due to the book being older), it will help the students to realize what time period the book is set in. ( )
  AshleyJarrard | Oct 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the illustrations of Stone Soup, Pels showed very detailed emotions of the characters. This is a cute trickster tale that children will enjoy. I liked how the dress of the characters reflected the time period that this tale originated from, it is a very authentic take on this tale. I believe the message of this book reminds us, in a comical way, of people we may know that are very gullible like the old woman ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 13, 2016 |
A fairly straightforward retelling.  Maybe a little long because there's a verse & chorus thing going on.  But the young man is not a soldier, and there are no neighbors.  The best thing about this edition are the creative illustrations by Winslow Pinney Pels.  I will look for more by her. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I thought that this was a very cute book. This story is about a man who had been traveling for a long time, and stopped at an elderly lady's house in search for some food. He assumed that she would have a lot of food, but she had very little. This demonstrates that people should not be so quick to assume things. The boy ends up asking for a stone saying that he can make soup from it. He tricks the old lady into adding edible ingredients, which eventually forms a soup. The two eventually become friends and share the soup together. The old lady is surprised at how a soup could have been made from such simple ingredients. The cleverness of the boy is something that young readers may find humorous. I also enjoyed the repetition of the "fancy that!" from the old woman, which is something that young children could catch on to. Overall, I think this book is a great example of teaching how something big can be made from something small. ( )
  alexavecchio | Dec 1, 2015 |
24 months - This was on our to read list and then I found it at Goodwill for 50 cents, I'd say it was a good deal. Entertaining story, seems there are other similar versions (Rabbit Stew) for example. Not sure that I should like and want to read a story about tricking an old woman but I do. :) ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This is a classic story. "Stone Soup" is a great sharing story and great for storytelling and being interactive.
added by courtneyemahr | editCourtney E. Mahr

Ann McGovernprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langner, NolaIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pels, WinslowIllustratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
A young man was walking.

A clever young man tricks an old woman into believing that soup can be made from a stone. As the pot of water boils with the stone in it, he urges her to add more and more ingredients until the soup is a feast "fit for a king." In print for 30 years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

When a little old lady claims she has no food to give him, a hungry young man proceeds to show her how to make soup with a stone and water. "Retold for beginning readers."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,828,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible