Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold

Tar Beach (1991)

by Faith Ringgold

Series: Cassie

In "Tar Beach", an eight year old girl named Cassie Louise Lightfoot took the readers on an adventure with her when flying above the city of New York. Cassie uses her imagination to escape from reality. When flying over the city, she thinks of the life she wants for her family. She imagines her dad being rich and owning his own building, her family eating ice cream every night, and her mom being happy. The book touches on themes like racism and poverty, but Faith Ringgold did a wonderful job talking about it in a lighter way for children. My favorite part about this book were the illustrations. It is no surprise that "Tar Beach" received the Caldecott and Coretta Scott King awards for illustration. The pictures were unique and the border of each page had colorful patterns of a quilt. When looking at the illustrations, I feel like I am flying with Cassie which I am sure was Faith Ringgold's goal. ( )
  hjaber | Jan 26, 2016 |
In this fantasy book, Cassie Louise Lightfoot brings the readers on a journey around her city. She talks about her family accomplishments and how she would like to accomplish something so big in her life as well. She dreams and takes the readers on a flying adventure with her and her family as well. The illustrations are very complex. A lot of color is exposed. The drawings look like they needed a lot of time to do. The text is small, hard to understand for beginner readers, and the author tends to use big words. This book is great for middle schoolers and up because of the big words used, but the story line shows great adventure and can expand on the children's goals. ( )
  sherr3084796 | Dec 3, 2015 |
I wish I knew the history of Tar Beach and perhaps I would have understood the story much better.
  kali.joy | Nov 2, 2015 |
TAR BEACH by Faith Ringgold is a fantasy book about a girl flying around the city. She goes up on her roof top what she calls Tar Beach and imagines what it would be like to fly around the city. She goes into great detail about where she would love to go and what she would do. She explains that she would enjoy going to get ice cream and going on the bridge her father helped build. This would be a good book for a teacher to read to their students because it get them thinking about where they would want to travel if they could fly. The illustrations in the book are hand painted pictures using a lot of details to explain what they girl is picturing. What I get from reading this book that we need to use our imaginations more to express our happiness just like the girl in the book. ( )
  SSamson0 | Oct 20, 2015 |
38 months - I love the idea of a story quilt and this story is a combination of memory and fantasy. The illustration style is not necessarily my favorite but I enjoyed the story. O on the other hand completely refused to read it. This doesn't happen often but after flipping through the pages before I sat down to read she just made up her mind. What can you do? ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
"I will always remember when the stars fell down around me and lifted me up above the George Washington Bridge."

Illus. in full color. "Ringgold recounts the dream adventure of eight-year-old Cassie Louise Lightfoot, who flies above her apartment-building rooftop, the 'tar beach' of the title, looking down on 1939 Harlem. Part autobiographical, part fictional, this allegorical tale sparkles with symbolic and historical references central to African-American culture. The spectacular artwork resonates with color and texture. Children will delight in the universal dream of mastering one's world by flying over it. A practical and stunningly beautiful book."--(starred) Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

A young girl dreams of flying above her Harlem home, claiming all she sees for herself and her family. Based on the author's quilt painting of the same name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,190,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible