Tapestry of Spies by Stephen Hunter

Tapestry of Spies

by Stephen Hunter

196160,038 (2.92)None

I didn't like this one as well as his other novels. It's a stand alone &, while I think it was as well written, it just didn't ring as true to me. Either I didn't identify with the story as well or he didn't know the subject as well. I'm not sure which. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |

Stephen Hunter has chosen the backdrop of the chaotic and cruel Spanish Civil War to weave a classic tale of espionage and counterespionage. Julian Raines was one of the first Englishmen to volunteer for the international brigade in Spain. The British Secret Service suspect that the flamboyant Raines was recruited for the KGB by the Bolsheviks during his student days at Oxford and send Robert Florry, a struggling young writer to Spain after Raines with orders to eliminate him. Florry was an old school chum to Raines and had every reason to hate him. The British are not alone on Raines' trail. The ruthless Communist leader in Barcelona believes that the identity of the double agent conceals a powerful and profitable secret. It is a novel that constantly surprises.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

Robert Florry is blackmailed by British intelligence into hunting down an old friend of his, a former soldier in the Spanish Civil War and an alleged Soviet agent. Originally published as The Spanish Gambit. Reprint.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,158,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible