The Planets in Our Solar System by Franklyn…

The Planets in Our Solar System (1981)

by Franklyn M. Branley

Series: Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science

This would be a great book to read to first or second graders to introduce the solar system (and it's new enough that the explain why Pluto isn't a planet any longer). The main character is also an African American woman and the kids show diversity which is nice to see. The book explains which planets you need a telescope to see and which you can see with your bare eyes. It briefly talks about how the moon is the Earth's satellite, asteroids, comets, and the differences between them. The book also explains the different temperatures on the planets and what would happen if our planet was in their places. It finishes by talking about the size of planets and explaining why the Earth is the perfect planet for us! After the story is over, it gives a few suggestions on activities that kids could do! ( )
  Miss_Annie_O | Sep 13, 2016 |
This book is an informational book on the planets and our solar system.
  sheanareed | May 22, 2015 |
Age: 5

Source: Pierce County Library

jessica_5906 | Jun 1, 2014 |
Nonfiction; Concept Book; This is a great text for teaching about the solar system. The illustrations are cartoons but the actual planet photos are real life which I feel enhances learning. I like how the book was organized, the author started by talking about the sun and then talked in depth about each planet. The main point of this text is to inform students about the solar system.
  Nataliewhite88 | Sep 26, 2012 |
Title: The Planets in Our Solar System
Author: Franklyn M. Branley
Summary:
“The Planets in Our Solar System” is a book about the nine planets. It gives pictures and facts of each planet. The book also contains facts about the other parts of the solar system- comets, meteoroids, and asteroids.
Personal Reaction:
I absolutely loved this book. My favorite collage course that I have taken thus far is Physical Science, where I was able to learn parts of Astronomy. I would definitely recommend this book and I will have it in my own personal library.
Extensions:
1) I will bring out the planetarium and have all of the children lay on their backs and help point out the different planets.
2) The students will split up into groups and each group will create a planet. We will bring them all together to create our own solar system. Each group will be required to tell me about their planet. ( )
  jilroebuck | Mar 20, 2008 |

Franklyn M. Branleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Madden, DonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'malley, KevinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006445178X, Paperback)

Where is it partly cloudy and 860°F?

Venus. Read about the eight planets in our solar system and Earth's special place in it. This book also includes instructions for making your own solar system mobile, and on the new "Find Out More" page learn how to track the moon and visit the best plant web sites.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:20 -0400)

Describes the nine planets and other bodies of the solar system; includes directions for making models showing the size of the planets and their distance from the sun.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible