Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto

Too Many Tamales (edition 1996)

by Gary Soto

Member:janetguzman
Title:Too Many Tamales
Authors:Gary Soto
Info:Puffin (1996), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:multicultural lit, holidays, family, interaction

Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto

I loved this book because it reminded me of how big a role food plays in my own family as well as the fact that is okay to make mistakes, an important thing for students to remember. ( )
  Andymcclellan_93 | Dec 4, 2014 |
This book is about young Maria who tries on her mother's ring and thinks she has lost it. When making the tamales, her and her cousins eat all of the tamales and they still can not find her mother's ring. One of her cousin's thinks he might have swallowed something hard. They are all panicking, and Maria doesn't know how to tell her mother she has misplaced her ring. Maria notices the ring on her mother's finger and shows a sign of relieve. Now that all the tamales are gone, they must make more. ( )
  emilyann93 | Nov 20, 2014 |
This book was a good multicultural book for kids to learn from because I feel as if food always interests young readers. It tells the story of Maria a young Spanish girl who helps her mother cook in the kitchen. I feel like you could also incorporate this is your classroom by asking young kids what their favorite Mexican or Spanish food they like or have cooked before?
  Jclark5 | Nov 3, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about Christmas time. A Christmas time unlike a Christmas, us Americans are familiar with. Maria, a young girl is helping her mother make tamales for Christmas dinner.All of the sudden when she is rolling out the dough for the tamales, she notices that she has lost her mothers ring in the dough!

Review:
I liked this book because i find it so interesting to hear about other cultures customs and traditions. The author wrote in a very sweet way and i absolutely loved the illustrations. ( )
  mnorth2 | Oct 8, 2014 |
Summary Of Book: This book is about a Hispanic family making tamales for their family during Christmas. Maria and her mother are making Tamales together and she feels like a grown up. Her mother takes off her ring while she is mixing the tamale masa up and Maria slips it on while she isn't looking. She loses the ring in the masa and is terrified that it is baked into the tamales. Her and her cousins decide the only way to find the ring is to eat all of the tamales. 24 tamales later, they can't find the ring anywhere and Maria is afraid her little cousin swallowed it and it's lost forever. She goes to tell her mother and sees that her mother is wearing the ring and is relieved. Since all the tamales are eaten, her entire family goes into the kitchen to make more and have a wonderful Christmas.

Personal Reaction: I liked this book because it reminded me of Christmases that my family would have together. We would also get together every year and make tamales just like Maria and her family did. Maria loved to make tamales with her mother and father and it shows a tradition of them doing it together. I think it's important for children to be included in these traditions. I remember it making me feel like I was part of something bigger. It was very special.

Extension ideas:
1. I would ask the children if they had any traditions in their homes and have them write me a story about their families traditions
2. I would have the children get with their parents and write down some of their favorite recipes so that we could bind them in a book for the whole class.
3. I would ask the children if they wanted to start any new traditions with their family every year and have them write them in a letter to their family. ( )
  Gizellecardiel | Jul 13, 2014 |

Gary Sotoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martinez, EdIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

While preparing dough for her family's Christmas tamales, Maria discovers that she has lost her mother's prized diamond ring somewhere in the dough and sets out to eat her way through the many finished tamales to find the missing ring.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0698114124, Paperback)

Maria is feeling so grown-up, wearing her mother's apron and helping to knead the masa for the Christmas corn tamales. Her mother even let Maria wear some perfume and lipstick for the big family celebration that evening. When her mother takes off her diamond ring so it won't become coated with the messy masa, Maria decides that life would be perfect if she could wear the ring, too. Trouble begins when she sneakily slips the sparkly ring on her thumb and resumes her kneading. Uh oh. It is not until later that night, after all the tamales have been cooked and after all her cousins and relatives have arrived, that Maria suddenly realizes what must have happened to the precious ring. Ed Martinez's warm oil paintings celebrate the riches of South American Christmas colors--adobe reds, dusty gold, lacey whites, and rain-forest greens. Martinez also has a gift for capturing children's animated expressions, especially when Maria begs her cousins to help her find the missing ring by secretly eating the enormous stack of steaming tamales! Gary Soto's delightful Christmas-spirit closure will relieve young readers who empathize with the negligent Maria. Grown-ups, too, will appreciate this playful reminder about the virtues of forgiveness and family togetherness. (Ages 4 and older) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:39 -0400)

Maria tries on her mother's wedding ring while helping make tamales for a Christmas family get-together. Panic ensues when hours later, she realizes the ring is missing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,318,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible