The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake by…

The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake (1995)

by Joanna Cole

The magic school bus is back to teach students about chemistry. Their next field trip takes them inside a cake to learn exactly what happens when you make and bake one.
1 book
  TUCC | Apr 10, 2018 |
This book explains the chemistry and science behind baking through beloved characters and a fun story. Like many of the books in this series, the magic school bus kids travel with the magic school bus to a bakery and learn all about how cakes are made, and how much of this process really involved a lot of science. t is a fun way to get children to learn a new subject in a way they have never thought of. I really liked this book because it teachers kids educational lessons in a really fun way. The pictures are fun while still staying true to the facts of the topic and really enhance a child's learning experience. ( )
  MadeleineJones | Nov 5, 2016 |
I have always like The Magic School Bus franchise. My favorite parts of these books is how the children are sucked into different adventures and they get to learn in a very different hands-on way. One thing I like about this book is that it didn't just talk about baking a cake, it also talked about other forms of chemistry. One character does an experiment with vinegar and baking soda, which I liked. Another thing I like about the story was how accurate it was to baking a cake. I like how it showed how to mix the ingredients. The thing that I liked the most was how the book goes into what it is like to be baked in a cake. It demonstrated how the cake looks inside when it is baked and what it is like. The main point of the story was to introduce baking and to give a childrens definition of chemistry. ( )
  mfurth1 | Mar 2, 2016 |
A birthday cake becomes an unusual chemistry lesson for the class.
  SABC | Jan 28, 2012 |
This is a great book (and series) for taking children 'inside" how things happen and why. Much to Arnold's ususal objections to class field trips, the class gets on the bus and enter the world of kitchen chemistry in celebration of Mrs. Frizzle's birthday. Things usually go awry and the children are left to get out of the "sticky situation" by using their apptitude skills and knowledge. This one just happens to highlight the chemistry in the kitchen, and the reward of knowledge comes in the form of a chocolate cake!

I really like watching the animated series for this cartoon, and having a print version is just as much fun. The simple explanations given in the story line are helpful and easy to understand. They also help adults give the information in simple terms for younger readers.

This is a great classroom helper to introduce chemistry to students. It gives concrete examples of it and highlights how this type of science is not just found in a laboratory with goggles and white lab jackets. Class activities could use the experiment at the end of the book for a hands on experience. Students can cut out a cake-shaped flip flap and decorate the front. Inside the flap chemistry facts can be written down. This type of unit must have hands on experiences, and cake taste-testing should be one of them! ( )
  angkimbrell | Oct 19, 2008 |

Joanna Coleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Degen, BruceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

When the class tries to bake a cake for Ms. Frizzle's birthday, they learn about reactions that occur when ingredients are combined.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,468,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible