Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold

Tar Beach (1991)

by Faith Ringgold

Series: Cassie

Wonderfully illustrated book tells the dreams of a young girl growing up in Harlem in the late 30's. She shares a passionate voice of action and change as she dreams of flying over the well-known buildings of NYC that hold power over her family and her life. ( )
  EllieRickett | Sep 10, 2014 |
Summary: Imagination is exposed in this amazing book. The work of a quilted art story woven into a little girl named Cassie in the 1939 Harlem. SHe is looking down from her roof at the "tar beach" with a mind full of imagination. It focuses on freedom and dreams of a young girl. She enjoys watching the city from the rooftop.
Personal Reaction:This book was touching and inspiring. I had to read it a couple times before it finally clicked to me what was going on. It inspired me because she was loved being able to see the view and since it was such a hard time and she was coming from such a lower-class family, she found time for herself.
Classroom Extensions: Have students lie on the floor and close their eyes. Read this book to them and reflect on when Cassie was flying over George WAshington bridge. Reflect to the children what it felt like to fly. Have the students illustrate what they saw when they were flying.
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
This book requires a lot of thought to understand what is really going on. It would probably not be as good for kindergarteners as it would be for 2nd or 3rd graders. I like that the story comes from the point of view of an African-American girl, which isn't currently found in enough books for kids. ( )
  TaraStraight | Mar 5, 2014 |
I liked the book because it is a unique story that described a girl dreaming of flying over New York City. She felt that if she flew over something that it would be hers. She says, “All I had to do was fly over it for it to be mine forever.” If I were a child reading this story, I would be able to relate to this girl. She has a sense of feeling different and as an outsider, which is a common feeling among children at different times. The majority of the book is centered on the flying girl talking about her family and how important they are to them. So therefore, the main message of this story is family. She wants the best for her family especially her father when she says, “Well, Daddy is going to own that building, ‘cause I’m gonna fly over it and give it to him. Then it won’t matter that he’s not in their old union, or whether he’s colored or a half-breed Indian, like they say.” ( )
  bkling1 | Feb 26, 2014 |
Cassie Louise Lightfoot dreams of flying over New York City at night over "tar beach" in Harlem and the rooftops of the city her father helped to build. Tar Beach recounts the African American experience during the Depression in a semi-autobiographical, fictional account of a young girls' plans to make a better life for her family. Ringgold's beautiful quilt paintings rendered Cassie's original nighttime flight over tar beach in vivid colors, and the illustrations created for the book adaptation of the story echo the style used in Ringgold's original art piece. The language used has a poetic feel, capturing the fanciful, dreamlike quality of Cassie's journey through the sky. ( )
  Octokitten | Feb 17, 2014 |
"I will always remember when the stars fell down around me and lifted me up above the George Washington Bridge."

Illus. in full color. "Ringgold recounts the dream adventure of eight-year-old Cassie Louise Lightfoot, who flies above her apartment-building rooftop, the 'tar beach' of the title, looking down on 1939 Harlem. Part autobiographical, part fictional, this allegorical tale sparkles with symbolic and historical references central to African-American culture. The spectacular artwork resonates with color and texture. Children will delight in the universal dream of mastering one's world by flying over it. A practical and stunningly beautiful book."--(starred) Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:00 -0400)

A young girl dreams of flying above her Harlem home, claiming all she sees for herself and her family. Based on the author's quilt painting of the same name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,711,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible