Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold

Tar Beach (1991)

by Faith Ringgold

Series: Cassie

Recently added byprivate library, kday_working, AR_bookbird, shaunaph, nyxluna19, theditty, TrinityPatriots

I wish I knew the history of Tar Beach and perhaps I would have understood the story much better.
  kali.joy | Nov 2, 2015 |
TAR BEACH by Faith Ringgold is a fantasy book about a girl flying around the city. She goes up on her roof top what she calls Tar Beach and imagines what it would be like to fly around the city. She goes into great detail about where she would love to go and what she would do. She explains that she would enjoy going to get ice cream and going on the bridge her father helped build. This would be a good book for a teacher to read to their students because it get them thinking about where they would want to travel if they could fly. The illustrations in the book are hand painted pictures using a lot of details to explain what they girl is picturing. What I get from reading this book that we need to use our imaginations more to express our happiness just like the girl in the book. ( )
  SSamson0 | Oct 20, 2015 |
38 months - I love the idea of a story quilt and this story is a combination of memory and fantasy. The illustration style is not necessarily my favorite but I enjoyed the story. O on the other hand completely refused to read it. This doesn't happen often but after flipping through the pages before I sat down to read she just made up her mind. What can you do? ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Tar Beach is a beautifully illustrated and wonderfully told story about a young girl, her family, and her dreams. This story discusses deep racial hardships and inequalities while describing how a little girl can escape these hardships through imagination and dreaming. The story is made from a quilt, so each different section of the quilt tells a different part of the story. It is beautifully done!

This story can be used as a basis for having students write their own blends of autobiography and fictional narrative. The author took some truthful bases for her story and added some flares of imagination to tell a larger story about herself and her family. Older students could have a lot of fun and imagination with this and create a piece of artwork to go with it.

Ringgold, Faith. (1991). Tar Beach. New York: Crown Publishers Inc. ( )
  kerrydaimon | Oct 16, 2015 |
Tar beach is an excellent multicultural book. The story is of a new world Cassie does to when flying from tar beach. The beach in reality is the top of a city building. This is where her family goes to spend time with the neighbors. When it gets late, and her parents are playing cards, at night she falls asleep on a mattress. This is where her journey begins. She flies above the city and dreams of what it would be like to be rich. She would own her favorite bridge and her father would have a steady job and they could eat ice cream every night for dinner. I love of the story hints that little Cassie lives in poverty but she doesn't outright say it. The illustrations in the story look like they were done by a child but they are very rich in color. The oil pastels make the textures fade so the color focus is prominent. This is a story that I would use in the classroom. I could use it when explaining the different places that people live. ( )
  JTansom | Oct 12, 2015 |
"I will always remember when the stars fell down around me and lifted me up above the George Washington Bridge."

Illus. in full color. "Ringgold recounts the dream adventure of eight-year-old Cassie Louise Lightfoot, who flies above her apartment-building rooftop, the 'tar beach' of the title, looking down on 1939 Harlem. Part autobiographical, part fictional, this allegorical tale sparkles with symbolic and historical references central to African-American culture. The spectacular artwork resonates with color and texture. Children will delight in the universal dream of mastering one's world by flying over it. A practical and stunningly beautiful book."--(starred) Horn Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

A young girl dreams of flying above her Harlem home, claiming all she sees for herself and her family. Based on the author's quilt painting of the same name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible